5 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$201
TravelocityUS$201
Trip.comUS$201
TripadvisorUS$201
Orbitz.comUS$201
FindHotelUS$201
3,068 results
All reviews thalassotherapy pool water beds fitness classes outdoor pool healthy food health spa overlooking the lake snow room premier room thalassotherapy session spa area relaxing break ice room full body massage night break restaurant staff birthday treat
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 August 2021

Great customer service from Karl this weekend in the dining hall - the best! Everyone in the team worked really hard to deliver exceptional service whilst being short staffed. Thanks Karl you made our stay the best it could have been

Reviewed 12 August 2021 via mobile

So let’s get to it and review our 2 night stay which we booked through vitality at a 75% discount which cost us £230. Given that the full price based on the discount would have brought this in around the £900 mark , I would have been massively disappointed but given I paid £230, was I disappointed? Sadly yes.

Let’s do the pro’s first
The grounds are amazing .
The spa area is also very nice

Now the cons
Rooms are massively dated and look untouched since the earlier 90’s
No one explained where anything was so we didn’t know there was 2 restaurants, we didn’t know what the wrist bands were all about and still don’t, no-one explained where the rooms were. It was just lacking in care from the non welcoming staff.
The first evening meal in the spa area was limited ,with anything nice to eat having a surcharge . Fillet beef at an extra £9
I joked that breakfast would be the same, some fruit and a bowl of cornflakes would be free and a surcharge for a cooked breakfast. I quickly found out that I’m a psychic which really annoyed me .
Outside pool was tired and on,y open on one day of our stay. Also outdoor hot tub was also shut the same day .
There is no bar!!!! WTF
no entertainment in the evening of any description
Tried to order an afternoon tea at £15 to pass the time but was told it was too late at 4.20pm
We asked the maid for milk for out tea making facilities to get eyes rolled at our request
Tried to follow there map directions for their country walk which were impossible to follow. We used our phones GPS in the end.
Orangery shuts at 5pm despite having great views over the lake and lots of demand . Why can’t they keep the only other place to get a drink and a snack open til 7. ( if there was another place we weren’t told about it which means another problem)
Beds are utterly crap. I’ve slept on more comfortable rocks then these poor excuses for a good nights sleep.
Guest rooms doors creek , squeak and slam meaning that as people call it a day, it’s noisy but don’t worry, it doesn’t go on late as there’s F all else to do once dinner is done.

We are scrapping our second meal and heading to the Deer Hut gastro pub just to break up the poor excuse for a dinner and the complete lack of atmosphere.

Would I therefore recommend. What do you think?

Room tip: Yea, don’t go. Find something more interesting do
5  Thank mikeyb72
Reviewed 11 August 2021 via mobile

Very pleasant stay with my son for 1 night. Assisted very well by Armando with my booking - I like the personal touch. Very pleased we had an early arrival to make the most of our time, It was checked in very efficiently by Amy but luckily we weren’t in a queue. Small problem with our beds not being twin after emailing in advance but Tom rectified this very quickly. Dora was wonderful in the small dinning room and we found every single member of staff professional and friendly.. Good restaurant front of house men. The resort was full and very busy but we found the facilities good. How lucky we were to get 2 sunny days and it was great to enjoy the warm outdoor swimming pool and lay on the sunbeds. Yes, on day 2 the water was not as clean as on day 1 and the area needs someone to come and give this some attention along with tidying up cushions etc. My Elemis facial with Emily was fine although a little more massage whilst my mask was on would have been nice. My son had a quartz table men’s facial which he said was fantastic. He is a fine dining chef and we both thought the food was pretty good. Enjoyed the bruschetta. Caesar salad needs improvement - processed slices of cheese ripped up isn’t great. Tasty granola for breakfast and I enjoyed my cod lunch very much . Loved having a glass of Laurent Perrier whilst looking at the varied dinner menu followed by a nice bottle of red which wasn’t overpriced. Desserts need refinement. Please provide much better hairdryers with nozzles in the bedrooms and Chuck out the old weak ones. I found my bed rather hard and I do think that during lockdown more general maintenance could’ve been done. Flowers in vases were half dead and coffee had been spilt down the side of a chair in reception. Someone needs to be walking round daily doing inspections! Having said this, I only live 25 minutes from Tring but chose Forrestmere for somewhere different. The lake and views were beautiful and I’d certainly love to go back again. Thank you to all the staff.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank RedbournTraveler
Reviewed 7 August 2021 via mobile

Very poor clamping experience with Champneys. This is not what it says on the tin. The tents are not equipped as depicted, certainly not luxury or indulgent (I was reassured by Karl the duty manager that tents can vary in set-up and furnishings).

We paid for the Emperor Bell (the top of the clamping heights). Positioned by the road to the main building, cars were leaving with lights on up until midnight (there was a function in that no one mentioned). Oh, and freight trains running throughout the night o. The nearby train track not mentioned in the write-up and on top of everything, the lakeside is overrun by geese that’s ‘honk’ from dusk until dawn! This is not peace and serenity in a luxury spa resort. For whatever reason Champneys decided to position the clamping area at the bottom of a slope, literally all of the water runs down the slope and floods here.

If you are tempted, and why wouldn’t you from the brochure description and images - please don’t. Find a nice local glamping site that really does offer peace and serenity, where you can really immerse yourself in a natural experience.

Really poor Champneys at £465 a night! Shame on you - aggrieved that no-one at resort would take my complaint and feedback. Once again, greedy corporate bullies!

2  Thank latterex
Reviewed 7 August 2021 via mobile

This is the place to go when you need to step back and take a break.

From the second we entered the drive, saw the beautiful serene lake we just knew we were in for a great stay. We enjoy nature so we opted for the glamping option, mother’s nature we got! Thunder storms, sheet lighting, torrential rain and glorious sunshine, it all made for an amazing 2 nights. The glamping pods, the gathering, facilities and fire pit are just amazing we really had the best time.

Into the resort - AMAZING, the team are an absolute credit to Forest Mere, Amy who checked us on told us every detail and took us to our accommodation and made sure we were settled. The restaurant team were focused on every detail and took the time to ensure we knew every menu option and we were well educated in our choices.

We were lucky enough to have treatments, I had the most amazing facial with Lesley, I came out literally looking like a new person. Amber was also highly regarded for her massage.

We were on a well-being break so we also visited the well-being and fitness area - lovely! We did a class, tried the peloton and thoroughly enjoyed thalassotherapy, sauna, steam, tropical showers, pool, jacuzzi it was all just perfect.

They have a lovely retail area, we made sure we could have a spa experience at home so splashed out on the lovely champneys products.

The team here are just amazing, we can’t wait to come back.

Date of stay: July 2021