“Sunday Roast = Sunday Best”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 89 Restaurants in Hatfield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Finally had a Sunday off with the wife and decided to go out for a Sunday lunch. I gave the Mrs the choice and she chose the Red Lion, thank god she did it was amazing.

We both went for the 3 meat roast which included chicken, beef and gammon, 2 Yorkshire puddings, and veg, the gravy was also really tasty. If they could bring a gravy boat out with extra I would've scored a 6 out of 5 :0) The meat was cooked really well and hit the spot. I ordered a portion of pork crackling, which was very tasty but really not needed due to the size of the meal.

We both managed a dessert, I went back to my childhood and had jelly and ice cream and the wife went for the cookie dough sundae which had a mountain of whipped cream on the top. The food was great as always, and the staff were friendly and helpful.

We had 3 soft drinks (last of the big spenders), and with the tip was just over £50, really good value for money, I was so full I just about made it to the car!

Date of visit: October 2017
RedLion H, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Dear HatfieldBandit08,

Another lovely review...thank you for spending the time again to review our Sunday roasts. They are ever growing in popularity with a full house each week!

I'm glad your wife made the right decision to come to us too, and am very pleased to see we hit the spot for both of you. The nostalgic jelly and ice cream proves to be a hit for a lot of our guests.

Next time your in just ask for extra gravy and our team will be more than happy to get it for you (on us)...I think you can never have too much gravy on a roast!

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

Went for an impromptu lunch with friends I ordered meat roast it was the best Sunday roast I have had in a long while delicious and I rebooked

Date of visit: October 2017
RedLion H, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear Suec44,

Thank you for the lovely review! We also think our roast dinners are pretty amazing. Glad to hear you have rebooked as Sundays can get really busy and I would hate for you to miss out.

See you soon,

Jamie

Reviewed 30 September 2017

Many years ago this was one of the best pubs to eat in the whole area. Despite overhauls new management on more than one occasion the last four visits have had the consistency of poor steak purchasing as on each occasion full of gristle or tough as old boots. Sadly will certainly not try again.

Date of visit: September 2017
RedLion H, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear John H,

I am very sorry you feel this way about the steak quality we have delivered you on these occasions. We do endeavour to keep the highest of quality for our guests and if we are not happy with them on arrival we will return to our suppliers if we need to.

I would very much appreciate it if you could call us on 01707 262868 in your convenience on to discuss this matter further. If it is a specific cut that you have then we can review and monitor moving forward.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

The day after we got home from holiday, had nothing in the house so popped out for a late lunch. Our friend was going made about the curry they make from the rotisserie chicken they cook. Both the wife and I went for the curry, it was spot on, really tasty with loads of flavour, served with rice, a poppadum and a small pot of mango chutney.

For dessert I went for the Chocolate Brownie, the wife went for the Cookie Dough, both were great, my ice cream may have been added a touch too early as over half had melted by the time it reached the table, however a minor gripe. Both had a large Pepsi to drink and it came to just over £30, really good value and another successful visit.

Date of visit: September 2017
RedLion H, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Dear HatfieldBandit08,

Great to hear from you again! I'm glad all our team and meals are still hitting the spot for you and your wife. Our curry nights are really taking off now and prove to be a hit.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

This is a lovely pub however the food took forever to arrive. 2 adults and 1 child for an evening tea and it took 1 & half hours to serve us a starter and main course. The pub was not busy when we placed our order but still took far too long to serve. The manager didn't seem overly bothered about my complaint.

Date of visit: August 2017
2  Thank Derek W

Dear Derek W,

Thank you for your feedback. Apologies for the delays in service that you occurred, it is not excusable.

If you could contact us on redlion.hatfield@mcmullens.co.uk we'd love the chance to rectify and talk through any specific issues you occurred.

We do hope to welcome you back in the future so you can see this is not the normal service we operate with.