All reviews balcony room lady hamilton wellington room shepherd neame lord nelson sea view large balcony lovely hotel roll top bath sound of the waves car park three rooms third floor first morning family room sea front seaside hotel
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

After a long drive through cold rain, walking into the Royal Hotel felt like walking into the history of the English Island - a land of sailors. A cozy room with a fire place, thick wooden planks on the floor and full of charm. The place was so well kept that instead of feeling that I was walking into an old place with hundreds of years of history, I felt that I was walking into a new place hundreds of years ago.
The stairs creaked as I walked up past sailing mementos. The family room we got was very cozy, accommodating, and, as the British would say, very “lovely.” Aside from the king bed, it had two small twin beds which overjoyed our daughter. She had her own space to spread all her stuff.
I liked the bar and terrace so much that I ask if we could have breakfast down there. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast, which was included, was plentiful. I would have wished for a bit more variety (healthier, vegetarian, and vegan, etc.), but by then I began to realize that the standard vegetarian English breakfast is eggs, tomatoes, mushroom, and beans (no greens or other vegetables).
If one is visiting Dover, I recommend the drive to Deal and a stay at the Royal Hotel to make it a truly memorable experience.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary and had The Hamilton Room. Beautifully decorated room with a balcony view of the sea. The bathroom was clean modern and fresh.
Good choice of breakfast options on the menu, I had the Eggs Benedict, which was very tasty.
The staff were warm and welcoming, made our stay special. Would stay here again

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2018

I expected the food to be good and it was. However the service was truly outstanding from all staff and reminded me of how really excellent British efficiency, kindness and understanding can really be.

Room Tip: Go for the veranda rooms but book early as they are very popular
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thecritique2018
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Our third Shepherd and Neame pub / hotel with rooms and by far the best. We were upgraded to a room on the third floor, with sea views to the side, a massive bedroom with a sitting area to the side plus a well appointed bathroom. Great breakfast menu, lunch menu too on the day we arrived and dinner was a bit limited on choice, a bit pub like in its options, but overall we absolutely loved it here. Deal a lovely place to wander around, too.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2018

Stayed here for 1 night in a lovely sea view room. Full of character. Great breakfast too. Staff very helpful, sorted out my Wi-fi issues quickly and efficiently. What a lovely relaxing stay. Bed so comfortable!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends