All reviews all inclusive deal inclusive break great weekend executive room house wine sandwiches st albans weekend break crisps both nights couldn't do enough bar menu soup coffee machine fantastic value bar area wedding reception
Reviewed 29 December 2017

The executive rooms in this hotel are of a generous size and quite smart, but it is all downhill from there.When I booked I asked whether the restaurant would be open on Boxing day I was told that the bar menu would be available and to check nearer the time about the main menu.I rang back about 10 days before our stay to do so.I was told that the restaurant would be open.I also asked for a ground floor room as we were going to have our grandchildren with us and as this hotel has no lift and more than one lot of stairs plus lengthy corridors to some rooms getting a toddler up there when we have health issues could be difficult.I was told that we would be allocated a ground floor room.On arrival the receptionist said that our room was on the second floor and that she could only offer us a less satisfactory room on the ground floor.We took the better room as we needed the space.We were told that the restaurant would be open until 9pm. When I took the children out sometime later she said "Did I call you" ? It transpired that she had intended to let us know that in fact they would only be serving sandwiches! Later on the manager did offer to get us a takeaway or to organise a taxi to take us to Wetherspoons.We had bee looking forward to a relaxing meal in the hotel and as my husband was not feeling well we did not want to go out. With all of the stress I mislaid my car keys and the only positive was the member of staff did help me look. There was a large and extremely noisy group on our floor and we had to complain at twenty to one in the morning. I think the reason that we had lost our ground floor room was because other people had asked to be moved before we checked in. The bed was very soft and saggy and aggravated my back.The towels were very small.This hotel could be so pleasant, but yet again we were badly let down.

Room tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank chrissmmp
Katherine W, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered.

Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems you encountered to prevent future guests experiencing the same unfortunate incidents.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, but again are extremely sorry you had to do so.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

We stayed 2 nights, 25 and 26 December. Our room, 212, was well appointed though the bed was fairly hard. No iron/ironing board in the room but these were supplied on request by the hotel. There's no lift (there are only two floors) and a lot of fire doors to go through from reception to the room which was towards the back of the building.

We were visiting family so didn't dine in the evening but had booked for breakfast both days. Breakfast on 26 December was totally chaotic. There was no hot help-yourself food (fruit/cereal/yoghurt/croissants etc were available) and all hot food had to be ordered from the menu. Our order was taken and we waited.....and waited. It appeared from complaints that others had been waiting up to 45 minutes for their hot food orders. When hot food was brought out it was for those who'd arrived more recently (not those who'd been waiting longest) and that food was not as ordered. We gave up after about 15 minutes and one of us had no breakfast whilst the other had fruit/toast.

Our second morning, 27 December, again there was no hot help-yourself food, possibly because the hotel didn't have many guests. One of us chose the kippers from the menu and was told that they weren't available so had to choose something else. Ham was also not available. When toast was brought it was only toasted on one side and waitress who brought it couldn't understand what was wrong! The egg dishes we subsequently ate were fine.

On departure from the hotel we spoke to reception and they gave us a partial refund for the breakfasts we had paid for. If we stay again we'll bring our own breakfast and eat in our room.

As part of the Mercure chain I expected much better from this hotel. Whilst the rooms/reception are largely up to standard, the management of the kitchen leaves an awful lot to be desired.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel over Christmas.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; and we are so sorry that on this occasion we failed to do so, your feedback is so very important to us. Please rest assured that I will be having a meeting with all my senior managers to ensure we are take the appropriate measures to address the problems you raised and prevent future occurrences.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, although we are of course extremely sorry you had to do so.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 20 December 2017

Very impressed attended Christmas party night Friday 15th December 2017
Food good, served nice and hot. Tables decorated and looked lovely, and a great disco.
Overall good fun evening with friends
Well done to the staff.

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback following Christmas Party, we are so pleased you had a enjoyable time.

We do hope we can welcome back again in 2018!

Reviewed 20 December 2017

The hotel is conveniently located right next to the A1 but background noise is minimal. When I stayed this week, the bedroom was a good size and quite comfortable. With dinner and breakfast, the food was quite good and typical for a 3 star hotel.
However, the hotel is seriously let down by a poor level of customer service and disorganisation in the bar and dining room. At dinner, the junior staff clearly had received no training, even in the basics of customer service with multiple mistakes being made. In the morning at breakfast there were more chaotic scenes with poorly trained staff failing in the most simple aspects of the job, for example meeting and greeting and showing people to tables. It is a cliché to talk about Fawlty Towers but there were certainly a lot of comical scenes of incompetence I observed this week. This is clearly a management and staff training issue and the hotel would be wise to address it quickly, as in many ways the hotel is actually quite good.

• Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

We have certainly taken on board your comments in respect to team and the training needed within hotel.

We do hope that we can welcome back soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

My friends,family and I stayed here for the weekend. Our check in went well, our rooms were lovely, the staff were amusing in different ways. There were some issues with the morning buffet and a couple of the waitresses i.e. lack of communication and motivation, but we saw the funny side and when we get together again we will recall our time there with laughter. They were minor issues, ran out of orange juice, got poached eggs instead of boiled, nothing major. The manger Tony put things right, that's all that we could ask for. Have booked up to go again with my partner in January, so that says it all in my opinion.

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, although I am sorry certain aspects of your stay fell short of expectations, but I am so pleased to hear that Tony , Food & Beverage Manager helped rectify the issues.

Thank you for visiting us again.