All reviews the pub mixed roast church bells red cabbage new extension liver family meal for sunday lunch east sussex beautiful old building historic village lamb generous portions local produce booked a table cooked to perfection varied menu
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

I visited on business I stayed two night in room 4. It was a nice vibe and had standard supplies however was missing a desk. one of the staff members kindly offered a table downstairs which was really appreciated.

the food in the bar was really amazing limited option for veggies, but the veggie burger was one of the best I have eaten.

staff were very friendly and lovely.

would have given four and half if that was possible.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

I've been coming to the Middle House for years, and it never disappoints. Staff are always friendly and I've seen the same staff working there for years, which says a lot. Attended on a Monday evening and had the mixed roast from the carvaly, amazing value at £15, which includes a salad starter. Atmosphere, food, value, service all top notch. New addition to the pub looks great too, can't wait to check it out.

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

With much sadness after visiting the Middle House for the past 20 years I have to report my recent experience at what I have always considered my fall back pub/ restaurant, the one place I could've taken anyone , friends, business associates or potential clients, without fear of embarrassment.
The food has always been consistent, not wow, not poor, the service from the staff has always been good but it seems something has changed for the worst at The Middle House, Mayfield.
If you send food tainted by lighter fuel to your guests be prepared for complaints!
If you then argue with your guests that they have imagined the overpowering fumes of barbecue lighter fluid on their food and then argue the deduction of that meal from the bill, that has frankly tainted an otherwise pleasant evening, then you have a lot to learn about customer service.
To offer a new meal is welcome but TOO late as the other guests are well into their meal and it doesn't release you from your responsibility to your customer to have provided edible food in the first instance.
The restaurant manager may see a deduction from the bill for possibly poisonous and at the very least tainted food as as an apology and an attempt at compensation but one of my party who had eaten some of their food on the plate provided, then had nothing ( except sharing mine)
If a customer complains they are serious and you must take it seriously, investigate the problem and find a solution which is good for your customer............FULL STOP in favour of the injured party, your CUSTOMER!
Your chef will of course say" it tastes, smells, good to me" of course he would but your chef doesn't pay the bills!!!!!
Wake up Middle House!!!!!!!!
I have hundreds of restaurants to eat in, you have one.
If your attitude is " go there " then good luck to you!

3  Thank compon
Reviewed 10 August 2017

The Middle House is in a very lovely old building and the decor is in keeping with this. We were sat on a table near to the back with the modern extension, which meant that it was quite loud as there was an event on there. The menu was your standard fancy English menu; pork, steak, duck breast, pie etc. I ordered pork belly as a starter which was nice. My boyfriend is gluten intolerant and couldn't have the mash that came with this but instead of giving him something else as a replacement like an extra bit of pork, they just left a big space. I don't really feel that's fair as he paid the same price and potato doesn't contain gluten so I don't know what they put in it for it to contain gluten. For mains, three of our party had the peppered sirloin steak which was delicious. I had a steak and mushroom pie, and the pastry was very lovely. It was extremely rich though and was served with garlicky and creamy dauphinoise. I think it needed something lighter to cut through the richness. The desserts looked amazing. Sadly I couldn't fit dessert in but I wish I had been able to. I ordered a liqueur coffee which I was disappointed in as it was very cool and didn't taste much of liqueur. The service wasn't amazing at this restaurant but wasn't bad. However when you go to a more expensive restaurant, I do expect the service to be better. For example, the staff weren't very friendly and didn't pour the wine when they brought it to the table. Gluten was an issue as well as it was in a lot of their food such as gravy etc which you wouldn't expect it to be. The food was nice but I wouldn't rush back here.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Situated in the village of Mayfield, The Middle House is easily found on the main road. Large Car park to the rear accessed via a small (and easily missed) access road. The building is lovely, very old with beautiful timbers. A new extension and outdoor seating area has recently been added. We had pre booked, which may be advisable as it is a popular venue. We were a party of 9 and throughout the service was very good. The menu is varied but not overly excessive. The portion size is generous, delicious and well presented. Overall a very enjoyable time was had by everyone.