Royal Belvedere
Creta Maris Beach Resort(Hersonissos)
US$197
Hostelworld.com
US$319
US$295
  • Breakfast included
Astra Village Apartments(Koutouloufari)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$276
Marni Village(Koutouloufari)(Great Value!)
US$70
Travelocity
All reviewstoastiesolympic poolstar beachsnack barice creamsaladanimation teamfamily roomfamily holidayfoam partykids poolkids clubsized poolgreek nightgreat holidaysteep hillsalt water
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We had read lots of reviews prior to our holiday 18th-25 October 2011 but have learnt from other holidays that you have to make your own mind up and some people are simply very fussy or expect to go abroad and only english people be there!!!! ( all nations have holidays FACT)
The hotel (Royal) belevedere was for us more than expected and our family room was very spacious, we had our 3 children aged 2,7&8 years and they loved everything about the hotel and its choice of 7 swimming pools :O)
The room was very spacious and are cleaned everyday and the cleaners always set out the kids Pj's nicely, the bed are a little on the firm side for my wife but fine for the rest of us. The t.v has sky news which was good to watch for updates back home etc but didn't go away to watch telly so wasn't to bothered that it was the only english channel. ALL the staff were very,very polite throughout the complex so please ignore previous comments although this may reflect end of season and may only of been around around 300 guests appose to 2300 peak season and lots of impatient holiday people... ... Even though there was less guests all pools and restaurants were available including the Imperial facilities which was on the same good standards as our own restaurant. The food varried every day with good breakfast selection for all nationalities but we prefer the continental styles so suited us down to a T. The only negative with B-fast time was the toaster lol it was like a merrygo round as the heat was not high enough and had to put through 3 times to make nice toast but for me this was very minor point. Plenty of fresh juices at all meal times with local beer and wines too.

The only negative with the drinks was they were in small plastic cups so we just ordered 2 at a time which again was ok (not eco friendly but obviously safer around pools etc) In the evening i took a pint size plastic cup with me from a coffee shop trip off site and they were fine filling that for me and had a joke about it too as i had the biggest cup (top tip get a pint cup) we also used the self service for our babys milk and jucie cup with no hassel at all. We saved a empty water bottle and used it daily to top up at breakfast for babies bottles which saved us a small fortune buying milk, same with jucies we kept bottles and took juices to our room and left in fridge for kids at night time etc and filled daily.

The all inclusive deal was A***** for us and our 3 children, drinks both still and fizzy on help yourself for the kids, coffee,wine,beer and spirits (local brew) for adults and hot food from 10am-1800 pool side including chips,toasties,pizza,popcorn and many flavours of Ice cream all day every day at all the pool side bars.

The pools were very clean and everthing you could ask for to keep kids occupied the only negative with the pools was the water was freezing cold but didn't stop my 3 kids as they were on holiday and simply wanted fun and certainly got it.

With regards to the steep hill..... there is 1 but there is also a mini bus provided 3 times to star beach and 4 times for returning from star beach (timings at reception). Other than that we walk through the complex down the various step avoiding the hill and coming out neaer to the bottom. When we say hill the time it takes to walk from main reception to the bottom is around 5-6 mins with 3 kids alittle shorter when you walk through the complex via pool side steps. The good thing for our kids was they loved the Donkeys,goats and birds enroute and never really complained when we walked outside the mini bus times.

Other than the great facilities onsite the only other places we went to were the local harbour which is about 45mins to an hour walking with 3 kids with odd stop in shops and worth the views once there,Lots of shops and taverners enroute and cheaper to buy than at hotel shops in complex.

STAR BEACH was the wow factor for us all with numerous facilities and free entrance in total a 15 min walk maximum shorter if no children and only 4 mins on the bus which we used 3 times during our stay. Identical kids set up but on a much bigger scale and thats free all day everyday, water slides are 8 euros but worth every penny from 11.00-17.00 at the time of season we went probably longer peak season. The slides are awesome A**** and a definate must,must,must even daddy had a day pass and was the highlight of my holidays when it came to the fun and family time factor. The age limit is 5 years upwards for insurance purposes so under 5's allowed. We got loungers by the bottom of kamakazie slide and used beach too with no charge. The beach was also fab but could imagine manic peak season with a charge of 3 euros per lounger 2 euros for parasol witch we paid for once but due to end of season the rest of the time we went it was free. The loungers by the water park slides are all free just on the beach but it was a one off payment and you could sit anywere along the beach or simply put your towel down for free. Lots of other water sports on offer with varrying prices including banana boats and jet ski's.
Many other shops and beach bars including fish therapy spa shop and arcades etc,

All in all a fab holiday and would highly reccommend to any family looking for a relaxing and funfilled holiday.

