“Wonderful & so dog friendly :)”
Review of Rocksalt On Sea

Rocksalt On Sea
Ranked #13 of 143 Restaurants in Bexhill-on-Sea
Price range: US$6 - US$51
Description: Rocksalt-On-Sea is a Brasserie Bar offering a lively atmosphere and usually locally sourced produce. A range of starters, mains and desserts are available at Lunch and Dinner, whilst Breakfast and Bar Snacks are available at other times. We have a fully licensed Bar and weekly live music to add some rock and roll to your dining experience. No reservations are taken, so turn up and take a seat, order at the bar and your food is brought to you.
Reviewed 16 July 2016

We took our big dog inside with us and he was very warmly welcomed by everyone, especially the Polish manageress who loves all dogs, she warmly welcomed our dog and I noticed every other dog that came in - big or small - all got a warm welcome from her!

Our dog was also brought his own bowl of water - the biggest he has ever had anywhere else, which he really enjoyed and the staff didn't mind the mess he made on the wooden floor as he is a sloppy drinker! We did apologise for the mess he made and the manageress was fine about it - which made us feel even more welcome!

We were also very warmly welcomed, not just our dog and allowed to sit at a table for six in the window, as we wanted our big dog to be able to sit comfortably with us and there was more space around this table than elsewhere, even though there were just two of us. I did say that we would be happy to share if anyone else wanted to join us as it was very busy here on the day we went.

There was quite a cold wind blowing and one large table of people were just moving inside from the tables outside, as we arrived.

The staff didn't have any L plates on and I must admit they all seemed extremely good and competent!

We had Hoegaarden first as that is our favourite white beer from Belgium. It came in the proper half pint glasses and I loved the half slice of orange in it - my husband didn't and took his out straight away!

We ordered the mixed platter to share for starters and that was our favourite of the whole meal - delicious.

There was chicken liver pate - which I didn't try as I hate all offal but my husband liked it but would have preferred to eat it on plain bread, as there were only 4 slices of garlic bread, so he had to put it on that - so I did mention this to the manageress and I hope they add some plain bread for people to use with the pate.

There was a little bowl of mixed black and green olives which I really enjoyed. My husband hates them!

There were lots of meats - all fabulous. I loved the smoked duck breast best of all but the large chorizo slices were also very tasty and the parma ham was a delight.

Next time I'm going to have this for my main without sharing it! It is worth every penny of the £16 charged.

We had the pork BBQ ribs with chips for our mains - it's a generous portion but at £15 we found the ribs were a bit sparse in meat. The BBQ sauce was lovely. The chips were ok too.

For dessert we had the creme brulee. We took these outside as it was getting very hot inside by now and we welcomed the cold wind outside to cool us down and our dog was also getting a bit too hot!

The brulee we found a bit disappointing. A good crisp topping but the creme did not seem to taste of proper double cream and at £5 each we thought a bit on the expensive side.

We loved this place though and found the service excellent - apart from the extra rose wine they put on our bill for £5 :(

My husband paid and didn't check the bill.

I did as we were walking away afterwards and went back to get a refund for the £5 overcharged. I put it in the staff jar for tips - they share the tips out between all the staff.

We will certainly be going back here as we loved it and we have booked to stay in a nearby B&B for two nights for our wedding anniversary on the 22nd July - so hubby can have a few more beers!

This place is doing the upstairs up right now to open up as a B&B as well, so it will have brilliant sea views as it is right opposite the sea. The manageress told me that the top floor will be the most expensive - I guess as it will be further away from the noise when bands are playing!

The ladies toilet was very clean when I went in. It's situated on the ground floor, next door to the gents.

The owner of this place also owns the Italian restaurant next door.

RocksaltOnSea, Public Relations Manager at Rocksalt On Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Great comments, we really appreciate positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 16 July 2016

I used to think that the best spare ribs were served in Holland but I am wrong try them here they are better. Brilliant food with very good prices and you leave happy and knowing you will be back again.

Hi,
Thank you for your very positive review. We agree that the ribs are a little bit special. We hope that you can come in again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

I came here with a friend and I tried the scallops to start which was quite a mean portion (maybe they were running out on a busy Sunday afternoon) followed by the burger which was really tasty and a generous plate. My pal ate the soup followed by stuffed chicken which she didn't rate and she left most of it but this may just be her own preference.
One problem I have with this place is that you can't book a table and when I go out to eat we generally like to book in advance to be sure of getting in where we want, but apart from this the atmosphere is chilled and the décor is interesting. The service was okay and the staff were wearing their L plates which was a great idea as it diffused any teething issues because they had not long opened. I will probably return but would be more likely to eat there again if I could book!!!

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

Following a disappointing first visit we have since215 been back 3 times in 4 weeks. Great hosting , good value food and atmosphere at different times of the day - looking forward to feequenting often over the summer.

Hi,

Thank you for your excellent review. We look forward to having you back at rocksalt-on-sea.

Reviewed 11 July 2016

New addition to the seafront eateries and well worth a visit. Broad range of the usual suspects on the menu only had the burger but very tasty. Will return.

Hi,
Thank you for your review. Greatly appreciated. We hope to see you again.