“The play RadioGolf is a Hole in One!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of PlayhouseSquare

PlayhouseSquare
Ranked #14 of 175 things to do in Cleveland
More attraction details
Owner description: Playhouse Square Center is the nation's largest performing arts complex outside of New York City. Located in the heart of Cleveland's Theater District, Playhouse Square serves as host to over 1.1 million guests annually and offers the best of Broadway, dance, concerts, family shows, comedians, plays and more.
Valley City, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The play RadioGolf is a Hole in One!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I went to the Cleveland Playhouse at the Allen Theatre this weekend to see the play entitled "RadioGolf" by August Wilson. It was a "super" performance. Would recommend it to everyone. Caution, it is a long play with each of the 2 acts over an hour in length.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank JBP625

• Hebrew first
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Broadway in Cleveland!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

If you can't get to Broadway, this is the next best thing to being there! Wonderfun renovated theatres, shopping & dining, along with the best entertainment in town.

Cleveland, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

Taking in a play or any performance at Playhouse Square is always a wonderful experience The atmosphere in these historically renovated theaters makes for a great, magical get away! Almost all of the touring company productions are of Broadway caliber and the theater are so much nicer. The attached parking garage is great in winter and the staff is so friendly and helpful. I cannot recommend a night at Playhouse more highly!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank bizwiz924
Green, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A brightspot in Cleveland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

My family and I visit Playhouse Square about 4 times a year for comedians, plays and musicals. I am very happy with having this facility in our area. Yes the seats are small (because of being a renovated facility) and sometimes my behind gets sore from sitting too long on the seat. There is not much one can do with the space around the seat without major renovations. Beautiful architecture and I applaud that Playhouse continually is adding to the group of theaters and upgrading the access ways.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank jedischultz
Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Absolutely disgusting!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2010

Don't go to Playhouse Square with the intention of being treated with dignity or respect. In our experience they do not seem to posses the capacity to do so.

My wife and I took our 2 year old daughter to see a Sesame Street Live performance...and WE WILL NEVER AGAIN RETURN!

When we first arrived there was very little to direct us where to go; and although there were a multitude of ushers in red jackets, getting help was simply frustrating. The ushers were all quite elderly and many of them seemed to not know much about what they were doing. Every time we asked a question they would just scurry off to ask someone else or just stand there like a deer in the headlights. What was worse was that many of the ushers thought that they could grab at our daughter and kept trying to touch her. Yes our daughter is cute and adorable...Stop poking at her!

We walked back toward the theater entrance and were scolded and directed back to the front of the building where we were locked out. We were told that we would have to wait in the foyer until the next show started. It was then that we realized was that our tickets were for the next day. We exchanged them for seats that day and for the next show.

Unfortunately the woman at the customer service window gave us someone else's seats and we were told to move after getting settled in for the show. We were then assigned new seats and got settled in again. The show started and half way into the first act we found ourselves being yelled at that we had to move. Once again we discovered that the theater had assigned us to someone else's seats and the late arrivals decided that we should have to move again.

The usher was not at all nice to us and was yelling at us and trying to rush us; and the people who arrived late were nothing less than rude and obnoxious. We settled once again into different seats (while the show was going on) and found that there were many, many seats behind us and next to us that remained empty. Why didn't they seat the late arrivals in the already empty seats? Why did they cause a big scene with us when it was their mistake? Twice and during the performance!! This not only ruined the show for us, but disturbed those around us who by then were all glaring angrily at us and we had done nothing wrong.

We ended up having to leave the show at the first intermission because of all the trouble caused by the theater staff and their mindless blunders. We spent close to $90 on tickets to see the show and drove about 100 miles to reach the theater and paid $15 just to park the car. It was a very back experience to say the least. Our two yea old daughter was far more intelligent and mature than the theater staff we had to contend with.

After returning home I sent an email to Playhouse Square and explained to them what had happened. They responded with a form letter to apologize and said that on our next visit that we could have tickets at face value and get a free beverage, which I found to be simply pathetic.

I emailed them back and told them how disappointed we were with their lack of customer care. I told them if that if they had any integrity at all that they would refund us our ticket amounts for being unable to see the show which was absolutely their fault.

I then received an email wanting us to call them to discuss the matter. As far as I am concerned...we just discussed the matter through emails. I realized that they were now trying to redirect us and that the theater had no intention of making things right with us and were only attempting to get us to come back and spend more money after having already failed to make amends for the first time. Why would we put ourselves through that again? Why would we subject ourselves and our young daughter again to being treated with such disregard?

Also-I would like to add that from what we could see that the Sesame Street performance was outstanding and I would highly recommend taking you children to see their shows, but I strongly advise that you do not go to any of their performances at Playhouse Square. The theater ruined what would have been a realy good show,,,and they ruined it for our two year old daughter.

A free pop for our trouble? Yeah that fixes everything...right?

5 Thank Jiltedcustomer