See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

The worst afternoon tea ever. Have been to many afternoon tea's and have never been disappointed until today. We arrived and had to wait for a short time and then led to a very dull corner of the restaurant, which was totally empty. Asked if we could sit by the windows which the man said was fine. The six of us sat there for several minutes in the totally silent dining room. Eventually the food came out and I have never seen such a disappointing spread. The cake's were dried up and not very pleasant, certainly not home made. The sandwiches were very poor. Cheese and cucumber,beef and horseradish, chicken salad and ham and tomato. The cakes I think had been frozen and as a result looked unappealing. The waiter was polite but had curry stains all over the front of his white shirt and all up his right sleeve, which didn't look very good. We asked if we could have some music put on which they did, only problem was it was playing in reception. Eventually after asking if we could have the music on in the dining room they managed to do so. Can not recommend this place at all.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank nannycakey
Reviewed 7 April 2017

When you pay half of what the local Premier Inn wanted its a bit rich to complain about what you get for the money.
This Hotel or rather Motel is clean and warm all clean towels and tea and coffee provided it is in an ideal location for access to London central and further afield.
We would not hesitate to use again can't say anything about the food as we ate out.

Room Tip: all rooms seemed to be in a quiet location
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen W
Reviewed 27 March 2017

Bleak room very run down no signs to follow and no staff to ask. Room clean but bathroom tatty with cracked basin. Breakfast in edible with no toast or cereal and cold coffee. Epping town just down road. Didn't see any other facilities nearby and their certainly wasn't any at the hotel. Just extremely worn and tired with unhelpful staff. We will not be returning and do not recommend at all.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie T
Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

The reviews for this place are pretty bad but to be honest for an overnight for business or so you can have a drink locally with friends, at £55 per room it's really quite adequate.
We found it to be clean and pretty inoffensive, breakfast was surprisingly nice with everything you needed.
The communal areas are a bit run down and I wouldn't recommend it for a luxury stay or for a special occasion but it does what it says on the tin. So booking with that in mind you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

I stopped at the Bell just for the night to break up a long journey to Suffolk. The hotel had free parking which was a definitive plus. I arrived late but the guy on duty was efficient and courteous giving clear directions to my room.

I was so pleasantly surprised by my room which was large, held a big bed and a full sized sofa. It easy nicely decorated with wooden sliding shutters which shut out the light completely. The double glazing was so good that I hadn't realised that I was at the front of the hotel near the main road. The bed was very comfortable, the shower was hot and powerful and there was a plentiful supply of complimentary smellies. The heated towel rail option was a nice touch too.

There was plenty of tea, coffee and milk and had I stayed longer, I could have made use of the decently sized mini-fridge.

Only issue was the lack of fan and main light in the bathroom, but I managed fine with just the over mirror light.

The place was clean and tidy and I would both return and recommend.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo