All reviews the pub royal oak sharing platter fish pie pudding belly pork beer festival sunday lunch ham hock scallops fabulous food booked a table cooked to perfection east midlands airport pie night main course brownie
Reviewed 4 September 2017

We booked room 5 for our 23rd wedding anniversary. The room was amazing, beautiful décor, fantastic bathroom with Jacuzzi bath and separate shower. Sunday night was Pie night and the food was fantastic. They also had a beer tent on site and the DJ who did the music on the 27th was brilliant! Staff were lovely and nothing was any trouble. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

We stayed at the The Royal Oak overnight in Room 10. The room was large and nicely furnished. My wife found the shower perfect for her, with a fixed head and one on the normal flexible hose. The staff were very friendly. The food was fantastic, well cooked and presented, with very good portions. The breakfast deserves special mention. It has been a long while since I have seen such a choice of dishes for breakfast. Apart from the normal, and extensive, full English there was also a choice of smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and bacon on an English muffin, vegetarian full English or crushed avocado and scrambled eggs on toast. All this in addition to the normal cereals, yoghut, several different varieties of fresh fruit, continental pastries. I will certainly be making return visits.

Room Tip: Rooms are, to my knowledge, all ground-floor motel-style rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Stayed on business in one of their newly finished rooms. Very friendly check in, and very nicely furnished and presented room. Modestly but warmly furnitured and although a small bathroom again very high standard of finish. Only thing missing from the room was a safe. Ate in the resturant which again was excellent, staff made you very welcome and food is a reason it was full locals. Breakfast has a wide choice and the cooked options again can't be faulted. Overall wish the Oak was in my village as if it was I'd be one of the locals!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights as base for a visit to 45 Gin school but this would be an excellent location for an overnight stay before travelling from the airport.

Accommodation is clean and comfortable and we had an excellent nights sleep. Room was well appointed, with a hairdryer, ironing board, tea and coffee and fridge. There is parking outside each room but if the pub it may be that visitors to the pub will be parked in the space. I would maybe advise the owners to replace the air freshener in the entrance lobby to the rooms, again maybe a personal preference but it not the most welcoming smell.

Breakfast was good and served in the pub.

We also ate in the pub one evening and booked on-line before arriving. The pub is very popular so make sure that you book. There is a good selection of drinks at the bar and a varied menu. If you want a slightly quieter meal I would advise booking a table in the dining room. Service was excellent and the food well presented. Personally I thought my starter lacked a little flavour but this may just been my personal preference and food was certainly of a high quality, well prepared and thought has certainly gone into the menu.

There was live music in the bar on the evening that we visited, a very skilled guitar player, who everyone seemed to enjoy.

We would stay again if we were in the area.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Why have I only just discovered this place? Delicious food, ample portions, great service. (If you've read any of my other reviews, you'll know I am critical of arty farty food artistically arranged to cover up small portions. )
This ,however, is food how it should be - it looks attractive and enticing, delivers on taste and there's plenty to eat ! I will be back !