“Strained environment. Not child friendly.”
Review of Antiquteas - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Antiquteas
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We booked for the friday and saturday night dessert bar. While the food is nice, the service was severely lacking. We booked for six people, however due to a misunderstanding the management only reserved a table for five. We were rudely told by the lady serving us that she absolutely, under no circumstances, could not fit in an extra chair. I understand being fully booked, however the way she approached and dismissed us in front of everyone made us feel extremely uncomfortable. We also came with a pram (the baby was asleep), and were immediately made to feel unwelcome. If she had been friendlier, more understanding and polite, I would not be writing this negative review.

As a warning to those of you who aren't familiar with this establishment...i can only say that it is only really catered for couples. It is a very intimate environment, and anything over a whisper would be frowned upon. The food looks good, but I would not expect much from the service.

1  Thank Zoe_HD

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Being an affecionado of High Tea and the Artisan biscuit and confection maker for Delovely Delectables, I was delighted to find an establishment with such perfection, in fact I have never had a High Tea of the standard offered by Antiquteas. After a relaxing drive up to Hahndorf through the beautiful autumn splendour of the Adelaide Hills, we reached our destination. Upon entering we were greeted and seen to our table in a very welcoming manner. After settling into our chairs we were offered a sparkling drink to begin our experience as we perused the descriptive menu of the teas on offer to accompany our food. THE FOOD:Our heart shaped tiered platter arrived with a delicious selection of home baked treats. Everything was so fresh & flavourful, the pastries delicate (the quiches were freshly baked and still warm from the oven). The sandwiches had the best fillings and were so fresh, the chocolate on the chocolate strawberry was of very good quality, the scones were featherlight, the strawberry eclairs were amazing ( the Pattisiere Cream filling was so light) and the raspberry tartlets were mouthwatering with a perfect blend of sweetness and tart berries. The quantities were perfect for a High Tea. THE SERVICE: Service was excellent and I particularly noticed the sensitivity of our hostess in the timing of her attention which was perfect, the wait for our tea and food was not too long and on the other hand, we certainly did not feel rushed. THE SETTING: Antiquteas has a decided French feel and is very elegantly and tastefully decorated. It is also very comfortable, the tables are not crowded together and the seating very comfortable.I also really appreciated the music selections being played which perfectly suited the environment and the occasion as well as creating a lovely ambience in the room. There were several other patrons there at the time I visited but there was none of the noisy cafe environment I have experienced at other venues. We were also served our tea in a beautiful silver pot, the china provided was authentic English Bone China and our drinking glasses were French style footed glasses.THE EXPERIENCE: Firstly it was an EXPERIENCE, a very special one..Secondly I was very impressed that even though our first visit to Antiquteas was in response to a Scoopon, we did not feel that our experience was in any way less than if we had paid full price (an important point having had previous experiences in other establishments where discrimination because of a Scoopon purchase has been very evident) FINALLY: Visiting Antiquteas was like finding a hidden treasure. Establishments of this quality with such attention to detail in every respect are very rare. I have a handful of business cards in my handbag to hand on as recommendations to friends and family and as for myself, well....when can I go again! One thing to take into account, book early especially for weekends as High tea & Dessert Bar at this establshment is getting to be very much in demand and will probably become more so as it becomes better known.

1  Thank Aida S
Reviewed 29 April 2012

When we arrived for our 11am sitting, right on the dot of 11am, the doors were open, but there was no-one to be seen. There was another couple waiting in front of us. We could hear voices in the kitchen and a staff member came in through the front doors, saw us all standing there and simply ignored us! We heard her tell the other staff that there were people waiting, but still no-one came out to greet/seat us. Eventually, someone poked their head around the counter and told us to go and sit down! Definitely not a good start. It would have been nice to have been seated properly. Then, we found that there are no toilets available, so my friend had to leave and find a public toilet to use! The service was strained. The lady serving us was nice enough, but you could tell that she wasn't really interested. Also, they had this young boy - no joke, he was about 9 or 10 (maybe younger?!) serving as well.He was sweet and I appreciate that it's good for young kids to 'learn' in the family business, but it wasn't really suitable here and not in-keeping with type of establishment it is and the high prices customers are paying to be given good food and service. For me, high tea is not just about the tea/food, the service plays a big part of creating the atmosphere - and this place ain't got it! There was just a laminated card on the table, describing the types of tea on offer - it would've been nice to have been talked through them because the cards didn't enlighten us much. They need more staff and the staff need to be dressed a bit more in-keeping with the place. Our 'waitress' wore jeans! The decor is nice and the food was lovely (although not worth $39 per person!). We also didn't like the fact that we didn't get served tea until the food had been out for ages. We had to stop eating and wait because we all wanted a drink before we had anymore! At the end, when we went up to pay, they told us that they don't have credit card ot eftpos facilities! That is just silly, particularly when you are charging $39+ per person! Luckily, we had enough cash to cover it, otherwise we would've had to go and find an atm and come back. It would've been nice if they mentioned the lack of card payment facilities when we made the booking. Nice, but over priced and I won't be going back again.

3  Thank soph83
Reviewed 26 April 2012

It was a joy to visit antiqutea in Hahndorf , the decor and the exquisite English china made the experiance truly lovely, the sandwiches were tasty, the desserts were delicious, and the scones were light and fluffy , overall the food was superb. Having had high tea at the Windsor Hotel in Melbourne , this place in Hahndorf wins hands down with food, value and ambience. Sylvia and Bill April 2012.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

As a professional tea blender and High Tea lover, I get to as many High Teas as possible. I tend to email in advance to find out whether the tea is up to scratch.
Too often, tea is secondary to the event.

On this occasion, the owner sent a message via facebook and actually asked what we would like.
We replied back and forth and I was happy with what was available.
I need to declare at this point that since we attended, this venue has started offering our teas. (I held back from posting this until that was set in place. Trip Advisor does not allow reviews if there is a commercial relationship, and whilst I'm declaring it now, the visit predates the arrangement.)

With regard to the food, we found it sensational. The best curried egg sandwich ever - salty and delicious. Mini-eclairs we fought over. The mini-banoffi was scrumptious.
The decor is delightful; the service was fantastic and the ambience unmatched. We really like this place.

Most of the High Teas of this type in Adelaide are $40-70 and not as good. But unless you enjoy a slow feast with good company, A high tea is not for you.

And the teas? Well, for reasons detailed above, I'd best leave that to others to judge.