All reviews the pub mixed roast new extension frozen chips liver family meal east sussex grade listed building midweek lunch chicken supreme creaking floors beautiful old building friendly feel the portion size narrow lane lamb historic village
Reviewed 10 August 2017

The Middle House is in a very lovely old building and the decor is in keeping with this. We were sat on a table near to the back with the modern extension, which meant that it was quite loud as there was an event on there. The menu was your standard fancy English menu; pork, steak, duck breast, pie etc. I ordered pork belly as a starter which was nice. My boyfriend is gluten intolerant and couldn't have the mash that came with this but instead of giving him something else as a replacement like an extra bit of pork, they just left a big space. I don't really feel that's fair as he paid the same price and potato doesn't contain gluten so I don't know what they put in it for it to contain gluten. For mains, three of our party had the peppered sirloin steak which was delicious. I had a steak and mushroom pie, and the pastry was very lovely. It was extremely rich though and was served with garlicky and creamy dauphinoise. I think it needed something lighter to cut through the richness. The desserts looked amazing. Sadly I couldn't fit dessert in but I wish I had been able to. I ordered a liqueur coffee which I was disappointed in as it was very cool and didn't taste much of liqueur. The service wasn't amazing at this restaurant but wasn't bad. However when you go to a more expensive restaurant, I do expect the service to be better. For example, the staff weren't very friendly and didn't pour the wine when they brought it to the table. Gluten was an issue as well as it was in a lot of their food such as gravy etc which you wouldn't expect it to be. The food was nice but I wouldn't rush back here.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Situated in the village of Mayfield, The Middle House is easily found on the main road. Large Car park to the rear accessed via a small (and easily missed) access road. The building is lovely, very old with beautiful timbers. A new extension and outdoor seating area has recently been added. We had pre booked, which may be advisable as it is a popular venue. We were a party of 9 and throughout the service was very good. The menu is varied but not overly excessive. The portion size is generous, delicious and well presented. Overall a very enjoyable time was had by everyone.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2017

My wife and I booked a table of 16 on Sunday 30th July 2017. The guests pre-ordered from a selection of 4 choices for starter, main and sweet, which was followed by coffee and mints. We were ushered to a single table in their newly furbished restaurant at the rear of their Elizabethan pub/restaurant. We overlooked rolling Downland through massive Picture Windows. We were able to overlook a play area where the youngsters were allowed to come and go freely.

The meal was first rate, served promptly, hot and without fuss or trouble, even when I asked for slight changes to the booked menu.

We would have no hesitation in recommending this establishment for any occasion.

Room Tip: Didn't stay, so cannot comment on any of the above
Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

Visited last week, with work colleagues. This was the first time I have ever been there and I can honestly say I was very impressed. The food was colourful and presented beautifully, and most importantly tasted amazing! The staff were so friendly and polite and the atmosphere of the the pub was very warm and welcoming. I shall be returning again for certain!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed lunch in this picture postcard pub on a rainy afternoon. The menu had a good variety of offerings (including vegetarian options), and we settled on classic cod and chips along with a Thai prawn curry. Both dishes were excellent and the portion sizes were ample. We ordered from the bar, but service to the table and cleanup of our plates was fast and friendly. Would definitely go back!

Stayed: July 2017