other travellers have booked this property

Review of Spring Cottage

Front of House from the side Lounge
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Spring Cottage - front of house
Front of House from the side
Lounge
Dining Room
Double Bedroom 2
Double Bedroom 1
Double Bedroom 4
Bedroom 5 - Bunk Beds
Double Bedroom 3
Hallway and stairs (before gate was fitted)
Floor Plan
New Forest Ponies
Spacious Lounge
Local Playground
Paulton's Park Theme Park - home to Peppa Pig world
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Rachel P
“Seriously lacking TLC”
Reviewed 28 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

My family and I stayed in Spring Cottage in August this year for a week, we were a large party: 3 children under 4yrs and 6 adults. We'd read the review below so we were considering cancelling as the property didn't seem in a fit state or at all family friendly.
However, after some reassurance from Sharon we kept the booking. It transpires, everything mentioned by the previous group was spot on. It's such a shame, the cottage was probably lovely a few years ago but it is seriously unloved. The walls are covered in marks, the house is generally dirty (like the family before us we spent the best part of the first day of our 'holiday' cleaning). I was in the downstairs room and a day in the roof started leaking onto the bed, I had noticed the damp the evening prior and the humidity had really aggravated my chest and asthma so felt quite ill for most of the holiday. The room is completely uninhabitable, we all had to move round rooms and with people sharing and sleeping on floors! The most worrying problem this house has is that it is right on an extremely busy road, I was constantly concerned the kids would make it out the gates onto the road, we couldn't really relax. For this reason we couldn't use the garden either, which is at best, grim. Oh, and the bulbs blew on a few occasions and short circuited the electricity.

I would seriously suggest Sharon closes shop for a couple of months, give the house a lick of paint, sort out the plumbling and electricity, give it a thorough deep clean and garden a complete overall. The house may just be a quick buck for you, but for families who save to go on holiday and look forward to breaks away together this is completely unacceptable. If I were in your position I'd compensate the last couple of visitors, apologise profusely and sort this property out.

New Forest is beautiful, next time I'll take a tent, it'll be drier.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The area
Liked least: The property
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
Management Response
2 Nov 2015
We did have a leak - due to a loose plug in the upstairs bath. The problem took a few visits for the plumber to find and remedy but once he did it hasn't been a problem since. As for the other comments, I have a wonderful cleaner and a wonderful gardener and they look after the house amazingly well for me. Towards the end of the summer season the house does receive a thorough clean and a tidy up in terms of painting and carpets cleaned etc. We do this once a year to ensure it looks great for guests. I stay there with my family and we love it as our home, we see it as a home and that's how we treat it. Most of our guests do the same thankfully.
Hannahand...
“Lovely holiday ”
Reviewed 21 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

The house is in a lovely location, 10 mins walk to lyndhurst town, very near a great park for the kids, beautiful nearby walks where you'll see horses and cows roaming. It's also less than 30mins drive to the coast. The other reviews are correct in that it's a very busy road by the house but if you are confident at driving/parking you'll be fine. My only criticism is about the up keep of the house. The electrics were a bit dodgy and we had problems with leaking. We weren't able to use one bedroom but the owner was easy to get hold of and responded very quickly. The garden is also not really fit to sit out in as it has a lot of trees and uneven ground. The top bunk in the kids room is also very close to the light above so we werent able to use the bed. It's a real shame about these couple of things as this house has so much potential. If the house and garden had a bit of a makeover I would definitely go back as the size, layout of the house and location was perfect. We had a great holiday regardless.

babyroo33
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Nice big house. But dirty and unkempt.”
Reviewed 20 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

