All reviews the pub mixed roast church bells red cabbage new extension liver family meal for sunday lunch east sussex beautiful old building historic village lamb generous portions local produce booked a table cooked to perfection varied menu
Reviewed 31 July 2017

My wife and I booked a table of 16 on Sunday 30th July 2017. The guests pre-ordered from a selection of 4 choices for starter, main and sweet, which was followed by coffee and mints. We were ushered to a single table in their newly furbished restaurant at the rear of their Elizabethan pub/restaurant. We overlooked rolling Downland through massive Picture Windows. We were able to overlook a play area where the youngsters were allowed to come and go freely.

The meal was first rate, served promptly, hot and without fuss or trouble, even when I asked for slight changes to the booked menu.

We would have no hesitation in recommending this establishment for any occasion.

Room tip: Didn't stay, so cannot comment on any of the above
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

Visited last week, with work colleagues. This was the first time I have ever been there and I can honestly say I was very impressed. The food was colourful and presented beautifully, and most importantly tasted amazing! The staff were so friendly and polite and the atmosphere of the the pub was very warm and welcoming. I shall be returning again for certain!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed lunch in this picture postcard pub on a rainy afternoon. The menu had a good variety of offerings (including vegetarian options), and we settled on classic cod and chips along with a Thai prawn curry. Both dishes were excellent and the portion sizes were ample. We ordered from the bar, but service to the table and cleanup of our plates was fast and friendly. Would definitely go back!

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Wow what an experience a 16 century property , the staff are so very friendly and helpful coupled with a great menu and high quality food well presented
Worth booking as it is so popular and well worth that special trip for an excellent meal

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

Checked out reviews on here whilst driving by seeking somewhere to eat. Came up trumps, seemingly, so stopped and found ourselves sitting in the pub garden.
After witnessing a bevy of delicious choices pass by, we were increasingly looking forward to our own traditional pub fayre choices of steak and ale pie and cod and chips done the Middle House way. We were not disappointed on one score.
The pie was a picture, presented as a pastry pot with a scallop edged lid in a sea of rich gravy. The beef inside was tasty and plentiful. The veg of potato, two ways (dauphinois and sauté); broccoli and carrots were cooked to perfection.
The cod was fresh, white and flaky with a light batter, served with a small pot of homemade tartare sauce, chips, garden peas and side salad. Unfortunately for me, and in spite of the fish being perfectly cooked, the frozen chips let it down somewhat. A shame since the burgers I'd seen earlier were served with fresh, hand cut caged chips; exactly what I would expect to have in a gastro pub with high end fish and chips costing £14.50....but clearly not the case
Apart from that an enjoyable hour well spent in the sun before a slow meander around the village.