“Wonderful authentic Mexican cuisine dining experience!”
Review of Villa y Zapata

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Reviewed 26 April 2016

Excellent restaurant! Some time ago I lived in the Cleveland area for a few years, and while there had the good fortune to become familiar with Villa Y Zapata on the west side. Now living in another state, on my infrequent visits to Cleveland I often try to return to Villa Y Zapata for lunch or dinner. I find that it has consistently offered the best authentic Mexican dining experience in Cleveland or anywhere else! The food with its high quality and ample portions is the primary draw. A wide range of selections are available from a variety of styles, each with its own merit. The enchilada and flauta dishes are particular favorites of mine! Be prepared to take leftovers home. Service is low key, yet friendly and accommodating while being attentive but not overbearing. The current facility is neat and clean and comfortable, quite appropriate for the nature of the business; very colorful, too. There should be no problem finding it at the corner of Madison and West 85th Street! Adequate secure private lot parking is available behind the restaurant, with driveway entry off West 85th. I look forward to future dining opportunities at Villa Y Zapata!

Reviewed 10 March 2016 via mobile

If you like Chili Rellenos . . . and you are anywhere near this restaurant . . . by all means do go!!! I used to live in nearby Lakewood, and would come to Zapatas every week just for this, their magnificent signature dish. I now live in Atlanta and have traveled the nation--including Texas, Arizona and Southern California--often trying what, for me, is the "standard" by which all Mexican restaurants are measured. I tell you the truth, there are none better than here, of all places, on the North Coast.

1  Thank JA M
Reviewed 5 February 2015 via mobile

We have eaten at this restaurant periodically for decades, but not recently. We do eat Mexican often. Pleasantly surprised tonight at very flavorful food. Starting with the chips & very fresh tasting salsa. Margaritas were ordinary (mix), but matched with low price, $5. Our favorite was the soup, which was hot and delicious--appropriately spicy with lots of chicken and fresh tomatoes and avocado. Chili rellenos, delicious with fresh peppers and lots of cheese. Shredded beef in the tacos had wonderful flavor.
Parking off 85th St in a lot is very safe, and there is a back door entrance directly from the parking lot. We live in the area; it's safe; just be alert as in any city neighborhood.

Reviewed 15 January 2015

I thought this place might be comparable to the great Mexican restaurants I visited in Arizona last year.
Wow, was I ever disappointed.
Pros:
1) The salsa is really great.
2) The chili con queso is really good.
3) Restaurant is kept clean and has a neat "small diner" cozy feel to it.

Cons:
1) The chicken burrito was very bland with no seasoning.
2) The beef burrito, also very bland, tasted like regular roast beef. (Arby's is better.)
3) The wet burrito is just that, wet, with very little flavor.
4) The chili con carne seemed like nothing but chunks of roast beef, wading in a nameless sauce.
5) You only get 1 free refill on your soft drink, then they want more pesos!
6) You only get 1 free refill on your chips and salsa, then they want more pesos!
7) Pricey $11-$13 entrees and you severely limit my intake of chips, salsa, and soft drinks!?
My conclusion: It is not bad food, just mainly without seasoning of any type, and just kind of blah.
I don't intend to return.
I will welcome Arizona restaurants when I return for a brief visit this year.

1  Thank Tim S
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Villa what? I've lived twelve miles from this wonderful spot for a very long time, but had never heard of it.

I asked the kids next door to dinner and invited them to say where.They suggested Villa Y Zapata explaining that they had been going there since they were kids courting at Lakewood (Ohio) High.

"Food and Wine" still hasn't called to solicit my opinions about restaurants in general, or this one in particular, by the way, so my credentials as a restaurant critic might be a tad thin.

I wish they would. This is a fine spot run by nice people who make great stuff to eat.The dear girl next door made a wonderful menu suggestion. I don't know much about Mexican food, hell, I don't know much about American food, but what she picked was just damned great. This is, I think the best Mexican restaurant I've ever eaten in. Wonderful food? My God, what a concept! You could build a restaurant around it.

There isn't any pretension here that I could see. I'd bet the don't offer the cork to smell when they bring the wine. The other folks seemed familiar, neighbors, perhaps. It's an industrial neighborhood, but hell, this is Cleveland. Our whole town is an industrial neighborhood.

You may need a flashlight and a cop to find it, but I do hope you'll agree that it's worth it. If you're a visitor, or a roadcat staying in a west side hotel, crank up the GPS and set sail.