“Total lack of customer care”

The Hop and Huffkin
Ranked #6 of 58 Restaurants in Sandwich
Price range: US$7 - US$33
Cuisines: British, Bar, Cafe, Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Hop and Huffkin provides a contemporary and casual dining and bar experience, serving great Kentish food from an original and seasonally changing menu. Our bar is stocked with Kentish beers, ciders, wines, spirits, fruit juices and mineral waters. We are passionate about supporting local producers and are members of Produced in Kent. We serve food from 10:00 to 21:30 Monday to Saturday and until 20:30 on Sunday
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Seriously avoid this place!! All you have to do is read the owners responses to negative reviews and you will see just how rude and obnoxious this establishment is!! Seriously you guys are so obviously clueless it's embarrassing! You have no idea how to make a family with children feel welcome. Your only concern when we were waiting to be seated was that the door behind us was closed??!! Never mind 'hello' or 'we will be with you in a minute'.... which is pretty much the usual response when entering a restaurant. We just got glared at and literally told rudely to shut the door behind us!! Seriously we had just walked in and had a pram with baby and a child, and bearing in mind we hadn't even opened the doors or left them open as there were people coming in after us!! It's a shame as we have eaten here in the past, although the service wasn't great then but the food was okay. But judging by your responses from other reviews we know you won't care or want us back but we wouldn't want to come back and will be letting everyone else not to bother as well.

Ian L, Owner at The Hop and Huffkin, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

We fortunately live in a country where we have the right to freedom of speech, but judging from your comments you feel that this freedom should only be the prerogative of the customer. Surely, I have the right to defend my livelihood if I feel I am being unjustly accused?

Firstly, I will apologise, because you are entirely correct, I should have greeted you before asking you to close the door. My only slight excuse, as you will have been aware, was that I trying to seat the group who had walked in just in front of you (I originally thought you were all together) and also check to see if we might be able to seat you in the rear area of the restaurant. It is not possible to assess this without going into the rear area and therefore walking away from where you were standing.
Although some customers do believe they are the most important person when they walk into the restaurant, I also have a duty of care for the customers already seated and eating. The group sitting by the open front door had already been up twice to close the door left open by previous customers and I suppose I was feeling a little over protective to them. I know for a fact that my request for you to close the door was followed by the word "please", because irrespective of how you perceive my customer service skills, I do have good manners.
So, you have given us a bad review and you obviously intend to recommend to all your family and friends that they avoid my business, which is disappointing. I accept that my communication to you could certainly have been better. I hope you will consider if you are overreacting a little to what was after all a simple request for you to close the door! Ironically, we didn't have room to fit you in anyway, which now means the worst three reviews we have had in the last 12 months have been from customers who have not eaten in the Hop!

Reviewed 8 January 2018

We had lunch today. Thank you Trip Adviser reviewers for your recommendation.The Monday set lunch is very good value. We had the special scotch egg between us - absolutely delicious- I had cod with different vegetables puréed which was melt in the mouth. Husband had pork burger and local beer and he was very happy. Somehow we managed ice cream - lemon curd and honeycomb- and a chocolate mousse with pears. Both really good. Service was friendly and helpful. There is a relaxed welcoming atmosphere. We liked the bigger sized tables - so often you are squashed up. The restaurant is light and airy. Highly recommended. Great food and nice people. We went on a cloudy cold Monday in January and it was pretty busy so I would suggest booking ahead. The restaurant is a minute ‘s walk from the bus stop.

1  Thank Beverley73
Ian L, Owner at The Hop and Huffkin, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Thank you for your great review and recommendation, Beverley. I am very pleased our previous TripAdvisor reviewers encouraged you to visit the Hop. We always have a "Happy Monday" menu available (not surprisingly on Monday!) with 2 Courses for £15 and 3 Courses for £19, which we think is very good value, and by the sounds of it so did you! Its not often I get called friendly either, so that's good as well!

Reviewed 5 January 2018

Simply fantastic! Recommended by locals as the best place for home made soup and it was excellent however, the menu was so interesting we had to sample the sharing platter. Every morsel was delicious and we were surprised by the bill- incredible value for beautiful food. Fish cakes that just thinking of them now makes my mouth water! Lush home made tartare sauce. I think you'd have to go a long way to beat this place. Lovely local food, freshly prepared and beautifully served, oh an in a really nice relaxed environment. Saw some great plates of food being delivered to other tables... will definitely return - soon!

Ian L, Owner at The Hop and Huffkin, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2018

Thanks for the great review, Lucy. It is always great when we exceed expectations and also nice to know that the locals are happy to recommend us! If you liked the fishcakes make sure you try the fisherman's pie when you come back!

Reviewed 4 January 2018

We had lunch last week which was very pleasant and relaxed a very busy lunch but service was very good.

Thank you for your good review, Conrad. I am pleased you enjoyed your lunch and you had good service on your visit to the Hop.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

I always look forward to eating here in Sandwich. Really nice venue, good service and always good, no excellent local traditional kentish food. Never been disapionted here at all.

1  Thank Andrew P
Ian L, Owner at The Hop and Huffkin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

Thank you for the great and generous review. If I remember you correctly, you were in yesterday when we (you!) discovered the braised beef was a little on the chewy side....now resolved with a fresh batch! As a chef yourself, you were very understanding. We try very hard to get it right all the time, but its great when customers understand the issues you can some times have with things like the quality of meat.