“Not what you're looking for...”
Review of Globe & Rainbow - CLOSED

Globe & Rainbow
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2016

We stopped in at the Globe and Rainbow for a spontanious Sunday lunch out. I was welcomed by the friendly bartender, but when I asked to see a menu, the visit started going downhill. "have you booked?" asked the nervous manager. When I said we hadn't there was a lot of hemming and hawing about if they could fit us in or not, and he finally decided we could eat if we "hurried up and ordered because they were expecting more people" (it was after 1:00 and there were maybe two tables occupied inside and a few outside). The manager hovered around me while I waited to order my drinks at the bar like he was trying to hustle me to our table to order. After looking over the menu (set, £23 for two courses) we decided we didn't want to be rushed if we were going to spend that much on lunch and there was no children's menu for our son either. We tried to order just a bowl of chips to tide us over with our drinks, but we were told by the indifferent waitress that there were only enough for people ordering from the menu. We finished our drinks quickly and left. If you are looking for a really special meal, go to The Curlew. If you want a friendly gastropub, try the Milk House or The Bell. For a nice family pub, the Castle Inn in Bodiam is the best. If you don't want customers showing up unannounced at your pub, don't put a sign on the A21!

2  Thank AggieWilliams25

Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

My partner had noticed the board at the A21 junction to & from work. We decided to go there for lunch. The welcome was very good and all seemed well. Beer and wine were very good and service excellent. We both decided on the monkfish scampi which arrived reasonably promptly......not surprising really, as the amount presented must have taken a similarly miniscule amount of time. I won't labour the point - suffice to say that there is a limit to how much one is prepared to pay for so little! I read reports with 4 or 5 blobs which say similar things. If you go out to eat, one assumes you are hungry. If that is so, then it follows that, if you are still hungry after eating......then 4 blobs must be unjustifiable. Seriously though, everything is so right with this place with the major exception of the quantity of food offered.

2  Thank Bob C
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Eaten here twice in July, for lunch and for dinner. Both occasions a real plus on pub food being the best I have experienced in the area recently. Fillet steak at lunch was excellent and lamb at dinner was also tops. Chef is doing a great job. The timed bookings is a little frustrating.
Will definitely be back.

Reviewed 22 July 2016 via mobile

Rural, quiet, really nice. We had the Sussex beef which was perfectly cooked with perfect fries and some broccoly and a hot sauce and dessert. We waited for a while but good freshly prepared Mehls take their time...

Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

Loved it! Busy busy but very friendly helpful staff. Can't wait to return for a full evening meal as menu sounds fabulous. Just had a light lunch and only fault was gazpacho could have been a bit more zingy but presentation of all food was perfect. Setting is glorious and good to find so many locals supporting a local pub. Excited to return.