“Cow Pie”

The Red Cow
Ranked #18 of 57 Restaurants in Sandwich
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Red Cow dates back to the 14th century . It is a traditional family run black and white pub with a beer garden offering home cooked food, traditional Sunday lunch and real ales.
Reviewed 6 March 2018

We have visited the red cow 5 times now for lunch and dinner, (voting with our feet) on our first dinner visit I went for the Cottage Pie, it was a toss up between this and the Steak and Stilton Pie which was on special, it was a picture when it came up so I did a plate shot and sent it to friends, big jug of gravy and plenty of veg, the pie did not disappoint, full of meat and topped with creamy mashed potato and extra melted cheddar (optional), the plate shot worked and our friends asked us to join them for the Sunday roast, so we booked for the following sunday, the service was great and we were offered the option of the special within the Sunday lunch menu, Great! So I went for that Steak and Stilton Pie that I had been thinking about since my last visit, Large chunks of tender steak in a beautiful stilton sauce.. Fantastic! Our friends roasts looked great too (large Portions) lashings of gravy Yorkshire puddings and veg piled high, exactly how a traditional pub roast should be, in our next visit (evening midweek) we took more friends who wanted to eat out, this time I had the Smoked Salmon starter which was a really good quality salmon, a cut above the usual supermarket types, and for the main, Pie of course, this time I had the Chicken and bacon, the same beautiful pastry as before with big chunks of chicken and a rich creamy sauce, my friend had the Lamb Shank in red wine sauce which looked and smelt fantastic (I'm having that next time) on his recommendation, good hearty food in a traditional English pub with a fine selection of ales what more could you want on a cold winters day? (Friendly service and an open fire) they had that too!

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Uffizzi

Reviewed 4 March 2018

We had a family evening out here. Initially only one person serving until a friend ? helped her out! The service was excellent - the food was really nice and with good beer and a pleasant atmosphere I would definatley go back. Well done to the chef!!

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 4 February 2018

A bit spit and sawdust in appearance but the food was very good and the staff excellent. Worth a visit for a good lunch

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 27 January 2018

We came here on a Friday night in November. It wasn't busy at all and the people who were there were smiley and friendly. Staff were friendly and welcoming. We both ordered a pie from the specials board. After about 15 minutes the food arrived hot and freshly cooked. From the first mouthful to the last, it was the tastiest pub meal we've ever had. Portions aren't small and it leaves you not needing or even wanting a dessert! I would highly recommend and we will be returning for sure!

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 9 January 2018

We had lunch here and it was great. The food was clearly freshly made and the pie especially was just chunks of meat. The staff were so friendly and helpful whilst clearly being really busy. Def. recommend eating here.

Date of visit: December 2017

Been to The Red Cow? Share your experiences!