“Good venue”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in High Wych
London, United Kingdom
“Good venue”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Lads weekend away for golf.
Hotel very good, room very comfortable, food excellent and golf course challenging. Only problem was that the bar is part of reception which doesn't make for a great atmosphere to relax in.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Chris W
GeneralManagerMOG, General Manager at Manor Of Groves Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Thank you for your review Chris. Glad you enjoyed the course and the food.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Dean Thompson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Korean first
UK
Reviewed 2 March 2012

GOOD
Great staff, very helpful from reception to servers (excludes golf club cafe where the male server appeared to relish telling us that we could not have the teacakes as he had put the butter away!)
Good food, good wines reasonably priced
Terrific spa
Value for money packages
BAD
Tired furniture (had to request a stained chair seat be exchanged- which was done promptly)
Shower not working (no hot water)- moved room (which was also arranged promptly)(may have been unlucky as all the showers in the rooms we saw looked new)
Usual paper thin walls
Wooden windows falling apart
UGLY
Communal areas are geared to events- so the original manor house rooms (the most interesting) are either for meetings or weddings leaving the reception area in the 'atrium' to share as a bar/lounge with no easy chairs.This a cold area with tiled floors and without any atmosphere at all- had drink next to customer signing in!

All in all this is a well run venue but with a bit of investment in the hotel bit with new furnishings and better communal areas it would be a well run and very good hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review Patrick, Im glad there were lots of positives. I'm sorry that you had no hot water. My view is to move people quickly then fix the problem. Not fix the problem and make you wait to get a shower! So I am glad this worked for you.

We do have a bar in Reception which some people love. And some people don't. Personal choice. We do have the Golf Clubhouse that all residents can use as an alternative where the Sports are shown in a more traditional environment.

Thank you for your comments.

Herts
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We came last Monday (February) for a round of golf and a meal as a prize won at your Ladies Open, and we would like you to know that we had a very lovely day.

The course is in great condition for the time of year – well done the green keepers. The meal was excellent and the girls who served us really pleasant and welcoming.

Manor Groves gave us a first class expierence and we'll most certainly be back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Im so pleased you had a 'first-class experience'. It is what we hope all our guests have.

The course is so very well looked after by Damien and his team all year round. They do a fabulous job and I think we are the envy of many courses in our local area.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Dean Thomspon
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Excellent weekend away with my wife. Good value, high quality restaurant. Very quiet & well renowned for golfers, although I'm not one.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review Damian, Im glad you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Flyingchunk
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I'm writing this from the side of the pool.

Myself and my wife are here as part of a murder mystery weekend, which was a surprise birthday gift for my wife.

Although we come from Sussex where there were plenty if nearer venues to choose from, I chose the MOG as the reviews were really good. I fact MUCH better than any if our local venues. Plus it had a spa attached as well which was an added plus.

Firstly.... The murder mystery was great. I'd reccomend it to anyone who hasn't done it. My wife loved it, and the venue, was perfect.

The MOG is set back from the road in beautiful grounds in and a golf course. Apparently the golf course is excellent for anyone who likes it.

The hotel is art deco era I think, however modern bits have been added, like the reception and spa which compliment it's looks. As you drive up you you look at it and think "this looks nice", which I think is all important, especially of its a suprise gift.

Inside the hotel has a warm feel. As its an older building the corridors are a bit narrow, there are some stairs to other landings, and they do creek a bit. I think it's great character, and exactly the type of thing you'd find at The Grand in Brighton or converted coach houses etc. The decor is good and it very clean too.

Reception were lovely and welcoming, and all staff said hello when we crossed their paths.

We were given room 18 which was nice. Again not modern, but cozy and welcoming and everything we wanted. Bathroom was really nice a roomy, and the bed was really comfy. Free tea and coffee, flat screen tv, trouser press and iron and board. No mini bar, but that's no big deal. Great view out onto the grounds too.

We had a drink in the bar which was nice, and then sat down to dinner. The food was great and every course really was top grade food.

Breakfast was good and the food just kept coming. You can have pretty much most things you'd usually get at a buffet.

We also used the spa facilities, which look newly built and are very clean. It's more of a health club/spa, but still really good quality. The pool it 20m long and pretty wide, bigger than most at a hotel health club. Large jacuzzi and the gum has everything you'd need. There is sauna and steam, and also treatments can be purchased for an extra cost. A a hotel guest you have full use of the facilities from 2pm (check in), an after check out (11am). There also is an outside relaxing area which would be lovely in summer months.

Lastly... The staff.

Myself and my wife travel extensively, and I've recently stayed at a 5 star hotel in India which was simply amazing and luxurious.

The MOG is not this, and doesn't try to be. What does make it great is the staff. In India I had hundreds of hotel staff falling over me to help do everything from carry my bag to wipe down my running machine the moment I stepped off.

At the MOG the staff have personality, and a sense of humour. They made us feel welcome, we're helpful, and made me feel like they wanted to ensure you had a good time and had the best stay possible. Everything came with a smile.

We needed a replacement hair dryer and it arrived literally in 2 minutes as my wife's hair was wet and she wanted to get ready. Nothing seemed too much trouble. The staff at dinner were polite and helpful. The events manager made conversation with me and joked with me later in the evening informally, which in a busy service environment is great to experience.

The ladies on reception and the bar in the evening were equally charming and helpful, with a bit of informal humour thrown in too, which I think is a breath of fresh air. Again....human beings....brilliant!

This for me made the MOG bit only a great hotel, but more importantly.... a great experience.

Too often you get staff in hotels "going through the motions". This is not the case at the MOG.

In particular Beth who worked on reception and also in the restaurant for breakfast was fantastic. Friendly, great smile, great informal humour, and helpful. The MOG should do all they can to keep her!

All this for £210 for two of us, including the murder mystery, dinner, breakfast, and the spa.

If you like golf as well.... It's a must!

Book the MOG now. You'll regret it if you don't

• Stayed February 2012
GeneralManagerMOG, Manager at Manor Of Groves Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
What a wonderful review. Thank you so much. Much of my time is spent training and developing staff. The retention we have is so very low for this industry. My team just love working here (I think!) and this comes across in their service delivery. Everyone is an individual and has their own service personality and sense of humour and this is something I encourage not just in the hotel, but in the Health Club and the Golf Club.

Its so good to know it is appricaited by our guests.

Thank you.
3.6 km away
Green Man Hotel
Green Man Hotel
#4 of 8 in Harlow

Been to Manor Of Groves Hotel? Share your experiences!