“Toyah Willcox might be playing here soon but this terrific pub "is no longer a mystery ...to me !”

The Fleur de Lis Hotel, Bar, Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 58 Restaurants in Sandwich
Price range: US$6 - US$31
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Fleur De Lis Hotel, Bar and Restaurant has 11 en suite bedrooms with flat screen tv's, irons, complimentary coffee and tea facilities plus free wifi. The hotel blends comfort and traditional english service; we want to make your stay as relaxing and enjoyable as possible. The Fleur de Lis also offers meeting facilities for up to 20 people, with free Wi-Fi so why not hold a meeting in an historic building and escape the busy office? Breakfast is served from 7am to 9am and food is served daily from 12pm 3pm/6pm - 9pm..
Reviewed 10 October 2018

Was in Sandwich today to visit the local auction and decided on a whim to try this pub / restaurant after seeing the reasonably priced lunch menu .
We are both so glad that we did because we found this to be a friendly and welcoming pub , with Richard ( Owner ) and his able barmaid bothbeing very accommodating .
We took advantage of 2 main meals on the lunchtime menu for a bargain £10 !!!
I had the cod & Chips , the fish came in a gorgeous batter and this was served with chips , mushy peas , tartar sauce and a wedge of lemon !
I can recommend that dish easily ! My other half had scampi and chips, mushy peas , tartar sauce and again a wedge of lemon , and like me was very happy with her choice .
Both meals we thought were excellent value for money .
The people on the next table sat next to us both ordered the Plough Mans lunch .
Wow ! That looked Excellent with quality ham , cheese, pickled onion , gherkin etc .
I'll be giving that a try next time I'm in Sandwich .
I was very happy with my pint of Bitter Shandy ......and you should see the list of different Gins that this bar stocks !
It's got to be one of .if not THE largest choice of Gin selection in this country !!!
Nice touch Richard!!! And Finally .....I couldn't believe it when I found out by chance that the 80's singer Toyah Willcox is singing here this coming weekend .
Apparently it's sold out ! I,m not surprised but what a great thing for this pub to do to be able to attract an singer who is celebrating 40 years in the business to be able to play at this intimate but cracking pub !!!! Well done to all concerned !
I can't wait to come back again very soon .

Date of visit: October 2018
6  Thank thevillanchris

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Very very friendly staff welcoming us and showing us the room.
We stayed here as it was my birthday. We brought a bottle of prosecco which was kindly kept cold in the kitchen fridge. A wine cooler was provided when we wanted to drink it when getting ready. Beds are comfortable and shower room was very large. Overall a very comfortable birthday stay for a very reasonable price!

Good evening entertainment too :)

Date of visit: October 2018
4  Thank Rutjesvh
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

We had dinner at the Fleur de Lis with a group of friends. It’s a nice building and there was live music playing in the bar.

The staff were reasonably attentive and the food very moderately priced.

Our first choice of starters (Calamari) was not available so we chose an alternative.

The seafood platter was completely underwhelming. Limp, tasteless frozen prawns, deep fried goujons and disappointing mussels. We told the waiter about this and he did offer to bring more mussels or prawns, missing the point that the food was not at all good and we didn’t want to eat it.

We skipped pudding and went straight to coffee being mildly surprised when the bill came that no adjustment had been made for the two virtually untouched seafood platters.

Ok for cheap pub grub but not recommended for anything more.

Date of visit: August 2018
Richard H, Owner at The Fleur de Lis Hotel, Bar, Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2018

Hi,

Very sorry to see you had a bad experience on the night in question.

Unfortunately we had a few issues over that weekend, the chefs working that weekend were working their last shifts before leaving the business. I think that may have affected the performance, which is still not an excuse.

However, we now have new chefs and have had a great response to the food they have been cooking. I’d love to see if you’d be interested in giving us another go and hopefully changing your opinion on the food.

Feel free to give me a call and book a table at some point and I will ensure you receive a discounted meal and free drink.

Kind regards,

Richard
01304 611131
The Fleur De Lis

Reviewed 9 August 2018

A quick lunch with friends one of whom had to get back to work so time was of the essence. The restaurant looks as if it has been done up very nicely and the waitress who brought menus was particularly friendly. I had a Rustic Sandwich (with prawns and Marie Rose sauce) and I asked for chips instead of crisps with the salad that came with it. It was extremely filling and the prawns were massive. Very nice chips too and a nice glass of Merlot. Friends had a quiche and a duck wrap. It was lovely and clean and had a nice cosy feel in the bar area too. Definitely more cosy than it was previously and the food was smashing and a generous portion. Waitress checked that everything was ok too which was nice. Definitely will return for lunch again.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank 17debbies
Reviewed 18 July 2018

Slightly bizarre menu I found for lunch but a popular place. I went for the Whitebait and Sweet Potato Fries which was solid enough. Not amazing but it is what it is I guess. My wife had a burger which she really didn't enjoy. However the service was nice although it seemed a little clicky with the locals.

Date of visit: May 2018