“Old World Polish Tastes”

Sokolowski's University Inn
Ranked #14 of 2,000 Restaurants in Cleveland
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, German, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Classic old world polish favorites. Stopped in for a quick lunch run through their cafeteria-style line. Clearly a local favorite, and based on my sampling it is certainly justified - incredible stuffed cabbage, pierogis and sauerkraut. Excellent!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Such good home cooking. So many delicious things to choose from. Set up cafeteria style, but the food is nothing but. Do yourself a favor and go to Sokolowski’s. The hours are limited so make sure it is open before you make the trip

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Yum. Cozy restaurant with cafeteria style serving. Plenty of comfort food to choose from but don’t leave without trying the pierogis in golden butter sauce with onions and a side of sauerkraut. A serving of six pierogis was just the right amount. Many of the dishes come with a side or two of your choosing and a salad. I didn’t get to try them but the cabbage rolls were huge and looked delicious. My son had the heaping bowl of stroganoff and heartily approves. In fact, of the several Cleveland establishments we dined in, this was his favorite. Many fresh pies and cakes to choose from. I barely had room by the time I got to my dessert. The staff were very friendly and made us feel welcome and at home. We got there at 5pm on a Friday and the line was already forming. But we didn’t have to wait long.

Reviewed 27 October 2018

We were visiting Cleveland on our trip to Michigan and Ontario. My wife and I went here for dinner after hearing about it on EWTN. Took a bit to find it as I had the wrong address. We got there about 5 minutes after opening, and the lines already were long. Please note that you must climb steps to get to the food service area.. Everything is at a cafeteria style counter where you load a tray with items you select from the line. Everything is pre-made. My wife had to use a walker to try to get around, which was hard given the narrowness of the serving area. Once we got to the end someone took her tray over to a table, which helped. She had the golumbki plate, which included mashed potatoes, pierogi, and noodles. I had the smoked sausage plate with pierogis and noodles. This had to be the largest golumbki I have ever seen. We split it and the kielbasa so we could sample each. Salads are at a table just around the corner of the serving line, and there is a bar at the entrance, where I Ordered two Okocim beers. The food was terrific, very much like my wife's mother made. There was more than enough to eat, and If we lived near there (instead of just visiting) probably would have called for doggie bags. If you like authentic Polish food, stop in, but check on their hours first. They serve dinner only on Friday and Saturday evenings, and appear to be busy all the time.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 23 October 2018

Food and service were both great. Cafeteria style. All delicious polish food, very authentic and worth a visit.

Date of visit: March 2018