“Worth the drive for a fresh menu in a small town”

Door 142 Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 16 March 2017

Door 142 is not your typical restaurant. They mix casual dining with a more sophisticated menu than you would expect in Fredericktown. Menu is freshened from time to time and the desserts here even more frequently and certainly worth a look before you order your main course. Locally grown or raised items in several cases. Options for the kids are somewhat limited here, but it is a family friendly place. Come in casual, or dressed ready to go out, everyone is welcome here. I've had seafood, steaks, and their massive burgers here (be ready to take some home). Always a great meal, and portion matches the price well. Pricing is similar to a chain of either (TGI Fridays/Applebees, etc) except you're going local, not paying corporate, and getting i think better options.

Intimate lighting gives this place a nice feel. The owner has reused several pieces from the old building in her decor for 142 which gives it an interesting feel. Modern with a touch of history.

Live entertainment from time to time in the front bay window with local performers make this a nice spot to pull up a seat and stay for awhile. The bar a decent size with a variety on draft and bottled, again, not just going to be your typical ABC beer here. Full bar and great bartenders.

Parking can be an issue from time to time when the downtown is busier, but there is off street parking behind the bank and around the corner that can be used. Worth the wait, if there is one. Its not extremely large, but there is sufficient seating.

Date of visit: February 2017
Write a reviewReviews (56)

Reviewed 16 February 2017

Another trip through Fredericktown and another wonderful surprise. Seems this town is demanding our attention. The logging trucks and farm equipment still rumble through, but we couldn't find a parking place on Main St. at lunch time.
With three new restaurants, it's no wonder.
I am putting Door 142 at the top of my list.
I've been to trendy neighborhood restaurants all over the country.
This pub could be a rival anywhere.
The building was hotel---a hundred years ago---with a dozen uses since.
The new owners stripped the first floor back to the sturdy brick walls, refinished beautiful floors, added a lovely bar, and a seating area of comfortable tables and chairs.
The drinks menu is more than basic with local brews on tap and bottled, as well as martinis.
The food menu is a page of quality upscale pub food with ingredients from many local suppliers. Chicken sandwich with a hot, sweet sauce that sparkled. French Dip on the freshest baguette. Meatloaf so thick it was like steak. And more.
Prices are more than fair. It was a wonderful long lunch in a comfortable setting.
We're coming back for a night of music later.
Decor is noteworthy.
The doors from the old hotel upstairs are mounted as artwork. Refinished with hardware and number plates intact, "1". "4", and "2" across the back wall---the address is 142 Main.
A collection of pass-through milk doors, refinished and framed, on another.
A huge foyer bench by the front door with locally printed pillows stacked on it.
And the bathrooms are worth a return trip. Refinished wood, bright white fixtures, artwork. Best powder room I've seen in many, many years.
Just perfect.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 8 December 2016

My wife and I went here for the first time on a Tuesday night, as they are closed on Sundays and Mondays. There were only eight people in the place; two at the bar and a party of six dining. When entering, we were stared at by the diners, and were subjected to their stares all the while we were there. It was a typical small town experience, as we have endured this type of crap from people before. (we are ordinary folks, not tattooed, pierced, weird hair, weird clothing, or other). Granted, this is not the fault of the establishment, nor the owners, but we were glad we lived locally and did not drive a long distance for this place, as the overall experience was humdrum.

The food was ordered quickly, and served fast and to our liking. I had broiled sirloin with mushroom, my wife had the salad. Prices were average to a bit high, but we expected that from talking to people who had eaten there.

I would say that we will probably not go back because we just were not "wowed" by the experience, and were put off by the local yokels with their non-stop staring. There is also nothing else to do at all in town, so Typical Fredericktown experience. This is why I say not worth driving a far distance to get to. It is nice to see someone try to better the community by investing in a sit-down restaurant, but I think this place is slightly over priced for the overall experience. (not for the food, which is good)

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 21 October 2016 via mobile

The service is very poor. They don't greet you at the door and you might stand in the entry for quite some time. The food is average and over priced.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 21 October 2016

My wife and I eat there at least once a week is very good pricing is good it is very family friendly

Date of visit: September 2016