The Crown
Blyth Hotel(Southwold)
Randolph Hotel(Southwold)
The Angel Hotel(Halesworth)
View Hotel
All reviewssister hotelcosy barwine listhigh streetdressing gownsgreat roomrisottosuperior roomkipperslovely hoteladnams brewerybed and breakfastdining experienceblack puddingbreakfast was excellentseaside townold building
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 January 2012

5 of us decided to eat at The Crown on New Years' Day and we can't recommend it enough. There was a set menu on the day priced at a very reasonable £20.00 for 2 courses. The food was amazing and the service was fantastic.

We loved it that much that we went again the following day for a light bite and a bottle of vino!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Our friends were celebrating his 50th in Southwold so we were invited to join them as a suprise. They had an apartment, we booked the Crown.
As my husband said he had booked a very expensive hotel which ought to be very nice, we arrived Saturday afternoon and I was recovering from a rotten cold and still feeling rough. Checked in, reception staff lovely, very friendly, went up to the room and must say first impressions were 'overpriced and over-rated'. The room was fairly basic and FREEZING so husband went back to reception (lots of stairs) to ask for heaters and heating. Lady apologised, brought two heaters up, plugged them in and left. I walked across the room then BANG & BLUE FLASHES - heaters blew up. By now I'd had enough. Lovely receptionist de-camped us to sister hotel The Swan - MUCH better. Got into hot bath to heat myself up then sat wrapped in luxurious towels and dressing gown only to find BOTH TV's not working. Sent for maintenance man. He couldn't fix them and suggested we changed rooms. To be fair this was not his fault and he was very helpful. No, we didn't want to change rooms - I'd just got warm! So no TV. They gave us complimentary sandwiches and a drink, which was very nice of them. Went to the Crown for the meal to meet our friends. When they arrived, they were approached and asked if they had booked, which my friend told them she had. The waitress said 'Yes, there are four of you' (This was supposed to be a surprise!). Eventually had the meal which I would not rush back for. The 'birthday boy' had to ask for his chips which should've accompanies the steak. The waiters were great - nothing was too much trouble but obviously the kitchen is not in sync.As our friend treated us, we felt we couldn't complain.
Southwold is lovely, but honestly, the hotel(s) are vastly overpriced. We missed breakfast (latest 10 am) and were still charged the full price of £220. We've stayed in Gleneagles for less with much superior accommocation/food/service.Next time we will rent an apartment -oh, we recommend the Sole Inn - great hospitality and food (friends went next day for lunch, we had a drink there).
Apparently the Adnams tour is wonderful (friends went next day) and I can vouch for the toffee vodka which they brought back.
LOVED the evening with our friends, but so disappointed that my husband's first trip to Southwold was probably his last!

