All reviewsoutsidein restaurantcontemporary hotelacross the roadbiscuitsnight's sleepbooked this hotelsaturday nightironing boardcourse mealone night stayplenty of parkingcar parkthe ground floormember of stafftea and coffeebecclesartwork
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

This was myself n my partners 3rd time of staying at the hotel, the previous occasions a few years there were enjoyable with no issues. Oh , how times have changed! We stayed on the winter break deal which included a 3 course set meal n overnight accommodation. The menu had hardly any meat courses and had very limited food choices. we were told they couldn’t accommodate any changes and if we wanted anything else to order from a separate , more expensive, menu. It was our anniversary break away so we let that go as we didn’t want our time at the hotel ruined. The room we recieved was right by a door, (which I had asked not to be located there) it was dirty with massive cobwebs over a foot long from the curtain to the wall, the general manager witnessed the cobwebs n apologised and moved us to the room next door. Unfortunately, this room wasn’t much better-it had a dirty shower,and the stool in the room was covered in a white substance Of what, dread to think ! Upon my return home emailed the managing director about my concerns, he ignored my complaint. My partner then emailed too and was ignored. Eventually ,weeks later , my partner recieved an email then a phone call from yet another “assistant manager” saying there was no problems, we had been moved rooms and that was the end of the matter!!!!!. No apology, no refund, nothing. The way we have been treated is appalling, the standards have well and truly gone downhill here and I would not recommend any one to stay at Beales. .Unclean rooms and VERY BAD customer service!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nicola p
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

This is an over the top complaint which we tried to deal with appropriately.

Our senior staff in the hotels deal with the rare complaints that we receive, entirely normal practice in hotels as they are best placed to deal with any comments.

Our guest services manager Linda Purton (not "yet another assistant manager" but the longest serving and the most senior member of staff in the hotel as the GM was on holiday) asked your partner for his phone number so that this issue could be courteously dealt with over the phone.

Some two weeks later, he offered up his phone number, and then Linda phoned but he has no voicemail. More time elapsed, and then he finally rang back and he and Linda were able to have a conversation.

She tells me that he was charming on the phone, so where this diatribe has come from she does not know.

We accept completely that the cobwebs were in the room, so we moved you immediately.

Our table d'hote menu included in the winter break has a selection of different dishes, but you wanted steak, for which there is an a la carte supplement. To be completely clear to our Tripadvisor readers, you did not want to pay the supplement for the steak. This is completely standard in hotels, so we don't know where the problem with this is. And all our menus are online so that we have complete transparency over this standard practice.

We are flabbergasted by this review which does not reflect the reality of the situation nor the fact that we are the number one hotel in Hatfield and surrounding areas, with a very high level of customer satisfaction.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Everything a hotel should be.
The room was spotless and smelt so fresh on arrival.
Staff throughout were more than helpful and the breakfast was nore than satisfactory.
the hotels collaboration with the local fine art college means this place has very contemporary, yet individual feel.
would happily stay again

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Excellent review thank you so much,

I am so glad you enjoyed your time at Beales Hotel.

Yes indeed, all the art comes from the students and staff at the University of Hertfordshire department of Fine Art, and is of a very high quality.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Beales Hotel in the future.

Kind regards,

Beales Hotel

Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

Stayed here on business last month. The experience in the hotel was good.

Checkin was fast, it’s a clean nice hotel and the room was very nice.

Overall the staff were also good during the stay. I have reviewed this stay previously and given it a four star review, then I checked out.

I checked my credit card statement and found out that even through my room was booked via work on a well known corporate travel site, they charged me the full room rate. Nothing was bought, never used the bar or restaurant yet with no receipt, authorisation or explanation.

So be careful staying here. Check your statements. I am currently awaiting a refund. Only the prompt agreement to do this bumped my score from a two to three star review as understand mistakes can happen.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2018

Thank you for your review of Beales Hotel,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, the room, the cleanliness, and the staff.

There was one misunderstanding on checkout, but this has all been dealt with now.

Regards,

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

First time I’ve stayed there and it was great, modern decor, the bed and pillows were the best I’ve ever experienced! Felt like I was Goldilocks in mammy bears bed! I hadn’t broke in and didn’t steal any porridge!! Breakfast was good, nice touches in restaurant with contemporary cutlery and furnishings, very happy with the stay and hope to return soon.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel in Hatfield,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay !

The bed is a pocket sprung Hypnos bed complete with feather and down duvet and pillows and Egyptian cotton bedding.

And the award winning food in Outsidein Restaurant is created by Head Chef Phil Macrides and his team.

Do come again next time you are down from Newcastle !

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 4 February 2018

Popped in here to meet a friend and orderd a snack. Chose the Ploughans and my friend had a ham sandwich from the sandwich menu. Disappointed that the bread was stale . I think it was yesterdays bread which had been popped in the microwave to bring it back to life but since we were talking and eating by the time we ate the second part of the sandwich it had curled up in less than 15 mins !! We sent the stale bread back and that was that- No one came back to us and the bar restaurant was only half full. No apology or refreshed sandwich -- nothing. Where is your customer service?

Room Tip: I can only say the parking was good !!
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank mkljrc
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to Beales Hotel.

Our excellent chef Suzie prepared your dishes for you under the supervision of sous chef Jamie, and they categorically deny microwaving bread - something we would never do.

However if our waiter Bence misunderstood that you wanted a replacement then I apologise,

Please email me the time and date of your visit, and I will put you in touch with our General Manager Mark Schipper who will make suitable amends for you.