“Lovely, Quiet, Beautiful view.”

and 1 more site!
The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 October 2010

I recently stayed at this lodge while in northeast Ohio for business and pleasure- drove to east Cleveland for business one day. There was a lot going on here- a wedding, what looked like a reunion or two. Despite this, it was very quiet, clean, and the staff was continually pleasant and helpful. My room was large (two double beds and a fold out couch) and roomy, the paved bicycle/walking trail along Lake Erie and through the park was well maintained. Bicycle rental was very reasonable ($%/hr including helmet). There is a Village and town close by that I really didn't investigate as I spent my spare time walking along the lake. I ate several times at the 'Horizons' restaurant. There could have been more vegetarian choice, but everything I tried was very good. Ohio's wine country is here and there was a selection of local wines. I would stay here again if going to the Cleveland/Erie area and put up with the drive in to town. Even the drive was not that bad. I expected rush hour traffic as I drove in and out of Cleveland at these times and was pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed 14 September 2010

I made reservations at this lodge based on Trip Advisor reviews and my daughter-in-law telling me it looked like a place we might enjoy(she saw it while staying at a private condo) We stayed for 2 nights and had a patio room with a lake view. The staff was extremely professional and tried very hard to answer every need we had. The room was spacious and clean. We even took the spreads off and examined the beds for bedbugs prior to bringing in our luggage. The beds were completely bug-free. We never made it to the restaurant so I can't comment on that. I will be returning!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank christy1463
Reviewed 20 August 2010

This hotel was clean and the staff was nice. The hotel offeres a wine shuttle which is nice, we did not take part in the shuttle but if we were travelling to several wineries it would have been a nice addition to our trip. The room was clean and had a nice view of the lake. There are trails that are both paved and primitive but it is a nice bike ride or walk through the park. They offer pet friendly accomodations which is a bonus if you are travelling with your pet. Book early though, we took a last minute trip and could not book two nights together here we divided our trip between here and another B&B down the road. I was lucky to get one night booked here. We took advantage of the Bed and Breakfast special and I have to admit I was disappointed the breakfast buffet was cold, the food tasted old, the pasteries were stale and dry and we only showed up maybe an hour after they started serving. My husband said the juice was watery, and the restaurant was riddled with flies. In contrast the bar tender was very knowledgeable about the local wines that they served and friendly. The appetizers that we ordered in the bar were very good. I had higher expectations for breakfast based on our experience the night before in the bar. So I would not recommend the bed and breakfast package, it is possible that the buffet is just not up to par, and that ordering directly off the menu produced something more edible from the kitchen, but we were not impressed at all with the meal.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zmom101
TheLodgeAtGeneva, Public Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2011

Zmom101-

Thank you for your great comments about The Lodge and our weekend wine shuttle to local wineries. Sorry to hear we did not have room availability on all the dates you were looking to stay! Wish we could have served you for your entire stay in our area.

As for the breakfast buffet- we are taking many steps to improve our breakfast offerings to our guests. We have met with managers and staff to give special attention & training on buffet service and replenishing items, we have also worked with our culinary team to improve the quality of food provided and we are renovating Horizons Restaurant (to be completed by Spring) with a new & exciting look that will include a permanent buffet area for a more friendly atmosphere and allow for even better service.

We are also excited to announce the coming of a new Executive Chef this month, so we look forward to his great ideas and innovative cooking style!

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again to give you the dining experience you have come to expect from The Lodge.

At your service,
Guest Services

Reviewed 13 August 2010

I had made a reservation online and also had a confirmation number. When we arrived they could not find our reservation. This was very upsetting since this was the reason we came was to stay at this hotel. They told us they had no room available They paid for us to stay at a bed and breakfast. And gave us a coupon for a future nights stay. Also told us we could use the pool.

I still cant understand how this mix-up occurred. But I would recommend that anyone that makes a reservation call every day for a week upon your arrival to be sure they have it. Not that it did any good because I had called the morning of my arrival to double check and they told me yes my reservation was there and then we arrived and they told me they did not have it.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank lisam8466

Hello-

Thank you for your comments about The Lodge at Geneva. As you may know, we were in the process of switching to a new online booking system and I am so sorry to hear that you had to experience this at all.

During summer when we are often times sold out, there is no room for error- not even the technical kind- and certainly no excuse to rectify not having your reservation when you arrived.

We hope that the room we rented at the nearby B&B for you, the taxi service, the return stay here at The Lodge and use of the pool while you stayed at Geneva-on-the-Lake as well as our staff's dedication to try to make things right with you somewhat alleviated your disappointment with our inability to meet your expectations upon arrival.

Again, we apologize for your experience and hope your return stay is much more up to par with the high level of guest satisfaction we strive for every day.

At your service,
The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake

Reviewed 13 August 2010

I was not pleased with my stay at this lodge. I’d had a good experience visiting Geneva, OH, during my trips from the Mid-West to New England, so my expecattions were high. Our room was basically two beds with an old television and no chairs, except one at a desk. However, it was recently remodeled. But, it was 200 bucks a night and billed to my debt card, before I arrived (a reservation requirement for the first night). The staff were not friendly. If you stayed at another time of the year, when the cost was not so high that the unfriendly and abrupt nature of the staff combined with the medore room, the poor quality of this Lodge would not be so bothersome. Not worth wrecking trees to build, for sure.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank honesty040
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
12.2 km away
0.6 km away
The Lakehouse Inn
The Lakehouse Inn
#1 of 3 in Geneva on the Lake

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!