Lowest prices for your stay
US$186
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.comUS$186
Orbitz.comUS$186
FindHotelUS$186
All reviews denison university walking distance to downtown historic charm modern amenities two double beds next morning coffee maker haunted warner meowing sink furniture
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 September 2020

Granville is one of my favorite small cities, so on the way to visit friends we stopped for the night, and chose the Buxton Inn. We were so disappointed! We paid for a room that included breakfast for two at the restaurant, but due to COVID they were no longer offering breakfast, just dinner. Instead they gave us K-cups and mini Kellogg breakfast bars. We asked if the cookies and water were for the guests, and they said not without paying for them. If you have cancelled the breakfast, but are charging the same, at least give us free bottles of water! Later, we went to the bar for the advertised Happy Hour from 4-6. We arrived at 4:40pm, and there was nobody there. When we finally found an employee she was so rude, and told us that the bartender was setting up and would be with us when he could. We were perplexed that he was setting up 40 minutes after the Happy Hour began, but she basically told us to be quiet, sit down, and he would be in shortly. Needless to say, we walked downtown instead, and had a wonderful evening of food, drinks! Unfortunately, the next time we are in town, we will stay at the Granville Inn.

Date of stay: September 2020
Reviewed 9 March 2020

We have spent 5 nights at the Buxton Inn during the 2019 Denison football season (grandson was senior starter). The staff was always super nice. The restaurant has a wide range of very good dishes, with fast and attentive service. Our room was huge with a very modern bathroom. Highly recommend. A little pricey during Denison University football season, but worth every penny.

Date of stay: October 2019
1  Thank MadlyTravelingCouple
Jennifer Valenzuela, Owner at Historic Buxton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2020

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We enjoyed having you stay with us and very pleased to hear you enjoyed the accommodations and hospitality we provided. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 4 March 2020

So about the stool -- My husband and I had a good laugh when we first entered our room. There were two double beds as we expected -- but one was at least a good foot higher than the other (antique furniture, you know). We amused ourselves for a few minutes trying to climb up onto it. What a sight we must have been! -- Obviously, though there were two beds -- only one was an option for us. Other furniture notes -- two lamps in the room -- only one worked. Only one chair (a straight desk chair) to sit on. But -- seeing Lincoln's desk in the lobby -- now that was cool. Other thoughts -- the bathroom could have been cleaner. My husband cleaned the sink the first of our two nights. The continental breakfast was lacking to be sure; but the most disappointing issue is unbeknownst to us -- the Tavern/Restaurant is closed Sunday -- Wednesday! One of the reasons I chose the Buxton was the opportunity to come back after daily activities at the end of the day and be able to look forward to dinner on the premises in the historic restaurant. CLOSED! How sad. And, we were told, we'd have to use the outside stairs in the evening because there would be no one on duty in the lobby. Just didn't seem like a well-run establishment in many ways. (Though I did very much appreciate the tour of the various historic areas) For over $200 per night I surely expected more. So sorry.

Date of stay: March 2020

Eileen, I want to thank you for your feedback. While I wish, you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. I hope that I can convince you to change your mind about another visit to our property. Please reach out to me directly at jennifer@buxtoninn.com, if you would be willing to give us a chance to turn your experience around.

Reviewed 19 February 2020

Small room in one of the little annexes; comfort sacrificed for spartan “antique” furniture like one wooden Windsor chair for seating and a fold-down desk with a broken hinge you couldn’t use as a flat surface; dresser had a broken knob and one of its doors always hung open; walls were paper thin and I heard much more than I wanted of my neighbors’ amorous activities; police raid at 1:00 am due to a domestic situation had cops clomping up and down stairwell outside my room and crossing the creaking wooden floor above me shouting (not the hotel’s fault but no follow up or concern or apology by management).

Free breakfast is a cold Danish and yogurt. If they bring you a breakfast basket they pound in your door til you answer it. Didn’t come to clean my room until about 2 or 3 pm every day, when I had returned from my morning activities and wanted to relax or nap.

Room was clean, bathroom was ok, and bed was ok. Hotel is very convenient to the university and restaurants. Definitely overpriced.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
Jennifer Valenzuela, Owner at Historic Buxton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2020

I want to thank you for your feedback. While I wish, you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience. We appreciate you informing us of the furniture in your room. Rest assured we have addressed the room improvements. We do our best to accommodate our guests schedule with servicing the room and delivering a continental breakfast. I am sorry for the door disruption, we have certain days were a basket is delivered to the guest room and the remaining days' guests can find and enjoy a continental breakfast in the dining room. At the time, you were staying with us, there was a guest disruption and the police came to the hotel to assist with handling the disruptive guests. For the inconvenience, it caused, I am sorry. Please reach out to me directly at jennifer@buxtoninn.com if you would be willing to give us a chance to turn your experience around. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 13 February 2020

I have stayed at the Buxton many times over the years but usually during the summer months. This stay was for one Saturday night in February. When our business was done for the day, we went to the very rustic downstairs Tavern for dinner and drinks. The bartender was excellent. She was very busy but seemed to keep everyone happy. What a busy night. I always recommend the Buxton Inn in Granville, Ohio. Stay in a different room each stay. And ask about the very friendly haunted room!

Date of stay: February 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are so happy to hear that you continue to come to the Buxton Inn and have enjoyed your stay and visits to the Tavern. We look forward to seeing you in the future.