All reviews white company toiletries opposite the winter gardens sea view ceiling fan old town boutique hotel lovely hotel high standard both dinner and breakfast no lift turner contemporary little gem road noise public car park top floor ironing board staff were lovely
Reviewed 26 September 2018

We stayed one night and the staff were lovely and helpful. There is no parking for the hotel so you do need to find a park on the street. As we didn’t want to leave our suitcases in the car and had a overnight bag, the staff were happy to store our suitcases as they don’t have a lift. The room was lovely decorated and had a lovely view of the water. The traffic is noisy but the room was worth it. We chose to eat dinner at the hotel and the waiter was great and made our night enjoyable. Breakfast was good and no complaints. If we get the chance we would stay there again as we are overseas guests.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank faing84
MichaelaN329, Manager at Crescent Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
We are very lucky here at the Crescent Victoria with many rooms having a Beautiful Sea View.
I'm glad you enjoyed your Meals and found the staff to be Lovely and Helpful and we hope to welcome
you back to the Hotel again very soon.

Reviewed 15 September 2018

Booked by phone as I wanted to check whether the double room could be converted to a twin, which was confirmed. However, was quoted £130/140 for the room and when I pointed out that it was £117 (non-refundable) online, I was questioned which website I was looking at. When told it was the hotel's own website, the woman said that was a special price but agreed to it. There is no consistency here and staff must be made aware of the online price!

The room was very clean, attractive and spacious enough, with very comfortable beds. There was a problem with the door rattling every time another door was slammed, and waking us each time. The breakfast (one Vegetarian and one Eggs Florentine) was poorly cooked and barely edible so on the second morning we skipped it and ate in town. On the second evening we were tired and decided to eat in the hotel restaurant so went down at 9.15, only to be told by a very offhand waitress that it had closed at 9 even though the hotel info said it was open until 10. The staff all looked uninterested and one suggested that we eat at Wetherspoons. Eventually the one delightful receptionist, Mary, helped us order pizza delivery!

As we were getting ready to leave in the morning, a phone call to our room at 11.10am curtly informed me that checkout was 11.00. We went to checkout where the monosyllabic receptionist asked for our room key and mumbled goodbye with no smile, thanks or wish that we had enjoyed our stay.

Overall we were very disappointed that for £117 this 'boutique' hotel was, with one or two notable exceptions, completely lacking staff who had any concept of customer service and who mostly seemed bored. Some professional training for the chef and the hotel staff might bring it close to being worth even our reduced price. A sea view and a pleasant room does not turn a basic hotel into a 'boutique' one

Room tip: Front is spacious with great view but noisy on party nights at Winter Gardens across the street.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Helen-Sarah48
MichaelaN329, Manager at Crescent Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
We do have 2 Rates of pay.. a ‘Pre-pay’ rate which is Non-Refundable and a ‘Pay on Arrival’ which costs a little more but may be cancelled up to 24hours before. Outside Companies also offer various discounts from time to time which is why the Receptionist wanted to clarify this with you. I am sorry to hear of the problems you encountered with Staff and can assure you that there have since been many changes here at the Crescent Victoria, Including New Chefs and Waiters, as well as a whole new Exciting Menu currently being brought in by Pasha Margate. Should you wish to stay with us again I would also like to offer you a Free Upgrade to one of our Beautiful Deluxe Sea View Rooms and sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future to restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 13 September 2018

We booked a one night stay at the hotel to celebrate my wife's 65th birthday, the decision to visit Margate being made after hearing about the towns revival.
The hotel is situated on a rather busy road which links Margate to the adjacent towns of Broadstairs and Ramsgate.
Whilst there are sea views it's not clear that the road is quite so busy. As previous reviewers have indicated, the road is quite run-down with varying amounts of building works and rubbish littering the area. But then again, this seems to be in keeping with Margate in general.
There is no parking at the hotel but they do suggest that there is a car park within a couple of minutes walk. We found the car park with ease and it seems to be relatively unused and unusually clean for Margate. There are several disabled bays which allow free parking.
On arrival at the hotel the recptionist was quite efficient and quickly showed us to our room.
This was 'designer' decorated and unfortunately, whilst it looked very 'co-ordinated'
the furniture would prove to be rather useless if anybody were to stay for a longer break. Cabinets with lots of small draws don't make up for the lack of space in the wardrobe, half of which is taken up by the tea and coffee facilities. Another point, when you pull the tray out to make a coffee it bangs on the door to the bathroom.
The bathroom was a reasonable size with a twin headed shower.
The room was nice clean, as were the other areas of the hotel that we used.
We took breakfast & booked for dinner in the restaurant.
There is one waitress who came across as very friendly and helpful despite the fact that she had only been working there for a couple of weeks. She managed well with the number of people having dinner that evening but I couldn't help feeling that she was stretched at breakfast, simply because of the additional number of people present.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
MichaelaN329, Manager at Crescent Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you found the Hotel to be Clean and Well Decorated and Staff to be Friendly and Efficient. The road outside can sometimes get a little busy but it isnt usually a problem. We are all very proud here of the Crescent Victoria and like to ensure our Beautiful Rooms are as Fully Equipped as possible for our guests. Certainly in some areas of Margate there is work being carried out (as in most Towns) but once completed this will only add to the Charm and Character Margate has to offer.
Please do come back and stay with us again in the future and investigate the revival of the Town further.

