All reviews national holidays harry's bar hovercraft terminal sea view premier room opposite the bus station isle of wight travelzoo offer third floor enjoyed our stay evening meal hover craft generous portions stayed two nights would stay again kippers public areas
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

Spent 2 nights at this hotel and must say we had an enjoyable 2 night stay on a Travel zoo offer. Well worth it. We were on the top floor overlooking the Solent and the hovercraft. I know some reviewers moaned about this but we didn't find it a problem. In fact we came over on the hovercraft so it was very convenient. Our room was a good size comfy large bed and a good shower. The food was plentiful and very good. Staff couldn't be more attentive in the restaurant. Staying in Ryde was very convenient as near to bus and train stations to get around the island as we left the car at home for a complete break. Would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunlover83Hampshire
Mike S, Owner at Royal Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2018

Thank you for your review and great feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 October 2018

We had a two day stay at this lovely hotel. We were greeted by friendly helpful staff and we had a superb room with all amenities and a view of the Solent. Well stocked bar and super dinner. There were a few niggles which all hotels seem to have but they would not stop me staying here again. (If management want to contact me I would be happy to share them although it might be considered nit picking). Shame the hotel did not have guest parking as I had to leave my car in a public car park. Always a bit worried in this situation.

Room Tip: Room 68 is lovely but in front and on the 3rd floor so might be considered noisy. There is a lift.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review. Sorry if you found a few niggles but overall you enjoyed your stay which is great.

We are a Victorian hotel and unfortunately cars were not allowed for when it was built, but we do have local parking so I hope this was not too inconvenient.

Reviewed 3 October 2018

We expected to have a reasonable hotel, with reasonable food on offer, reasonable cleanliness and service from the staff. All I can say is...… "we should have read the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking!!" To begin, we had a twin room.... or to be blunt we had a single room that contained twin beds! We were constantly in each other's way, unless one of us was actually in bed! The wardrobe was a single wardrobe, with half being hanging space and the other half being shelving. The television had extremely poor reception, so we couldn't even watch TV in the evenings. As regards the décor....a pleasant picture hung above the bedhead. Otherwise décor was extremely shabby. The room, especially the bath/shower room, needed a good steam clean and a coat of paint. The inside of the bathroom door was filthy with dirty finger marks. The ceilings of both rooms were waterstained, where, presumably, the room above us had used the shower and water had leaked through to our ceilings. Quite understandable though because all we had was a short shower curtain, which did not do the job it was supposed to! I had a bath on the first evening, but the bath wasn't cleaned when the staff came to "clean" the following day, so used the shower thereafter. Old-fashioned type of shower whereby the temperature of the water is cold one minute and scalding the next. The horrible brown carpet was stained and ill-fitting.... rucks all around the room which were a trip hazard. Towels weren't changed unless you could catch the member of staff on duty and asked for them to be. Bedlinen wasn't changed at all. Mealtimes were a joke.... I would rather have been a resident of Basil Fawlty's. At least HE was attentive and funny. We had to ask for our food orders to be taken, even though there were young people to-ing and fro-ing all around us. There was no system in place at all. My first meal arrived luke-warm, which was a shame because it COULD have been enjoyable. As it was I felt as though I had to rush it before it became stone cold. No warming of the plates EVER. We had to ASK for jugs of water, which we soon found we then needed to ask for some ICE! We were served the SAME frozen vegetables for every evening meal. Menu stated "a choice of potatoes".....NO choice. You had what you got! Obviously catering packs of roast meats as all roast meat was sliced at exactly the same thickness. Another fiasco when we wanted coffee. We ALWAYS had to attract a waiting person's attention and ASK to be served! If we were lucky, it was still warm!
On the whole, we were extremely disappointed in the standard of the place and the staff. Can't comment on the "entertainment" as we weren't prepared to spend any more time inside the hotel than we had to! I wish the programme "The Hotel Inspector" would visit the place. Management need a rude awakening.

Stayed: September 2018
Mike S, Owner at Royal Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

I was sorry to read that you had some issue with your stay, perhaps the reception management could have changed your room had you mentioned any of this to them at the time.

I agree we had some problems in the mornings but we have recruited a new Food and Beverage Manager who will get to grips with any issue at the service levels.

I am sorry you did not entirely enjoy your stay on this occasion and thanks for letting us know. We will look into the points raised.

Reviewed 1 October 2018

I suspect that this hotel caters more efficiently for set coach tours and less effectively for individuals and couples.

Room was spacious and clean, let down however because overall the service and organisation wasn't of a normal standard.

The evening of our arrival, we asked the evening meal waiter if we could have soup and sides in the outside seating area. No problems he replied. He would come out and take our order, but we waited and waited. In the end we went indoors and ordered cake and a pot of tea from the reception area (excellent value for money but not what we really wanted).

Next morning we were left to our own devices at breakfast for far too long, and in the end we had to call over a waiter to take our order for our cooked breakfasts. Drinks were scarce if you didn't help yourself to fruit juice from the buffet.

After breakfast I asked the receptionist if I could have a couple of teabags to take to our room to make a drink before leaving. Her reply was frankly astonishing: "But you're checking out today!" I explained we'd like a drink before we checked out. Her reply, "Didn't they leave you enough then?". At this point I said, look we'll make do with one teabag to share between us! Two teabags were forthcoming, but it felt like hard work, especially after the inattentive hot drinks service at breakfast.

When we came to check out later, we were being charged an extra £105 for food we had never ordered. I explained we hadn't ordered the food, whereupon the receptionist started to reel off the items to me, "Calamari and steak in mushroom sauce" (or whatever it was). I advised her that as I was vegan I didn't think I would have ordered those items.
The manageress came across and the receptionist had a little rant to her about whoever could have put the food bill in our room service folder. The staff talked amongst themselves about it whilst we were kept waiting at reception. I just wanted to pay up and go home!

Such a real shame, because the seaview rooms are spacious: room prices are great value, and when you do get your breakfast, it has been sent out beautifully cooked and well presented by the kitchen staff. So huge potential to make this hotel a (more consistent) lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yorkshirefarm

Sorry, there was obviously some misunderstanding as we do not normally serve meals out the outside seating area. We have had a few issues in the dining room but our new Food and Beverage Manager is getting to grips with things. We are sorry that an error was made with your room charge as the room numbers were wrong. We did find this after a search and our apologies you had to wait while this was investigated but I hope otherwise you enjoyed your room.

Reviewed 1 October 2018

Just returned from 4 night stay First three nights kept awake by noise from room next door. Due to a plumbing problem sorted on day four so had one nights good sleep.
Dining room hit and miss with the service last night staff did not know what the menu was waited 20 minutes for them to find out. Menu was hand written when finally arrived.
Our room carpet was in need of replacing or cleaning. Did receive a rate reduction due to the problems with the plumbing.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alanweston1

Sorry to read that we had some noisy plumbing which disturbed you which I know we recompensed you for. This isn't normal and was hopefully fixed for the next customer.

Our new Food and Beverage Manager is finding his feet and I am sure this is only a hiccup as generally we get good comments and feedback on the dining room and brasserie service.