A big thank you to all the staff and Manos the barman at night your the best and my kids loved your cocktails

Room Tip: Try and book family room as it has lots of space with 3 single beds in one part of the room and a very thin partition to the master room with double bed again lots of space which leads out to your balcony via double doors and this area is very safe with brick wall so good for childrens safety. Use empty bottles for drinks in room at night for kids and milk etc.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
23  Thank Danny-aruna
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We recently had an 11 night stay at this hotel, we arrived around midnight on our first night (23/9/2011) but found the guy at reception to be rude and arrogant, especially to women. On another occasion the same guy was on reception when we asked about our pre-ordered early breakfast, he found it extremely difficult to tear himself away from his computer, all he had to do was call the porter to open up the restaurant for us.

However, all other staff, that's kitchen, waiting, reception, porters and cleaners were extremely helpful and friendly.

The food was fairly non-greek, more european but I guess they have to cater for the non-adventurous diners (chicken, fish, pasta, soup, salads etc.) but all was well cooked and kept hot. Plenty of choices for dessert including fresh fruits.

There are a total of 5 swimming pools, one olympic size. The pools were fairly crowded despite end of season but as we spent most of our time on excursions or exploring the villages and town so this wasn't a problem for us.

The entertainment team were hard-working (they were also looking after kids all day) with a good attempt at some comedy.

We were all-inclusive plus, so if you want cocktails included then this is the one to go for.

There is also a mini-mart which is open until midnight on site and a supermarket (I think that's the cretan word for shop) at the bottom of the hill (5 mins walk).

One excursion we would recommend is the jeep safari which is an excellent off road experience into the mountains.

Unless you are quite fit and used to hiking (and have taken your walking boots) then Samaria gorge may be a bit of a challenge (18k) we did it in 6 hours and we are used to it, most of the walking is across rocks/stones and can be pretty tough going however the scenery is really wonderful.

Room Tip: We were lucky to get a family room (only 2 of us), extra large balcony with a sea-view on the first floor, as the hotel is on the hillside you get a good view. This was north facing so sun in the morning and the room doesn't get the sun in the afternoon which is a good thing as there are glass french doors.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank SidSewell
Reviewed 5 October 2011

This is not a reflection on the hotel. The hotel is great. However I felt I need to share this with you. On October 1st 2011 I went down the a kiosk next door to the poolside shop to enquire about a boat trip, but unusually it was closed. I decided to ask the shopkeeper in the shop next door if he knew what time the kiosk opened. I entered the shop and the shopkeeper looked me up and down like I was dog muck on his show. I asked 'Sorry Have you just cleaned the floor?' To which he yelled at me angrily 'No you are the first lady in the shop, you have no money and are not going to buy anything. First day of the month, first customer does not by anything, this is bad luck all month'. I duly apologised and backed out. He shouted at me. 'At least buy something!!!' I dont know what the silly man expected me to buy something with, as he could plainly see I had no bag and no money (Hence his tirade in the first place). My husband who was waiting by the kiosk and came forward at the commotion had no money either. I must point out this was not a little spat but an all out tirade verging on abuse. I do not know what other superstitions this chap has, that you may inadvertantly tread on his toes but beware when you enter his shop in case you do something to get similar treatment.
Also I did not get any feedback from the hotel management after I had complained, which was quite disappointing.
Resort, hotel, food and cleanliness all fine. (only complaint is beds are too hard but I have arthritis) You cannot go wrong if you have a holiday here. Just watch you dont upset the poolside shop keeper or you will soon know about it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
17  Thank Felicity56
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We have just come back from a week here and had a lovely time.
.The food was excellent even for our 6 year old son,The rooms were basic but spotless,The entertainment was fabulous.The animation team work so hard. ...Yes the majority were Germans but they were all polite enough.It was lovely and the staff are great.And in a beautiful location...We didnt want to come home....
Those that had written bad reviews...Are you sure you stayed in the same place?

Room Tip: Book a family room with a sea view...Its worth the extra money
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank 190cat
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Just returned from a week at the Royal Belvedere, we had read the reviews but as always went with an open mind.

Travelled with a 3 year old and we were overall impressed with this hotel.

The restaurant had fab views over the hotel grounds and out to the sea, not mentioned in any reviews we had previously read, but worth a mention. The food was good, plenty of choice, it was busy in the restaurant, however we did eat early due to having a toddler with us.

The ground were very neat and tidy and hotel communial areas were also spotless. We had a family room and requested a sea view and a lower level room which is exactly what we got. The rooms were cleaned daily and bedding changed every other day - again no complaints.

The evening entertainment was provided by the hotel, rather than our operator, Thomas Cook, we really enjoyed the shows and our son really enjoyed the mini disco. Yes, the shows were not professional, it was aferall the reps producing and taking part in them, however we really enjoyed them.

We had a great weeks holiday, the hotels guests were a mix of English, German, Russian and Belguim familiies which to us is part of being aboard.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family