We were a party of mother and daughter and arrived back 3 days ago. Aldemar Cretan Village is a large complex built on a side of a hill with lots of steps/slopes. For a 4* holiday I think that a safe should have been standard. Although we never had any qualms about security I am not sure our insurance company would have been sympathetic that our valuable belongings were not in a safe. There is a small fridge. Our room would be described as rustic with low wattage lights and in need of an update (Room 611). The shower was good. The complex encourages you to put all paper waste in a bin by the side of the loo which is emptied every day. The rooms were cleaned every day. There is an army of people keeping the complex clean and tidy. All the staff were friendly and helpful.
Our room was near the beach and children's pool so it was surrounded by families with young children. The beach has a little shale type sand suitable for young children to paddle but for swimmers there is a need to overcome the many rocks to see the many fish. Beach shoes would be an idea.
The animation team were great and went around trying to encourage people to take part in various games. Enjoyed the get together of the team for their Settimari Club routine. Looked at it on utube but Cretan Village's routine was the best. Uk visitors probably made up about 1% with people from mostly Russia and Germany. Everyone was kind and good mannered. The food was ok if you weren't fussy with a roast every night but got a bit the same after a week. Always pasta, chips and rice available. The desserts were lots of Es and all flavourless mousses. The battered deep fried food was always very pale in colour. Not sure about deep fried broccoli. It was interesting to see what food people from other countries liked. Cake for breakfast!
There are 6 pools. I liked that there were smaller pools dotted around rather than one huge pool for the whole of the complex. The pool nearest the evening bar was the coldest and the one that water polo was played with not many young children around. The children's pool was warmer and the sea very warm. There was a day when there was big waves and the red flag was up. We never found any problem getting a sun bed. There are pool bars were coffee, beer, E slush, and wine available. The coffee was really great. the best I have ever tasted abroad.
We enjoyed sitting out on the veranda by the bar in the evening and the bar staff worked quickly serving drinks. Special mention to Christine (?) who always smiled and even remembered my favourite drink request. It wouldn't hurt if visitors could remember to say please and thankyou - in Greek would be even better. Would be an idea if smokers had a special area in the bar.
We did use the little train to go to Hersonissos. As mentioned by other reviewers a taxi would have been more comfortable and cheaper. We also got a local bus from outside the complex. Air Con and coach seats.
We had a late check out but found that there was no need to pay 50 euros to keep our room. There are showers in the loos in the main entrance and shower gel and towels available.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At this small traditional village overlooking the sea, the two-story buildings are decorated in bright colors and surrounded by flowers in bloom. Cretan Village offers a holiday full of activities and new experiences. All our restaurants offer Mediterranean dishes and authentic local cuisine. Youngsters can embark on voyages of endless fun on board the pirate ship in our children's play area. Embrace our spontaneous Cretan hospitality and enjoy a carefree vacation with your beloved ones. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aldemar Cretan Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aldemar Cretan Village Hotel Chersonisos
- Aldemar Cretan Village Hersonissos
- Aldemar Cretan Village Crete, Greece