See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 July 2016

We stayed this weekend our first time here, as we were attending a wedding, first impression I didnt quite like the look it was a bit drab. Walking into the reception the girl there didnt welcome us and seemed quite unhappy and made us feel a bit awkward like we shouldnt be there. We had had rooms booked for us for months by the groom, an arrangement had been made enabling us to get into our rooms early as we had to be at the wedding for 1.45. The receptionist knew nothing of this arrangement and said we couldnt get into our rooms until 2pm. We were not happy, then she said we can get into our rooms earlier if we paid £20 each person as we had booked 2 rooms for 4 people. No way were we going to pay this extra on top of the £80 we were being charged for each room. I asked to speak to the manager and she said he wasnt around, then she said she would speak to the manager and get him to call me. We asked if there was any food available, my hubby checked with the barman and he offered crisps and peanuts no sandwiches available, he was rude. We asked the receptionist if she knew of anywhere we could eat as we dont know the area and she didnt have a clue. So we left to find somewhere to eat. I would recommend a lovely little pub down the road go to traffic lights turn left and its called The Forest Gate Inn lovely food and lovely friendly staff. While there the manager rang my hubby and not accommodating at all quite rude and aggressive and wouldnt let my hubby speak. When we got back our rooms were ready, considering what we paid and that didnt include breakfast our rooms were basic and really could be with updating, there were tea stains up the wall. There were noisy people running up and down the corridor and people outside my daughters room outside chatting loudly no respect early hours of the morning. We were told by a couple of people not to have breakfast as it wasnt that nice so we went back to the pub and had a lovely breakfast there.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Vijay S, Manager at The Bell Hotel Epping, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2016

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

Our Check Inn time is 1400 hours and we can not guarantee a room before the check inn time. Guest's are able to request for a room for an early arrival and the hotel will accommodate your request if possible.

To be able to check in earlier the hotel charges an early check inn fees of £20.00, which was requested in your case.

It is rather unfortunate that you had booked your room with out breakfast and were expecting the rates to be inclusive of breakfast. Breakfast is available to the guest who have booked room only and would like to add breakfast to their meal plan.

Our restaurant is open during dinner hours only and hence the Waiter offered Crisp's etc.

Reviewed 30 July 2016

Did my booking through laterooms when I arrived at the hotel they couldn't find the booking and they had no more of the twin rooms available so they upgraded us to family rooms.Although the rooms were fairly clean it was very basic and dated the shower was either freezing or scalding and very difficult to control so didn't manage to have a shower no extraction in the bathroom,no air conditioning so the room was very hot had the window open but the room faced onto the main road through to Epping so very noisy and to top it all the couple in the room next door decided to argue to 1.30 am when I then went and banged on their door. Such a shame I know the area very well grew up around there and the hotel Used to have a good reputation.

Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

Omg! Just phoned this hotel for a potential room booking. The person that answered the phone was so rude. I asked him why it was cheaper to go through booking.com and he told me he had people in front of him that needed serving!!! He then started to argue with me! Will NOT be using this hotel!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel. We booked online and read nothing on the website about a deposit but when we arrived we were informed we needed to pay £100 deposit as well as the £70 for our room. I asked when the money would be paid back and was told the very next day when we checked out.
Arriving in our over heated, over priced room. We were met by a mouldy bathroom ceiling. No soap. And a smell of cigarettes.
When checking out the receptionist tried to charge us a second time for our room.
We stayed on the saturday night and still hadnt received our deposit by the monday. I phoned the hotel to be told 3-5 working days. I asked to speak to the manager as i was not happy with this only to be hung up on!! Disgusting customer service.
I was then charged the £70 AGAIN!! This took me over drawn in my bank. The mouldy room had cost me £240 plus daily bank charges!! I finally received my deposit back 9 days after my stay!!!
Terrible rooms and even worse customer service. Will never stay here again.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sofeywofey

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

We have advertised on all online travel agency website that hotel will need a pre-authorization. If you do not have a credit / debit card which can b pre-authorised then only we request for a deposit of £100.00.

Reviewed 25 July 2016

my brother and I stayed there for one night at the end of July. We were a bit apprehensive as we had not been there before..but it was really good. Our twin room was very clean and very well equipped...The downsides were...we arrived about 9.30in the evening and we waited about 15 minutes at reception before anyone came to book us in and when he did come he was rather sullen...a smile would have been really nice..then he proceeded to tell us the complicated way to our room....also...I think it was rather pricey