“On second thought...”

and 1 more site!
The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 August 2012

First off, let me state that I DID NOT stay at The Lodge.

I made reservations well in advance for a long weekend vacation for our anniversary. We travel I-90 often, and saw the signs for Geneva-on-the-Lake. I thought it would be a nice surprise for my girlfriend to book a couple nights, especially since there was a dinner theater happening at The Landing that sounded fun. I couldn't find any hotels that seemed "special enough" until I came across The Lodge. It was extremely pricey for October on Lake Erie, but I figured I'd bite the bullet and surprise her with an extravagant stay.

Then I ran across the reviews on TripAdvisor that said the rooms weren't anything special, and that the service was subpar. I got nervous, because I wanted the weekend to special. I decided to email The Lodge for some assurances that problems were being addressed.

I got a relatively quick response from "Eva", the Front Desk Supervisor. Unfortunately, it wasn't really a response. Eva had intended to forward my email on the Daisy Hall (who is responding to bad reviews on here quite often recently) and simply replied to me instead. I emailed Eva back and told her about the mistake she had made. Unfortunately, that was the last time I heard from The Lodge, so 2 days later I canceled my reservation.

At the prices The Lodge is charging, I expected much more from The Lodge than it appears they are able to offer.

We're going to Baltimore instead and staying in the inner harbor at a Hilton Garden Inn. The package includes admission to the science center, the National Aquarium, the Top of the World Observation Level, Sports Legends at Camden Yards and American Visionary Arts Museum.

And I'm still saving $75 over the cost of my cancelled trip to The Lodge.

3  Thank Parksy52
Daisy H, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Parksy52-

Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.

I am disheartened that you canceled your two night stay at The Lodge without ever even visiting the property to see who we truly are and what we have to offer. I am also sorry that the response I sent to you on August 30th did not reach you in time and was not considered acceptable customer service.

We work hard every day to meet guests’ expectations and strive to provide the best customer service possible- though it is inevitable that we are not perfect and in some instances have fallen short of our goals. We have also been adding and improving amenities, rooms and furnishing year after year based on customer response and an endeavor to continually improve for our guests’ benefit.

A mishap response from one person at the front desk certainty does not represent our customer service as a whole. My response to you just two days after you sent your initial inquiry, prior to you canceling your room, explained this and offered to make your stay more enjoyable with a complimentary upgrade to one of our best two room suites for the miscommunication on our part.

You are correct, I do reply to many guest comments. It is important to us as a global hospitality company to create lasting relationships with our guests so they can be certain that we are a company they can trust when looking for a getaway, event or vacation destination.

If a guest has had a less than perfect experience, we want to ensure that whatever the case- that experience never happens again and that all guests are left with a satisfied feeling that we did everything in our power to exceed their expectations. I am sorry we did not get that opportunity with you.

Sincerely yours,
~Daisy Hall

Write a ReviewReviews (1,414)

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed at the Lodge for a class reunion. The weekend was wonderful. We had hospitality rooms on Friday and Saturday just outside the pool area. Everyone brought lawn chairs to catch up with classmates. Our room was on third floor with a great view of pool/lake. The room was large with king size bed and seating area. We were pleased to have a refrigerator also. It was a very nice accommodation for the weekend.

Took advantage of our free time and walked by the lake/marina. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. Everyone we met were extremely nice. We had the breakfast buffet on Saturday morning. It was delicious. Staff in restaurant were very friendly and accommodating. On Saturday evening we had a catered dinner in one of the banquet rooms. Food was good, again staff very good.

We are from Ohio but this area was new to us. While the "strip" is what it is, we felt there were a lot of families and everyone was pleasant. The wineries were very interesting. We enjoyed several of them. This is a great place for a get-a-way trip. We would return.

Room Tip: We received a little discount for booking with a larger block of rooms. Felt the rate was a little...
Reviewed 21 August 2012

My husband and 2 small children recently stayed for 3 nights at The Lodge. We opted for the lake view room and were glad that we did. We were on the bottom floor so had a walk-out patio with a couple of chairs and a small table. We enjoyed sitting outside and watching the lake. Our kids had a nice grassy area to play in plus the gazebo. To the left you can see the restaurant with outdoor seating but not at all noisy. There were benches all along the walking path by the lake. Again, very nice to sit on the benches to watch the lake. Also, there are beautiful sunsets!

All employees were very nice, our room was clean. It was a nice surprise that our room had a Keurig coffee maker. If I'd have known, I would have brought extra coffee from home but there was also complementary coffee each morning by the restaurant.

The Horizons restaurant was average. We thought it was a bit pricey for the quality of food received. We only dined there once.

The gift shop sells local Ohio wines, wine glasses and other accessories. I would definitely recommend trying the wines and visiting the wineries.

If you are traveling with children, The Lodge has an indoor pool that starts at 2 ft so its great for small children. There is also an outdoor pool (I think starts at 3 ft.), a splash pad and 2 hot tubs. There is also a nice playground area. The "strip" is within walking distance and has several mini-golf courses, arcades, water slides, restaurants, etc.

Overall, my family had a great time! Our only concern was the price of the food in all of the restaurants that we went to. We brought snacks with us and had a refrigerator in our room so that did save a little on the food costs.

I hope this review will be helpful.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank OSU_MOM_OF_2
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The staff was friendly enough at check-in, but don't try before 3 PM. Weddings in the hotel, and bachelorette party across from our room. If you are a light sleeper, if you are near the elevators don't plan on sleeping before Midnight. The music from the bar sounds like it is just outside your door. Front desk mans the gift shop so if they are busy don't be in a hurry. For the price, the room is average, the TV is terrible. The shower had hair in it too. Nice walking trails along the lake, other than that I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try for lake view
1  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed at this lodge during December for our wedding anniversary. We booked the sweetheart package that included a bottle of wine and breakfast. The breakfast vouchers included gratuity. It seemed as if the breakfast staff felt they did not need to earn the gratuity because they were rude and not very accommodating.
We were sat at a table that did not have silverware, were never offered silverware, had to take it from another table. I drank coffee but only got one cup because once we ordered the buffet our server never came back.
I sent an email in regards to this but never received anything in return. In the hospitality industry customer service should be your number one priority not just another voucher. I work in management in this industry and would have probably left additional gratuity for good service. I however, do not reward poor service.

On a good note the person working the front desk was great. She was friendly and helpful.

Other than that I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank captfred412
Dasiy_TheOneAndOnly, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Captfred412-
Thank you for choosing The Lodge for your anniversary stay last December! I am happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and the Sweetheart package as well as our front desk service. Though it is disheartening to hear that your service in the restaurant was not as stellar as your front desk service.

We do appreciate all of our guests in the restaurant weather they arrive with package vouchers or as leisure guests or have just stopped in for a meal. Each and every guest is just as important as the next. Though it has been some time since your visit, I have shared your comments with our executive team so we can ensure that all guests are receiving proper service all year long; voucher or no voucher!

Seeing as it’s been more than 6 months since your stay let me share what has changed! We do have a new Chef with great new menu items, a focus on local produce, healthy options and even calorie listings on the menu! We also have a great staff willing to go above and beyond to serve our guests and a great manager who has worked her way up from the kitchen to serving to management and can fully understand each aspect of the jobs in the restaurant.

We hope you will visit again to experience all f the improvements we have made and look forward to sharing your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
12.2 km away
The Lakehouse Inn
#1 of 3 in Geneva on the Lake
12 km away
Holiday Inn Express Ashtabula-Geneva

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!