Room Tip: Go look first!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Lizi090411
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed recently, paying £173 for a standard room!!. The room was a lovely size,large bathroom and warm. But considering the price, we were disappointed with the state of the rooms. The bedroom area had large dried up wet patches on the wall and mould marks on the ceiling where a pipe once leaked. The bathroom was worse. The shower screen was almost falling off the wall, extremely tatty and falling apart from the bottom. It was filthy along the lower level too (damp sludge). The tiles by the taps were falling away from each other leaving dirty greasy gaps. The electric shower hose was untouchable!. The bathroom never had any toiletries replaced over 3 nights. We had to ask.
Having said that, I know the place is now closed for a huge refit and update to all the rooms. Boy we must have heard that a hundred times from the staff, but that didnt help us paying so much money at the time. I felt cheated.
The food doesnt seem to have the same quality to it in the evenings.My husband had the most expensive steak and it was the size of a small burger. My waldorf salad did not have all the ingredients as stated on the menu.It seems picky but we paid alot for the food.
But the breakfasts (cooked were very good), the bed extremely comfortable and the best of all were the staff, they were great.
To stay here again, I would go when there are offers on. It was very expensive for the poor quality rooms. (Regardless of being reminded so many times about the refurb!!)
I hope The Crown can get itself back on the map as a good quality hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cambridgegal67
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We did not stay, but ate in the restaurant last night, and although a shockingly grubby carpet, and slightly tired decor, had a fantastic meal! My partner is a vegetarian, and she adored the bubble & squeak cake. I had the sirlion steak, which was cooked to perfection, and although originally thinking £22.00 was a bit over priced, discovered it was worth every penny. The wine list is up there with the best, packed full of choice. The service was friendly and welcoming. I strongly advise you to visit, we will certainly return.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John S
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We used to spend a lot of time in Southwold some years back, and The Crown was our favourite place. The food and wines were always great, the atmosphere bright and buzzing. We’d stayed there a few times, and always enjoyed ourselves - the rooms were plain, but clean and unpretentious. So, when we were looking for a much-needed Christmas treat, it made sense to go back, and we booked two double rooms, one standard, one superior. We booked for two nights, the minimum allowed over the festive season.
There was little difference in the rooms - apart from size, despite a difference in cost. The superior one (ours) was chilly, the bed was seriously poor, the carpet was stained - the standard room, although more out of the way, was smaller, but actually nicer. The member of staff who showed us to our room commented how cold it was and apologised - she tried to get the radiators working properly, with no lasting success. There was a portable heater under a table - obviously this was not a new issue with this room, and we discovered from other guests that they had abandoned this room on previous stays thanks to the cold... that was disappointing to hear.
The bathroom was a decent size, and had plenty of very nice toiletries available, quality white towels and bathrobes. But the ceiling over the bath was badly marked with mould, the glass folding shower screen was in very poor condition, and there was peeling paint above the shower. Not exactly welcoming for a long soak with a glass of Christmas wine and a good book! We were told that neither The Crown nor The Swan (Adnam's main hotel in Southwold) was full over Christmas, and we began to see why this might be. We were also told that the hotel would be completely refurbished in 2012.

The food was good, as were the wines. We ate in the bar on Christmas Eve - it was not possible to book a table, and that had been the cause of worry on the journey up - where would we eat if we couldn't get a table. In the event - we needn't have worried - there were plenty of tables available. Oh dear...
We knew there was nothing organised, apart from Christmas lunch, and that suited us fine. We went for long walks - the town and its surroundings are brilliant for walking. We had booked Christmas lunch for 3 pm - and came back from a walk to find the restaurant and bar were packed, the atmosphere much much better than the evening before, and the kitchen served almost 100 very decent lunches, plenty of choice - and certainly not all turkey. Much enjoyed - and the staff were happy - cheerful, a pleasure to be around - even though they'd given up their own Christmases. The chef came out to say hello - he'd been up since 7.30 am with his own kids...a nice touch and much appreciated.
The cooked breakfasts were very good indeed. On Christmas Day we were offered a complimentary buck’s fizz on the house - but again, something felt wrong - the cereals and so forth looked a little sparse on their table - a single dish of yogurt, a small dish of compote, and a jug or two of juice... not really very exciting. However - a nice touch - boiled eggs came in gorgeous, amusing hand-knitted cosies. I asked if I could buy them, and that didn't present a problem.

On check-out, I mentioned the chilly nature of the superior room (I'd been reading wrapped up in a duvet - there is no sitting room at The Crown -) - and said how poor the bed was. Suggested the staff ought to try them out ...and I was expecting a token reduction in price as a result. Hmph. Wishful thinking!

Overall - we enjoyed our stay, but felt that for what we paid, The Crown did not deliver value for money. Those who stay after refurbishment will benefit - and the prices now probably reflect the correct levels for a fresh, fully-functioning building. The staff are very good - but we reckoned they were working in a lovely old building which has been allowed to slip. And when you are paying £205 for two for bed and breakfast, I'm afraid you can't get away with that without comments.

Our advice might be to wait until refurbishment is completed - and if not - avoid Room 2 unless you like a cold room with a bed that lurches like a trampolene each time your partner turns over.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family