“Outstanding!”

Ranked #7 of 58 Restaurants in Sandwich
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

3rd visit to this excellent fish 'n chip shop. Eat outside if warm or upstairs if not. Chips are to die for, cod either battered or grilled is the best tasting fish you can get. Usually open winter or summer.

3  Thank Graham S

Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

My grandson went to this establishment to get fish and chips. We have used this place for a few years and have always found the food good.
The fish and chips had absorbed the oil and the chips were oozing oil. We could not eat the food and threw it in the bin.
I called Papas to say the food is normally very good but this time it was disgusting! He argued and said that he had not received any other complaints that day . He said that I was no longer welcome in the shop and was banned from the establishment. I smiled to myself as I thought how could he ban me when I had not given my name !!
After that treatment I would not dream of buying another thing from that shop ......

7  Thank Pauline B
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

I can't understand what all the fuss is about. This is one of the worst 'fish and chips' I've ever eaten. We'd had a great day driving the Kent Coast and grabbed a celebratory fish supper to eat 'al fresco' by the river in Sandwich. We all found the fish to be dry and the chips greasy & lifeless. We left half of it. Maybe Southerners are just used to paying over the odds for rubbish.

2  Thank Robsski
Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

We called in for take out fish and chips mid evening. There was a short queue of customers waiting but our order was taken quickly.

Our meals were cooked to order and the quality was second to none. Lovely fresh cod, good batter and loads of chunky chips. Delicious. A real treat and we will be back soon.

2  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

I found this place by accident as it is not situated on a through road in a Sandwich town. I had previously visited the two other Fish n Chip shops in the town and was very disappointed at the poor greasy food they served. So to find Papas was an absolute godsend!!
The food is always cooked fresh to order except for an hour or so when the place is that busy that it is still no more than 2-3 minutes out of the fryer.
The Fish (cod) is to die for, although they do serve others like haddock, rock, plaice, hake and mackerel to name but a few.
The chips are chunky and crispy with that wonderfully soft fluffy middle.
There is a sit down restaurant upstairs but I have never used it.
I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Great staff providing great service providing great food.
It is situated a few seconds away from the toll gate bridge which is 2-3 minutes walk from the main town.
Don't miss this place on a visit to Sandwich!!

3  Thank M_H8816