“A very nice mixed bag”

The Glasshouse @ The Grove
Price range: US$53 - US$79
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Glasshouse restaurant is tucked away inside The Grove at Chandler's Cross - a luxury country house hotel set in 300 acres of woodlands in Hertfordshire. This lively, informal restaurant is nicknamed the 'theatre of cooking' as its chef prepare British, Asian and Mediterranean dishes in spectacular style, then serve them buffet-style for everyone to enjoy. The Glasshouse is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the dining room is decorated with contemporary chandeliers, a backlit bar, floor to ceiling windows with views of the hotel's formal gardens, and designer chairs. Popular with fashionable hotel residents and locals for breakfast meetings, business lunches and relaxed evening meals, The Glasshouse is a fun and stylish dining destination. Please note this restaurant only takes bookings one month in advance.
Reviewed 9 March 2016

We visited The Glasshouse for dinner on a weekday evening. It was my first visit, but my wife had eaten there on many occasions some years back, soon after it had opened for business. I mention that because the first thing she said when we went to the buffet was that the selection was less and the presentation not as good as it was when she used to eat there. But, in no way was it the equivalent of a Toby carvery or Harvester, as has been mentioned in previous reviews.
From the moment we walked in, the welcome, service, attentiveness and assistance we received from the restaurant manager and the two table attendants, Benjamin and Korina, was outstanding. A wonderful example of top level, friendly, smiling service without being too familiar or intrusive.
The quality of the food was excellent and for me, the selection was sufficient, but no more than that. I had expected some rather more adventurous choices.
Whether, or not one would consider the price expensive must depend on the value you place on an absolutely first class environment and the option to stuff yourself with as much as you can eat; an option we noticed that was taken up by many diners. But for sure, the drinks are pricey, to a level I find difficult to justify. We were offered a bottle of still water and I didn't expect to be charged £5.50 for that. We were not offered tap water that we later saw at several tables. The cheapest red wine was around the £30 mark and the Merlot we chose (at £32) was OK but no better that that we have had at around half that price elsewhere.
So, a very nice mixed bag at a lovely location where staff members we had not previously met smiled and said goodnight as we walked out.
I wonder, is it this good on a busy weekend?

Reviewed 5 March 2016

avoid this hotel we had to wait and when we did the steak was so tuff and grease I've had better at burger king. Totally shocking i will never ever go to this hotel again. we complained and the staff was not interested. When we was ready to leave we had to ask four or five times for the bill.Avoid this hotel over rated hotel you would be better off at a cheap b and b

1  Thank grahamhickman41
Reviewed 27 February 2016

nothing stand out but decent selection, large desert options and great if slightly expensive wine list. have been on a few occasions and the most recent was not as good as previous visits

Reviewed 27 February 2016

I visited in February 2016 with my partner and his parents for a joint birthday lunch. We had picked The Glasshouse because we had looked for somewhere to meet up geographically in between our homes so my partner's parents had driven from Norfolk for this and it was booked for a special occasion so we had high class expectations ... and The Glasshouse did not disappoint!

I am surprised to read some of the recent reviews who have had negative experiences as we found it exemplary. The restaurant is in a buffet style and there is ample choice. The restaurant is as elegant and classy in it's decor as it is mouth-watering and beautiful in it's presentation of it's food. There is a carvery where you can have roast with all the trimmings; we had the choice of beef, chicken, pork or lamb, as well as sushi, antipasti, smoked or baked salmon and houmous and dips as just a few examples of the starters. The chef was well informed about the produce and we learned that they even make their own wasabi from scratch. The asian corner consisted of a stir fry section where you picked the contents and the chef would stir fry to order. Desserts ranged from ice cream with M & M's to rice pudding, strawberry cheesecake or blueberry creme brulee. There was so much choice!

When it came to alcohol this was no different. The restaurant manager, whose name we unfortunately did not get, proficiently rattled off 7 or 8 choices of gin and 4 or 5 choices of rum. In fact, they had 2 pages of gin choices on their wine list. The other waitresses were all attentive and courteous.
We did not leave until we absolutely had to when they closed at 3pm! It is a shame that others have had negative experiences but I for one, shall love to revisit!

1  Thank WingKay
Reviewed 26 February 2016 via mobile

The restaurant is lovely and bright, large windows looking onto the great view outside. The service was great, all staff were very attentive! The buffet was lovely, great choice of food and all was delicious. There was a tapas section to start, then fish which included sea food and sushi, then the meat section which had chicken, beef, lamb, cooked fish and cooked veg, salad section, desserts and cheeses. We had the merlot which was very nice. We came for my mums birthday and they brought out a lovely little cup cake with happy birthday written on a piece of chocolate which was a lovely touch. We also came with our 6 month old son who was also well looked after by the staff and no dirty looks when I fed him at the table :) can't wait to go back!