i arrived at the property with my partner and two children at 3pm.
We got the keys and managed to unlock the top lock but could not unlock the bottom that was on the door knob. We jiggled it, pushed it, pulled it, basically did everything we could to try and get it open but to no avail. After an hour we had a Tesco delivery turn up (obviously we thought we'd be in the property by then) and even the two delivery drivers couldn't open the door. My two children were tired, hungry and bored. Eventually after the rest of the party arrived my step father managed to get the door open. Believe me Sharon, it wasn't just 'a jiggle' we had to slide a piece of a road atlas down the side to unlock it from where it had been locked from the inside. Which by the way WAS NOT US seeing as we had just arrived and straight away couldn't get in!
The house was lovely and big and had things like stair gates, booster seats and a toy box which I thought was a nice touch.
However it was absolutely filthy. I'm a professional cleaner and was disgusted by the sticky surfaces, dirty sponge and dishcloth, mucky floor and dust/debris behind the chairs. The house needs some tlc, and I wouldn't have minded it looking a bit scruffy if it was clean!
The bedroom downstairs had old water marks on the ceiling and half way through the week we noticed water coming down from the walls. After finally getting hold of Sharon she arranged for her handyman to come the following day. Apparently it's now fixed but its funny how this man admitted to having to get a locksmith out on numerous occasions because of the front door that you just have to 'jiggle'.
Overall I wouldn't recommend this property to anybody. It's cheaper than others in the area because it is run down and unclean. The owner is extremely hard to get hold of and judging by her comment on here, rude too. When faced with pictures of our stay and after listening to our complaints Sharon promised a refund and was apologetic. She said she would sell the house when my mother kept sending her pictures of the wall leaking and the overgrown garden. Now though she has not been in touch with any of us and there has been no refund or further apology. All we have had is a condescending comment on here after my mum wrote her review.
Do not stay in this house if after a tiring but fun day you want to relax in a clean environment, with working lights, non damp rooms and a tidy garden! You will not get that at spring cottage!!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: size and layout
Liked least: cleanliness. Rude and disinterested owner.
Travelling group: Large Group
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
teejay195...
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Unfactual”
Reviewed 16 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

Took the landlady a month to reply on TripAdvisor after our stay.....needless to say WE DIDN'T LOCK OURSELVES OUT AS WE COULDN'T GAIN ENTRY UPON ARRIVAL!!!
Yes a lovely spring cottage once we'd cleaned it all up..... 12 bags of rubbish,uncleaned house & I re-labelled mismatched keys & left the house & garden tidier than we found it! The big damp stain on the bedroom ceiling that was there when we arrived & leaked later in our stay? What happened to a thank you from sharon or the refund that was promised to my partner? Just don't take our word for it...maybe the pictures we took & whattsapped to the landlady and she didn't want to see after the first five will tell a different but truer story!
Yes spring cottage is a good size,good location & cheaper than other rentals nearby ....which if we ever return to the new forest we will endeavour to stay elsewhere

Management Response
2 Nov 2015
To future guests, please read more recent reviews. The house is beautiful. This lady and party need to chill out and relax a little :)
megsie558
Akbuk, Turkey
“Great potential......................”
Reviewed 15 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

The house was easily large enough for our family, 7 adults and 3 young children. The lounge was a little small but as we only spent the evenings in there when the little ones were in bed not too bad. It is a small walk into the town where there are many cafes, several pubs and a variety of shops. Budgens is expensive but OK for emergencies. A short drive and you can be in the forest proper with ponies, donkeys and cows. But..........I think maybe the owner ought to visit un announced when the person paid to clean is there or has just been. This is not a place for arachnophobes... luckily some of our party arrived earlier and removed all the daddy long legs spiders they could see but every day more were removed. I appreciate spiders are part of being in the country side but the cobwebs were everywhere and had been for some time. We needed to change the bed linen and the back of the linen cupboard had a very thick and black cobweb indeed. Every room was festooned when we first arrived. The downstairs loo had something on the wall which looked like a child had run a pooey finger down the tiles. We moved the toybox out into the conservatory and the floor underneath had not seen a vacuum for too long. The windows really do need to be cleaned too. The house is situated on the very busy one way system which is stop start busy all day and constantly moving traffic through the night. There is a huge drain cover right outside the house which as cars and lorries hit at speed during the night, do so with a bang so sleeping with the windows open is difficult. If you can sleep with the windows closed though you would be OK. The garden could do with a gate between the garage and the house; we had to build a barricade to keep the children in. We could not shut the carport doors due to cars parked on the driveway. The trees need cutting back to allow the garden to be used more. There was no toilet roll as promised...a small detail which had we not bought our own could have been difficult. It is a lovely house let down by the traffic and general lack of cleanliness. I would also recommend that the owner make themselves more contactable too as we had to chase them up several times, only getting an answer the during week before we went. Or use an agent. I have marked the 'yes' to recommend to a friend but that is not accurate. I would but with a cautionary note.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The locality is great; close to the forest, Poole, Southampton so many paces to visit.
Liked least: Cobwebs, un vacuumed areas, dirty windows, no loo roll.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing