Best Western Plus Hever Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Salomons Estate(Royal Tunbridge Wells)
  • Restaurant
The Spa Hotel(Royal Tunbridge Wells)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewslovely hotelgolf clubstables restaurantgames roombottle of proseccoboard gamesevening mealburgerbuffet breakfasttravelzoo dealmain buildingpool tablecooked foodincluded dinnertennis courtsa lovely night staysecret escapes deal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at the hotel for my boyfriend’s birthday for one night. When we arrived everything was great; we were checked in quickly and the room was lovely. After looking through the guest handbook in the room, we saw that one of the recreational activities offered was table tennis. We decided we would like to play so went to ask reception to which she asked “who told you that we do table tennis? We don’t”, so I think the handbook needs updating! After this we decided to go and have a look around the building, which had been decorated brilliantly and had a great vibe. Before dinner we decided to both take showers, to which we found that our cold tap didn’t work, making the shower unbearable. We went to the lobby and the receptionist kindly let us change rooms. We had made a dinner reservation in the Stables restaurant so sat down and ordered our food. We both ordered the squid to start, however mine came out at least 5 minutes before my boyfriends, which is slightly confusing because surely the squid would have been cooked at the same time? Nevertheless, the squid was lovely so we both enjoyed that. When it came to mains, I had ordered the salmon which said that it came with potatoes. These potatoes were in fact glorified quarter sized chips. I had approximately 5 little cubes of “potato” surrounding my small piece of salmon which was covered in watercress. I am a petite lady without a massive appetite however I finished my main within 5 minutes and could have eaten the entire dish again before feeling full. Although all elements of the dish were nice, there was far far too little of it, it was really like a child’s portion. My boyfriend had the lamb and had two big pieces of meat and lots of dauphinoise potatoes, making it a fair portion. When the waitress came over she asked if everything was alright and I said that although lovely, the salmon dish was really too small. I don’t know if I didn’t make enough of a fuss or my comment wasn’t taken seriously due to my age being similar to that of the waitress, but all I received was a “Oh sorry!”. As I was nowhere near full, we requested the desert menu. When ordering I didn’t want to make the same mistake again so asked the waitress whether the sticky toffee pudding or the eton mess was bigger, to which she replied to say that “they were both quite small”. I went for the sticky toffee pudding and my boyfriend went for the dark chocolate tart. After dinner, we went into the bar to have a few drinks. We walked up to the bar and asked the young barman, who seemed quite flustered by us being there, the price of a single vodka and coke to which he said “£4.00 but we only have diet coke or coke zero”. My boyfriend ordered the drink to find out the price was actually £7.00 because he had only quoted for the vodka, although he had asked for the price for the whole drink. In the morning, the breakfast was lovely although a little lukewarm, but I guess this is just the way it goes with a hot food buffet spread over several hours. Overall, the hotel has the potential to be a great place however staff definitely need some further training and food portions need to be reconsidered.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Lee C, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hever Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your review on trip advisor.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your arrival experience and your bedroom. I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback and although food portions are not usually something that is brought to our attention your feedback will be considered with the importance that it deserves.

Please be assured that we are very focussed on the training of our team and we are very excited to have some of our newest team members on board with us as they embody our service culture in the hotel. I do hope that you can revisit us in the future and see how we have developed our team.

I do hope that I can look forward to welcoming you back to the Hever Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This was an amazing place to stay. it is beautiful. the staff were all lovely and really helpful, very welcoming. the room it's self was lovely and clean and had all essentials.
the restaurant was good and the food was lovely and good portions. I would definitely be going back.
we booked this via Groupon and this was a wonderful find.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I must say, this hotel looks fantastic aesthetically. My girlfriend and I were thrilled when we arrived; the location was charming, quaint and the vibes we got from the outside were fantastic. The rooms were small but practical for our visit; the only issue with the room itself was that one of the shower holders was broken but it didn't stop us from enjoying our stay.

There was some issues that really let this hotel down. The first of which being an appalling dinner service. In fact, I'll go as far to say it was the worst dinner service I've ever experienced. The hotel's restaurant, Stables Restaurant, was busy, so it was advised we book a reservation; the only one left available being at 8:45pm. From our hotel room, we phoned reception and made the booking, it was later than usual so at 8:45pm my girlfriend and I were pretty much starving. We went down and queued up until a waitress came over, however instead of seating us she asked us to wait 15 minutes as no tables were ready (despite the fact we could see empty tables!). Fair enough. So we popped along to the bar and had a drink. 15 minutes later I came back; I was left standing there like a melon for what felt like an age and one thing that stood out, while I was not being seen, the waitress was standing right by me accepting money from paying customers leaving even though they had jumped up after us. When she eventually turned to me, I was told the table still wasn't ready. I said, "I'll go back to the bar but can you get me when the table is ready, save my constant having to run back and forth." The waitress said that wasn't a problem. So my girlfriend and I waited, and we waited, and we waited....nothing. So I went back up to see what was going on and this time, my girlfriend came with me. We sat down on the red chair by the desk and the waitress eventually came up to us, she asked us if we were ready now. If WE were ready? I couldn't believe it. We were waiting for them! So we were finally seated 45 minutes after our reservation and we we STARVING. Though we were seated at a wonky table that had to have a napkin put under it to stop it moving every two minutes. The service was pretty quick, however I was then charged £3 for what was advertised as a 25ml whisky. It certainly was not 25ml. The glass had been filled with a dribble and I had to order another drink before dinner was served as my whisky, which usually lasts a good long while, was gone just like that.

So at this point, it had gotten late. My girlfriend and I weren't seated until gone 9:30pm as opposed to the booked 8:45 despite our reservation, so by the time our starters and meals were done; we were pretty much the only people left in the restaurant. So we wait to be asked if we want to see the dessert menu. And again, we wait, we wait, we wait. Now, I'm an understanding person, if the staff were busy; fair enough. However they were both standing in plain sight just having a casual conversation. By the time service was turned around and my girlfriend and I were the last to leave the restaurant, we were furious. We both agreed when we eat again, we would go somewhere else.

So we slept pretty well that night, except until the morning when we were woken up by noisy screaming children slamming doors. And this screaming went on constantly...For a good half-an-hour. I know the hotel itself can't stop a rouge family but still, it was awful considering we'd paid good money to stay at the hotel. My girlfriend and I woke up feeling more exhausted than we did the night before!

Overall, this hotel was a real, real shame. Everything about it screamed lovely and the rooms themselves, no complaints here (except for the broken shower holder!) But the restaurant service and the noise of other guests really let the place down; especially for the price.

Room Tip: Make sure there are no kids nearby!
1  Thank Sam B
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed overnight during Easter weekend to visit Hever Castle. Check-in was easy and the room was really nice, comfortable and clean. The Bar was small but not too busy so it wasn't a problem. Bar service was good when the barman was around. There was a 20min period where the bar was unattended whilst he was walking around busy with something else.

The overwhelming negative aspect of our stay was the restaurant. The food rated from average to just bad. There was a cold soup, an overdone steak and a burger which was just terribly thought-out containing overly sweet caramelised onions paired with brie on top. With nothing to balance the sweetness, it tasted like it should be on the dessert menu. It was the first time in my memory that I have failed to finish a burger.

The food was only the tip of the iceberg in the restaurant however as the service was just so so poor. To be fair, I can't say any of the staff's attitudes were a problem. They were all lovely to deal with and had a fine manner. The problem was they seemed like they'd never worked in food service before that day.

We were seated, given menus and two different people attended to us before I had to ask that the bits of food on the table from the previous patrons be removed and the table wiped clean. I don't understand how someone would set a table with cutlery, napkins, glasses and NOT wipe it clean first. I asked for a large glass of pinot noir, to which my waiter's response was: "Ok, what size would you like?". He brought my wine and we had to tell him to take away the empty glasses on the table which we clearly weren't using. My partner had steak, and after getting the food, had to request a steak knife.

There was no consistency with the service either, we were waited on by 4 different people throughout the meal. One person would come to us with a question the previous person had already asked us. Between the mains being cleared and being asked if we'd like dessert took about 30mins. Between asking for the bill and actually being able to pay was another 30mins

If I was to go back to the area, I would consider staying there again if the price was good at the time but I'd eat somewhere else

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

What can I say, a very relaxing two night stay in this lovely hotel, stunning location and close to some beautiful attractions, Hever, Chartwell and Penshurst.
Our room an executive was large, light and airy. The restaurant was really nice, both the breakfast and evening meal, were really lovely, good quality, and reasonably priced , the staff were very attentive too.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple