“Wonderful late evening dinner - almost had the place to ourselves”
Review of Mermaids Locker

Mermaids Locker
Ranked #15 of 58 Restaurants in Sandwich
Description: The Mermaids Locker Alehouse and Restaurant, located within a 13th Century hall house in the heart of Sandwich. Offering a variety of locally sourced cask ales, artisan ciders and craft spirits, alongside a freshly cooked and regularly changing menu which is supported by an extensive wine list. We host monthly events, including a supper club and live music - check our Facebook page for more detailed information. The Mermaid is also available for private bookings for intimate parties or small corporate events.
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We arrived in Sandwich looking for a place for evening meal. We tried almost every pub near the market square area only to be turned away by all - the kitchens all seem to close by 8:30 pm in this place... But then we discovered the Mermaids Locker... I pleaded to be fed and the kind man behind the counter checked briefly with his chef and we were welcomed to stay.

We took the large table in this tiny, cosy restaurant and settled down. To begin with I ordered a German based cask ale whilst the family stuck to soft drinks. We then ordered from the menu - two of us went for the toad in the hole with saute potatoes and thick red wine based gravy. The third had meat balls on spaghetti. As we waited for everything to be freshly cooked (we were duly warned that this could take 20 minutes or so), we nibbled on bread and a small bowl of olives. And struck up a conversation with the three other guests who, we later discovered were related and good friends of the waiter & chef. They certainly added to the entertainment and made us feel welcome.

The meal was excellent and we decided to really push the boat out and order dessert - profiteroles with ice cream for me and a shared sticky toffee pudding & custard for the rest of the family.

As is often the case, the chance discover of something different turned out to be a great success. We probably wouldn't have even found the Mermaids Locker if we hadn't really been desperate to find a late evening dining place. It's pretty much hidden next to a kebab shop! But once discovered we realised that we had found a gem. And, I shouldn't forget that the decor here is something very special - something like an antique shop. I found mesmerised by an ancient portrait of a mysterious pretty young lady whom I was reliably informed was French and had been painted after her death... Like all the pictures and many of the artefacts here, they could be purchased. Miss "Ghostly One" was up for sale for the princely sum of 150 Pounds sterling :-)

Reviewed 30 March 2018

A few weeks ago, owner Gavin overheard us chatting in a local pub, saying we’d heard good reports about this place. He came over to introduce himself and his enthusiasm was plain to see. Well, we tried it for ourselves this week and it lived right up to expectations. The gourmet burgers were the best we’ve ever had. We followed with a top notch Kentish cheeseboard and sticky toffee pudding. With Hoegaarden from the bar, too, it would be churlish not to give full marks!

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Been here before. Lovely place. Had the garlic and shallot soup! What a meal! Generous portion and price. One of the nicest souped I’ve had.
Good variety of wine and beer, draught larger. Very nice - worth a visit.

On a friends page.

E.H

Reviewed 4 March 2018

We went on a thurs - this was also a music night. Initially rather unsure of eating a family meal in a small place with live music... but it was really good. Service excellent - we had a long wait for the food but the long wait was really worth it! Obviously it was cooked just for us and it was really appreciated.

Reviewed 29 January 2018

I've lived in Sandwich for almost two years now, and the reputation for the Mermaids Locker has grown so much I thought it time to try it out myself.

I had the smoked salmon and beetroot starter with homemade tartar sauce. Absolutely delicious - enough to have as a main.

Given the size of the starter, I thought I'd regret ordering the Ostrich steak, but I'm so glad I did. It was fantastic, and the meat so tender you could cut it with a butter knife.

I had my parents down for the weekend, and I can say that their starter/main combo's of stuffed mushroom/pork medallions and lamb cutlets/toad in the hole were equally well received.

Washed down with a couple of pints of the German Spaten lager to complete a perfect Saturday night meal in Sandwich.

Will definitely be revisiting, and as it's a small place I imagine it's best to book as the reputation is growing rapidly in Sandwich, and no doubt beyond!

Been to Mermaids Locker? Share your experiences!