See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 February 2015

Stay at this hotel often due to work (not by choice) and everytime I stay here it gets worse.

Today, my room has... Broken tv remote, ironing board with no iron, air con that's not working (and would be useful as room is freezing) and I to make the bed as the art of tucking in a sheet hasn't been learnt. The food is passable, but tonight I did have to ask for cutlery to actually eat my meal with.

If I had a choice I wouldn't stay here and whole heartedly recommend staying somewhere else whilst in Hatfield

• Stayed: February 2015
4  Thank Walkinmoo
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I've stayed over a dozen times at this hotel in the last few months. It is a quirky place. Built in an old aircraft hanger, it has at least history behind it. But this isn't really a hotel. It is a David Lloyd gym and the rooms are very much an afterthought.

The receptionists are always very polite, though the bar staff usually less so. Each room (and I stayed in most!) has its own little problems. Some will have showers that will fly around when you turn them on, shower partitions that open at will, curtains that don't close, etc. etc. The reception do response to feedback and do fix things where possible, so credit where credit is due, but it became a running joke to discuss what was wrong with the rooms with colleagues over dinner.

The room temperatures are freezing in winter and boiling in summer and the air conditioning unit takes an age to heat/cool the room to a level that is comfortable.

Dinner and breakfast are had in the gym's restaurant/bar area which is often noisy and filled with kids and people walking through to the gym. The food is noteworthy in that it was almost always gorgeous.

All in all I wouldn't choose to stay here. The hotel is an afterthought and you definitely feel that when you are there.

Room Tip: Rooms one and two are smaller than the others but due to the lay out are better temperature controlled and thus a better nights sleep is possible!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank coleben
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I have really mixed feelings about this property:
Pro:
* right across the street from my customer
* excellent leisure center
* good food & drink
* pleasant staff
* free parking in a large lot
* the historical ambiance (the building and the pictures in the corridor)
Con:
* lighting in the room was inadequate
* the somewhat creepy feeling of walking down a dark hallway to the room and the motion sensors detect your presence & turn on the lights...sort of slowly
* relative to the public areas, the rooms felt a bit sterile (but clean)
So I would stay again mainly for the convenience but the rooms are nothing exciting

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank 6_Million_Mile_Flier
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel in Easter, the gym was Excellent I must say the bar staff also very helpful and the food was excellent, However when I stayed there I stayed in a room called the penthouse about 2 o'clock in the morning I felt a pain in my back it felt like a woman was scratching my back, I complained to the reception and asked them if they had ever had this complaint before they said no and I was truly shocked and horrified by this experience, Beware do not stay at the penthouse at your own risk.

• Stayed: March 2012
6  Thank JoeStevenson
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My poor rating is based mainly on the actual standard of the bedroom that I stayed in.

There are good points about the Hangar -

The staff - I found to be really welcoming and professional, especially Georgia in the bar / restaurant, and the receptionist who checked me in on arrival (Admittedly, they were the only 2 people that I had contact with, but they gave a great impression)

Lots of stuff in the room - great air conditioning, a hairdryer, an iron and board, trouser press, tea and coffe etc,

The gym is also very good.

The not so great -

The decor, furniture and cleanliness of the room that I stayed in (4, I think) left a very great deal to be desired, and I felt that it was below par on a number of levels. The furniture was very tatty dated and battered, the carpet was stained and dirty, the bathroom wouldn't have been out of place in a prison.

Also, although I am not disabled, this was supposed to be a disabled room. If I was in a wheelchair, I would not have been able to open or close my curtains as the cord that is supposed to let you do this is broken, and the curtains would have been out of reach as the window is high up - nor would I have been able to turn on the lamp in the corner of the room, as it was unplugged, with the plug again, out of reach in the corner. As it was, I didn't want to plug it in, because the socket under the desk that was the only one it would reach to was hanging off the wall. And re. the bathroom comment above - yes it needs to be adapted because it's a disabled room, but that doesn't mean it should be nasty!

The food was a fairly neutral point - pretty edible, but the curry that I ordered was obviously a microwave meal. Not especially expensive, but just boring and uninspiring microwave and deep fat fryer fare. (And mostly pretty unhealthy, given that this is a restaurant in a Gym, although there were options for omelette and salad)

There is no room service.

A shame, because it could be nice here, if someone spent some money on it, but there are nicer places to stay very nearby, at a comparable cost.

Room Tip: Not the disabled room (4 I think) Can't say about any of the others - they may be much better.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business