See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Pleasantly surprised after reading negative reports. Staff were pleasant and helpful.Room was of a good size,was clean and comfortable. Basic furniture but OK.Small TV was difficult to see for oldies. On suite was basic and dated but clean. overbath shower screen seal was broken and leaked over floor. New carpets to rooms landing and staircase.Breakfast was OK

Room tip: high rooms are best but is some road noise
Date of stay: August 2017
Reviewed 16 November 2016

We were shown to our room on the top floor by a friendly and helpful guy. The room was very dated although efforts had been made to smarten it up. Room was hot and the windows were sealed up- probably good as the pub is next to a busy road. The Wi-fi did not reach to the top floor. i didn't think the room was dirty as mentioned in other reviews, the carpet was old with some stains. Bed was comfortable.Shower unusable- choice of cold of scalding- no warning displayed.Would help if they informed guests not to bother trying.
Breakfast was disappointing, instant coffee and old cereal, cooked breakfast was OK.

Date of stay: October 2016
1  Thank Morag G
Reviewed 11 November 2016 via mobile

A large pub on a crossroads with a carpark onsite. I noticed hoarding up on arrival and when it was booked there was no mention of building work being carried out. I was shown to my freezing cold unpleasant out dated room and was told the heating would come on soon and it would be toasting later! After an hour of sitting in the cold I went for a curry down the road. Not wanting to go back to the grubby room and watch the miniature TV I opted to go to the lovely theatre/cinema down the road where the heating was on full and a managed to defrost!
I returned to my room and the 1metre square radiator was on. Unfortunately it's not big enough to heat a 20 metre square room and the bathroom radiator didn't even work! I found a plug in heater and placed it in the bathroom an hour before I used it in the morning to avoid freezing to death. I couldn't get the mixer shower to work properly as it was either freezing or scolding so I opted for a bath.
Breakfast choice of two cereals! And I didn't bother with a cooked breakfast. I just wanted to leave at this point.
Plus points - free parking, comfy bed, clean sheets, and a large room.
I hope the building work is upgrading these rooms to suit the price.

Date of stay: November 2016
Reviewed 16 September 2016

We were shown our room on the top floor which was very difficult to access, up winding narrow stairs. The staircarpet was worn out and threadbare. The bedroom carpet was old and stained. We should have moved on but it was getting a bit late to find elsewhere. The shaving point didn't work either. Rooms were artexed and really ready for a refurbishment. However the bathroom was really clean with plenty of hot water. The bed was creaky but bed linen was fine. We had a really good full English breakfast but were on our own so no atmosphere. Staff friendly enough and we learned the place was ancient (1700's) so should expect it to be well worn but it smelled damp and really needs some attention.

Date of stay: September 2016
2  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed 30 August 2016

Shocking, dirty and grubby!
The carpet was disgusting, stained so bad I could not walk bare footed. Old fashioned furniture, what can I say it was appalling, dirty and grubby. I am not going to waste any more of my time on this place it was so bad I didn't even stay the second night I had booked for even though I had paid. £150 for 2 nights, what robbery!!

Date of stay: August 2016