“Never again”

Premier Inn Thurrock West Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in West Thurrock
Reviewed 23 May 2017

This was the second stay at this hotel, the room was typical Premier Inn which we were used to at many other locations around the country so no problems there apart from the fact that there was only one bath towel supplied for two people, this was clearly hotel policy as when I reported it at reception the receptionist pointed to a large stack of towels at the end of the counter and asked us to help ourselves, we noticed several couples asking for another towel during the evening so evidently this is common practice. The room was quiet with air-con which was useful as the window is locked shut. The negative part about our stay was the service or rather lack of service at the restaurant. I have to agree with an earlier subscriber who titled it "Faulty Towers", the staff had a deliberate lack of eye contact throughout the evening, we were greeted by a staff member who was pre-occupied with her keyboard and monitor, although she acknowledged our arrival at her desk there was no eye contact apart from the comment, "be with you in a moment", we were happy to wait until she finished what she was doing but we were left standing around for ages until another waitress arrived and showed us to a seat. Following this every time we placed an order we had to go chasing after staff who totally ignored our presence throughout the evening. The longest wait was 40 minutes waiting for our dessert order to be taken, this was only achieved when a waitress worked her way along after setting up adjacent tables for breakfast to our table and asked whether we minded her setting our table up for breakfast, at this stage I reminded her we hadn't had the opportunity to order desserts, after taking our order she returned a couple of minutes after and asked us to repeat our order, needless to say this was the last time we saw her or our desserts so after the 40 minute wait I went in search of another waitress who took our order. and informed me that original order had not gone through for some reason.Then 10 minutes after finishing our dessert the previous waitress turned up and asked if we had ordered the same desserts twice. If the restaurant was busy I might have understood the lack of attention but there were only 3 other table occupied and they were clearly having the same issues we were inflicted with. There was clearly a lack of any staff supervision as staff were often spotted chatting together at the till totally unconcerned that those customers already present were desperately attempting to attract their attention. \This was without doubt the worst service we have ever had the misfortune to witness and the earlier subscribers title of "Faulty Towers" was very apt.
I fully expect a stock reply from management that "they will speak to team members" but as this issue has previously been brought to their attention by others evidently there own complacency is the root cause for such appalling service.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
WhitbreadHotels, Premier Inn Team at Premier Inn Thurrock West Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2017

Hi there

Thanks for taking the time to share your review.

We're pleased to hear you had no problems with the room and I can assure you we provide 1 hand towel per room and 1 bath towel per guest, so I'm sorry this didn't happen and I'll ensure retraining is implemented with the Housekeeping Team to ensure this is followed in future.

It's a shame to read of your disappointment with the service provided in the restaurant and for the delay in receiving your meals, this certainly isn't what we expect for our guests.

I'm also sorry you feel you'll just receive a stock reply. We are based at Head Office and so can only raise your comments with the Management Team, however we'll ensure they follow this up internally and implement the necessary actions and retraining with the team members so as to make sure all our guests are receiving the highest level of service.

We hope this hasn't put you off staying with us.

Kind Regards

Amy

Reviewed 15 May 2017

Not a central location but very handy for Lakeside and Bluewater. Room was recently refurbished to the new standard and like all the Premiers I've stayed in the cleanliness and quality of the rooms and service are to a high standard. Far better value than many independent hotels who charge more for far less.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2017

Think hard and long before you book
I booked this trip so my mother could see her friend in hospital who has stage 4 cancer.
1 I got an email 24 hours before traveling to say they may be not enough parking spaces at the hotel. But I could park my car overnight at Lakeside shopping centre, or a hotel 20 minutes away. I was traveling with a disabled vulnerable elderly person. I called the hotel to see if I could reserve a disabled parking space. No first come first severed and they advised me to get there early.
So we cut our hospital visit short to make sure we could park.
2 I booked an accessibility room we checked in my mum in her wheelchair getting to the room yes it had rails, but a bath no walk in shower. I complained I needed an walk in shower I was made to feel I should have asked when checking in. Getting to the room was not easy having to go through 2 hard to keep the open door then having to do a sharp turn between both doors. We did get moved after dinner.
3 evening meal the restaurant had run out of wine glasses, this was when it jut opened with only 11 people in it. We were given the menu and a list of things that they did not have. We ordered the lovely waitress come back and told us if we could order something else. So we had burger and chips over cooked and dry and took over an hour. We had ordered our dessert and again sorry we have no desserts left apart from the last 2 potions of profiteroles. I could have got a better meal at McDonald's at a third of the price.
Apparently they were changing the menu the following week so I prepared £100 for breakfast evening meal and bed. I would have never booked this hotel I had pre payed.
I payed full price for half the service and half the choice.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com
WhitbreadHotels, Premier Inn Team at Premier Inn Thurrock West Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2017

Hi Megan,

Thanks for your review.

I'm very sorry to hear that you experienced some issues during your recent visit to the Thurrock West Premier Inn with the accessibility and restaurant service. As parking is limited, it can only be offered on a first come first serve basis in order to be fair to all guests. Priority is given to disabled badge holders where designated spaces are provided however can only advise that these are first come, first serve also. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused by this.

I'm also sorry that the accessible room wasn't suitable for you as it was quite difficult to get to and had a bath. I am glad that the team were able to assist by providing an alternative room for you in the evening. In future if you do have any specific requests you'd like to make, please contact the hotel team directly and they will be happy to assist you further.

It was also a shame to hear that the service in the restaurant was poor as there was a lack of variety with the menu options. I have passed your comments onto the Restaurant Team for review, however once the new menu is in place, this issue should be prevented.

Your feedback is much appreciated as it enables us to improve our service. I hope if we do have the opportunity to welcome you again in future that you have a far better experience up to our usual standard.

Kind Regards,

Sharelle

Reviewed 8 May 2017

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ali G
Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

Attended this hotel and prior to arrival was sent an email to say that limited parking due to building work and if no spaces nearest parking would be 15 minute walk away. Arrived and checked in and was told that some items on evening menu not available. Room lovely and well presented. Beds comfortable. Couple of problems : as hotel near the road if you have the window open you hear traffic noise. Bathroom had a bath but no hand rails to hold onto so my elderly mother was unable to shower. Went to restaurant for our evening meal to find that the receptionist had not booked a table as requested at the time of checking in. Also found out that my booking on line for a meal deal had not been registered so had to pay again. As it was busy we had to wait for a table. Menu had around 15 items not available therefore only half items available rather than full menu. Breakfast in the morning was lovely buffet style and plenty of choices with cereals, fruit, yoghurt, and full english breakfast items along with Danish pastries and plenty of choices of different fruit juices. Hotel is conveniently located off M25 and is popular for construction workers as many vans in the car park during out stay.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
8.6 km away
Orsett Hall
Orsett Hall
#1 of 1 in Orsett

Been to Premier Inn Thurrock West Hotel? Share your experiences!