Reviewed 4 September 2018

The hotel is situated in a very rundown area, with what I can only describe as scruffy bedsits on both sides, with overflowing rubbish bags and discarded old bikes along the whole front.
For £220+ I didn't expect when paying cash to have every banknote scrutinised and marked with a counterfeit pen right in front of me.
Room was clean but tiny, resembling nothing like the featured advertising pictures.
En suite was just a corner of the already small room boxed off at an angle with tiny twin doors opening onto the bed and no lock.
No parking facilities and no recommendations given, we however used the local police station car park.
Day and evening staff were hard pressed to even acknowledge you never mind smile.
Still lets pour a drink, open the window, but it only opens 3 inches and its really hot, relax and look onto the beautiful courtyard?.
Before the management reply making excuses, blame me for looking shady etc etc, have a look at the picture I took of the "beautiful courtyard", a picture never lies, nor does my review.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
MichaelaN329, Manager at Crescent Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.. I certainly will Not make excuses or "Blame you for looking shady" In fact I am only too pleased that my staff were doing their job correctly and checking the Bank Notes they Received.. It is far too easy for 'any of us' to accidentally pick up a forged Bank Note nowadays..

We take our guests safety very seriously here at the hotel and it is for that reason that Health and Safety insist windows should not open all of the way, obviously I cannot comment on other establishments lack of care in this area but we certainly would not want any accidents, the window and fan provided are more than adequate for most people. I can honestly say having driven to work this evening that I did not see a single bicycle along the Sea Front (other than ones in use). Obviously I cannot comment on how many Bin Bags Neighbours may have put out that day and can only apologise on their behalf. We always state in our adverts that we do not have any Parking.. Staff are always more than happy to assist and direct guests to the Public Car Park only 2 Minutes away.

With regards to our Rooms, we have 14.. These range from a Single to Double, Double De-Luxe and Sea View.. I am sorry you did not get a particular room you had seen advertised, if you had stated at the time of Booking a particular room had caught your eye then we would of course have done our utmost to put you in your desired room, as we do with numerous guests that 'do' mention this at the time of booking.

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel in room 10. The room was very nicely decorated but extremely small. We paid £160 for the night with breakfast which was at the top end for prices in Margate. We booked this hotel the same evening we arrived in Margate and when we got to the hotel the porter had no idea we were coming. The room we had conjoined to the room next door and we could hear everything going on in the conjoining room, down to exactly what was being said between the couple and all manner of bathroom noises which was horrendous! When we were checked in, the bed only had a sheet on it and it was quite a cold night so I asked the porter for a duvet. About 20 minutes later he’d found me one but after about ten minutes our room smelt badly of mold and musk which was clearly the duvet so I had to leave the duvet on the landing outside of our room due to the smell. We made do with the sheet but we were both really cold all night and didn’t sleep well. We were woken up about 6.30am by the room next door (not their fault, the room is insufficiently soundproofed) and I made a cup of tea. When I opened the door to the cupboard I saw a duvet which smelt lovely. What a shame the porter didn’t know it was there and failed to tell us, perhaps we’d have slept! I did mention the problems to the day reception person but I don’t think she knew what to say which is why I am reviewing. Breakfast was delicious but otherwise a very disappointing and expensive stay.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Annalula1

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am so sorry to hear of the problems you encountered, Sometimes it can take a while for Bookings to come through to us, particularly if other Booking Companies have been used. For a brief period while the weather was hot guests commented that they were too hot and the Duvet really wasn't necessary, we therefore left extra clean bedding, Duvet etc in the Cupboard where all Other necesseties are kept, unfortunately our Night Porter was rather new and obviously not aware of this at the time. I shall certainly take your comments on board and look into further sound proofing for Room 10. I sincerely hope you will not let this deter you from visiting us again at the Crescent Victoria, we genuinely take great pride in the Hotel and our Staff will always go the extra mile to ensure our guests are happy. should you decide to book again I would love to offer you a Free Upgrade from a Standard Double Room to one of our Deluxe Seaview Rooms and we hope to welcome you back in the future.