All reviews the pub mixed roast new extension frozen chips liver family meal east sussex grade listed building midweek lunch chicken supreme creaking floors beautiful old building friendly feel the portion size narrow lane lamb historic village
Reviewed 15 October 2017

Very old Tudor building, open fire, old wood paneling inside. Varied menu and the food was excellent quality. The staff were most attentive and pleasant. Great dessert and really good coffee. There is also a lovely glassed in extension deck with a lovely view of the downs. carpark on site, but if that is full and you enter via South St behind the hotel there is a good size FREE carpark, so most convenient,

Room Tip: We only dined in the restaurant
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Gillian S
Reviewed 25 September 2017

The Middle House has always had a reputation for excellent food at sensible prices and their new Brasserie continues this but the setting is just fabulous and modern. Just not what I expected when walking through the traditional part of the restaurant. The menu is slightly different from their more traditional fare. We shared a super plate of whitebait for a starter and then had a very, tender steak cooked to perfection (or rather rare to perfection) and delicious fish. Well worth a visit. We will be going back, this time in daylight to see the view.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2017

The sun was shining and mother-in-law had some relatives over from Oz. The new terrace dining area was perfect for the occasion. I particularly like game but am generally only satisfied when I do it all from start to finish, including seeing it is properly hung. When I was told there was only one order of grouse left I took the plunge and was not disappointed. The stuffed leg was delicious and the breast meat perfectly cooked and gamy. I would have preferred game chips instead of mashed potato cooked like a scallop, and bread sauce. The gravy was nice but a thinner one mostly of the bird's own juices was what I was looking for.
I had my eye on one of my dining companion's burger and 'chunky' chips. He left the bun entirely as he claimed it probably contained sugar and his diet has him avoiding sugar wherever possible. The chips looked excellent and I was not offered any to sample despite hinting strongly.
The pudding course only tempted one of us four who had a creme brule which was reported to be excellent. I had an Americano and the burger man a Capuccino. We both agreed they were off the ideal serving temperature by a couple of degrees. I like my coffee piping hit and this was not.
The service was excellent. The loo for gentlemen was pristine. Overall the perfect place to impress mother-in-law. Plenty of parking.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

After dark last night I happened on Mayfield needing a bed.
What a fantastic find!
Warmly greeted and treated at the bar, I was soon closeted in my 4 poster character filled room with a great tastefully and spotless modern ensuite.
Dinner in the bar was delicious, fresh and beautifully presented! Once again great friendly service!
After a walk through the pretty town and country I was the only one for breakfast with the open fire roaring I felt like royalty as I feasted on fresh berries and Kippers (separately lol). Seldom have I experienced more attentive service.
Sadly I have to keep moving or I would be here for the week!
Well done Middle House you should be very proud of your team.
Bill West
Gold Coast Oz

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank WattyandWesty
Reviewed 11 September 2017

My family took me here for my birthday mid week. The new extension is modern and light and fits well with the old building. This surprised me as the main building is ancient and quirky. As usual the bar was full but we had booked a table in the restaurant so no problem. There is a fairly large car park at the rear of the hotel. Staff very helpful and pleasant. Mayfield is a lovely village

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family