“Brilliant Pie and Pint night- best pie I have ever had!”

The Hop and Huffkin
Ranked #7 of 58 Restaurants in Sandwich
Price range: US$6 - US$32
Cuisines: British, Bar, Cafe, Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Hop and Huffkin provides a contemporary and casual dining and bar experience, serving great Kentish food from an original and seasonally changing menu. Our bar is stocked with Kentish beers, ciders, wines, spirits, fruit juices and mineral waters. We are passionate about supporting local producers and are members of Produced in Kent. We serve food from 10:00 to 21:30 Monday to Saturday and until 20:30 on Sunday
Reviewed 10 September 2017

Myself and my partner recently visited the Hop and Huffkin for their Pie and Pint night, after missing out previously to it being fully booked! Upon arrival we were told that one of the pies was unavailable, which at first, sounded like the best pie on the menu, but oh how we were wrong! My partner had the fish pie, and I had the lamb sheppard's pie, and both were absolutely incredible, so tasty! We cannot wait to visit again next time we are in Sandwich on a Tuesday evening, thankyou!

Ian L, Owner at The Hop and Huffkin, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Thanks for the great review, Chloe. I am really pleased you enjoyed your Pie Night. The meat pastry pie is nearly always the one that sells out first, so you need to get hear early on your next visit!

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

We popped in for a light lunch at The Hop and Huffkin.
Their menu made it possible to create our own lunch.
The halloumi and bruschietta were very tasty and the cider - Jake's Kentish cider was very good.
The staff was very helpful and the place was nice.

Thank you for your good review. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit, local cider and the Hop Sharing board, the latter of which is very popular.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

We visited today for a late breakfast. We both went for the
Kentish Breakfast and were not disappointed. Wholesome, well cooked food. It was good to see gluten free (GF) sausages available and so just toast was missing if you went GF.

The service was excellent and although the meal was a little expensive (we had to buy drinks on top) it was a good way to start the day.

Thanks for the great review, David. Unfortunately, locally sources bacon, eggs and Sausages come at a price. We don't claim to be the cheapest in town, but we do try to serve a great, tasty breakfast!

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I were looking for somewhere to eat on Saturday night as we were in the area. We hadn't booked but they fitted us in. The decor and furniture are simple but adequate.
We both had the Fisherman's pie then a toffee apple pecan crumble both if which were very good.
The service was slow because they were understaffed but otherwise highly recommended.

Thank you for your good review, Robert. I am pleased you enjoyed your meals and our "adequate" decor. Assuming the Saturday to which you refer was 2nd September, I am sorry to hear you felt you had slow service. Firstly, we prioritise our customers with reservations and as you said, we did fit you in. Secondly, we do not use microwaves and a Fisherman's Pie takes 20 minutes in our oven. Finally, we had 3 staff working in the front of house and 3 in the kitchen and this is how we operate every Saturday night. More staff would require higher prices and in a very competitive market like Sandwich, that would be very unpopular with our regulars!

Reviewed 24 August 2017

I popped in today for lunch with a friend, having never eaten at the hop before. I had the caesar salad, but also a sharing platter with my friend which contained some of the nicest foods I've eaten in a long time. The falafel is to die for, and the fish cakes, well, I don't particularly like salmon, but these were incredible too. And the pickled cucumber was something I could happily eat on a daily basis! Definitely looking forward to going back there again to eat sometime.

Ian L, Owner at The Hop and Huffkin, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Thanks for the great review, John. I am really pleasaed you enjoyed our sharing board. It has been very popular here. I can definitely vouch for a picked cucumber and cheddar sandwich. One of my favourite snacks! We look forward to seeing you again.