“Gorgeous boutique luxury, still finding its feet”
Review of The Swan

and 1 more site!
The Swan
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Southwold
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed the first weekend after the renovation and probably experienced both the best and the worst of this property.

We liked the food, the decor, the endless comfy lounge spaces and the quirky modern British style fusing lovely old architectural details with bright designer touches - this is not a crusty heritage hotel but lives up to the standards of the best boutique hotels I've enjoyed around the world -I can see that some of the old guard who've reviewed it already are unhappy with the changes. Each to their own I guess, I loved it.

The whole property was overheated on the first night and an extractor fan outside the window of room seven spoiled my ability to get the temperature right - unless that's sorted I'd avoid the room altogether - (it has only a shower, no bath in any case) but night two they moved us to a gorgeous room at the front with sun streaming in and a sofa area where I lounged with the paper and my Nespresso.

The warmth of the rooms was more than matched by the warmth of welcome - as a veteran of over 1000 nights away from home I've seldom met such a bright and friendly bunch of staff who made us feel genuinely welcomed. The restaurant is still finding its feet, particularly at breakfast, personally I struggle to remain cheery in the face of a half hour wait for a bowl of porridge at that time of day. I'd rather less 'fabulous' but faster. I'm sure they'll sort that out. For me, the sign of good service is how they respond to a 'problem' and they sorted my room-temperature complaint with immediate efficient charm.

In summary, if you're looking for traditional stiff-shirt style, look elsewhere, but if you want a contemporary, special, enveloping cosy experience, you can sink as I did into the embrace of their feathery beds with a sigh and a smile.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nealcs
AdnamsSouthwold, Manager at The Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Dear Neal thank you for taking the time to write a review, after your recent stay.

I was delighted to read that you “liked the food, the décor, the endless comfy lounge spaces” and the “warmth of the welcome”. The team prides itself on offering a “cosy experience” and I am glad we lived up to your expectations with our “feathery beds”

Thank you also for your constructive feedback which I have taken on-board.

The whole team look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

This hotel has been beautifully updated, great furniture , incredibly comfortable beds, well appointed mini-bars, coffee machines and music systems - everything you would want from a modern boutique hotel.
We stayed in the 1st week after it had reopened and there were still some teething issues with Staff, only one breakfast chef and cocktails took too long to arrive in the evening .
Overall highly recommended the staff were also incredibly friendly and helpful and the manager genuinely wanted feedback so I’m sure the teething problems will be ironed out.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
6  Thank wandagold

Thank you Wanda for taking the time to write a review of The Swan Southwold and describing it as a “Fabulous re-furbished hotel”

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your first stay and that you had a wonderful experience with us. We are thrilled by your comments and it is great to know that all the little extras “incredibly comfortable beds, well appointed mini-bars, coffee machines and music systems” added to your stay.

I have personally taken on-board your feedback and have highlighted this with the Food and Beverage manager.

The team look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 14 October 2017

The hotel has just been re-opened after an extensive 9 month re-fit. I was very impressed with the styling, decor and general attention to detail which ooze luxury and comfort. The rooms are very comfortable with all the little extras that make for a memorable stay (including an Adnam’s half bottle of gin). I was also very impressed with the friendliness of the staff and the general level of service. Help with luggage and booking restaurants etc Is not what I’m used to in British hotels. There were a few teething problems particularly in the restaurant where staff were clearly just getting on their feet but importantly my evening meal was superb. In terms of room for improvement I think the breakfast buffet choices could be greater.

Room Tip: Room 15 is absolutely lovely. Spacious with views over the town and towards the sea
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank CliveSanders

Thank you Clive for writing a review and describing The Swan Southwold as a “Beautiful Hotel to be thoroughly recommended”

The team were delighted that you were “very impressed with the styling, décor and general attention to detail” and it “ooze luxury and comfort”

I particularly like your comments on “all the little extras” which we will feel add to the overall guest experience, especially the “Adnam’s half bottle of gin”

I have taken on board you constructive feedback on our service in the restaurant and will make sure these are addressed with further training and I have already added further dishes and juices to our breakfast buffet.

The whole team look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

There is a reason that the Georgians used deep, greyed off pastel colours - they were inspired by the frescoes of classical Greece and Rome and complemented perfectly their beautiful, refined buildings. I cannot understand why, therefore, this wonderful hotel has been refurbished in such a tacky, predictable and pseudo Shoreditch style. Fuchsia pink and emerald green velvet, empty bottles hanging from the ceiling instead of chandeliers and the lovely experienced older staff replaced by wannabe hipsters in their 20.s. It was always a destination for afternoon tea - delicious sandwiches, homemade shortcake, lemon posset, fruit cake and a scone the size of a tea plate for £12. The new menu is offering half of that at £28. The food in the previously elegant restaurant with white pristine table cloths was always fantastic, now the restaurant looks like glorified Wagamama with a bar at the back. What a terrible shame.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
53  Thank beltonhall
AdnamsSouthwold, Manager at The Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I was disappointed to read that you feel that the refurbishment is not to your liking. We have had plenty of positive comments and reviews on this website over our refurbishment and restaurants.

I take all constructive comments positively and I will certainly review our afternoon tea offering and monitor any future feedback.

Lyndon Barrett-Scott

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southwold
0.1 km away
36.9 km away
The Oaksmere
The Oaksmere
#1 of 1 in Eye

Been to The Swan? Share your experiences!