“Very disappointing!”
Review of Conkers

Conkers
Reviewed 28 October 2017

£50 for 5 of us entry into this glorified walk! There was an assault course for the kids but even that was aimed at teenagers and adults so nothing for the 9, 7 and 5 year old we had with us.
The small maze you can see the end hut and the labyrinth thing isn't even a maze just a walk through. The gruffalo exhibit is a picture of a mouse and then you walk through a small path and there is a 5ft picture of a gruffalo - that is all!
The zip wire + high ropes you have to pay extra for and it isn't just a little it is £11 per person extra - the painting a cup had an extra charge aswell. The park was okay at the other end of the train track but theres many woods and parks you can play at and walk around for free!
The train is okay I guess
The 4D cinema is misleading as it isn't 4D - there was no special effects at all - it was a 3D screen with someone turning a light on and off a couple of times! Luckily it is included in the entry price.
The indoor play area again is okay.
The whole place is run down, there are no staff around - heaven forbid if anyone fell off anything - no health and safety people anywhere and no one to help. The amphitheatre was just left with no attraction, nothing went together, it just looked like it had been left. It needs re developing - The story hut has no story teller, nothing at all! The barefoot walk has 4 taps and 1 dryer! - I wish I had asked for a partial refund as I was disgusted with just how rubbish this place was...

1  Thank Gemmad1989
Mike S, Manager at Conkers, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry to read that you were disappointed, however, I must correct some of your comments.

Conkers charge £35.95 for a family of four and if you book online you can get 20% discount.

There are 3 play zones outside, only one (the assault course) is advised as teenagers only. The others cover all age groups.

The high and low ropes course prices start at £5.00 per session.

2 days ago we had over 2,000 people at Conkers who, for the most part, enjoyed their day and stayed 4 to 5 hours.

I'm sorry if you missed the free family shows which are also included in your admission price and the Discovery Centre indoor play zone.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"great family day"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

Arranged to meet my sister there today. They arrived before me and had booked into the 2:20 slot for the 4D cinema so as we arrived after them about 12:00pm we Tried to book the same slot but was told the next slot was 4pm (same for the low ropes) The staff on reception seemed like they were having a bad day and there was no opportunity to engage or communicate with their customers even thou at this point there was no queue, they were generally unhelpful!

So come 2:20 My 5 year old son and I Waited outside the cinema next to the small queue whilst my sister and kids went in.

When she came out she told me that the cinema was only half full!

Prior to it starting She approached the member of staff on the door to ask if me & my son could go in. The staff member asked if I had got a ticket, so she explained that No we hadn’t as I was told it was full, then got a blank response, no further engagement from said staff member. Would it of really hurt for us to of gone in??

As for the rest, to sum it up, Conkers is Definitely not value for money (not even with offers) & we won’t be visiting again.

1  Thank kateyMidlands
Mike S, Manager at Conkers, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Sorry to read of your disappointment and of the confusion on the pre-booked 4D cinema times. Unfortunately all of the seats were booked for the theatre up until 4.00pm so we are obliged to hold bookings for the ticket holders. It may be that some did not turn up for the pre-booked slots and I can only apologise if our theatre hosts failed to spot the opportunity to let you join your friends. This clearly upset your day which is frustrating for us as having invested £400,000 to improve our customers experience, we seem to have failed on this occasion. I do hope that despite this setback you come to see us again.

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

I have actually been visiting this attraction for a number of years. It has something for everyone: Inside the building there is a shop, toilets and a large tearoom. In another area there is the educational section with plenty of interactive experiences teaching young people about trees, insects and nature - it is popular with Primary Schools.
Outside there are opportunities for walks around a lake. As you progress around the grounds there are climbing activities for young teenagers and these are very popular and great activities for younger visitors.
To add to the overall pleasure there is a short ‘train’ ride for adults and children to the neighbouring play area with helter-skelter, swings, climbing frames and seats for the adults and a kiosk with soft drinks, ice lollies and choc ices. There is also a tearoom with toilets in this area.
The extensive car park is free.
This is a very special place where a day visit makes the entrance fee so worthwhile !!!

Mike S, Manager at Conkers, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Thank you for your review and excellent feedback. We are a popular visit for schools and families and it's good to get some appreciative comments, so thank you and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

The Discovery Centre is old & tired. We found that about half of the ‘interactions’ were broken. The ‘4D’ cinema show was boring - no storyline & just the odd splash of water to remind you it was supposed to be 4D. The train between the 2 sites kept breaking down and the driver had to put sand on the tracks to keep it moving. Some guy was doing a live show involving bubbles, but his mic was busted so it didn’t make any sense. The outdoor walkways were really muddy or flooded, even though there hadn’t been much rain. We paid a tenner each and were bored after 90 minutes. A total rip off best avoided.

2  Thank Simon H
Mike S, Manager at Conkers, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Thank you for your review. We do value everyone's views, but on this case I also need to correct some of the statements that you have made.

The Discovery Centre was built and opened in 2001, as a millennium project and each year we add different elements to the exhibits. 16 years is not too old in our view. We have over 100 interactive exhibits in the Centre and yes, at any one time, 3 or 4 may be undergoing repair or replacement. They are checked every morning before we start.

This year we have invested in a new 4D cinema and new exhibit areas. The new Halloween themed film is actually being very well received and has all the 3D elements, plus the water, bumps and leg ticklers etc.

The train has not broken down during the last week, although in wet weather, our train crew do put sand onto the rail to stop slippage. It is misleading to say the train kept breaking down because this is not the case.

"Some guy doing bubbles" is one of the award winning children's shows featured on TV and the act is very popular and over the weekend we know of no issues with that microphone. This is, of course, a very visual show with children central to the act.

Outdoor in our 120 acres of grounds, there are some puddles but mainly the pathways are clear, certainly not flooded and it has been very wet over the past month.

I am not sure what you were looking for but the entry price per adult at £19.95 with 20% off if you book online in advance is excellent value, even if you only spent 1.5 hours with us. We are now fully underway with half term and getting some great feedback.

Sorry if your own experience failed to satisfy your needs.

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

I decided to come here for my young sons birthday as the last time I came was years ago for a bonfire night.

Gaining access was simple and straightforward and the girl on reception was thorough in her information including the 4D cinema and regaining access if we need to step outside.

First place to explore was right there in front of us which in some parts left me disheartened as it seemed poorly maintained. But the exploring was fun.

Then it was time for the 4D cinema which to be honest was a first for myself as it was for my son too. It was very loud and fun and it scared the bejesus out of a couple of toddlers behind us and it freaked my son out a bit too because the effects were that good but I sat him on my lap and he was fine. It’s only a short film which is fine as I think of it was any longer it would’ve been too much.

Next it was back to the car for pre-prepared food and back inside. It seemed to pick up with people trying to get back in and they only had a couple of young girls on reception. I got fed up of waiting to show my receipt to regain access so just walked straight back in.

It was then time for the external exploration which was loads of fun. I know the assault course was for teens and adults but we had loads of fun on there and I was beside my son the whole way to ensure his safety.

The rest of the place was loads of fun to explore and the simple little train ride was great too. Short and sweet.

One thing I did notice was the lack of staff working there throughout my visit. Apart from that and some of the internal stuff could use a little attention it was a great day out.

Mike S, Manager at Conkers, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Thanks for your review and great to know you enjoyed your day. Sorry that there was a delay on reception. Normally straightforward getting in and out with your pass. We do have over 30 staff in the centre but it's very spread out with two centres and 120 acres and of course our train and outdoor activities.

Hope to see you again and we do have a change of 4D film for Christmas and feature Winter Wonderland with snow and wind effects.