“Try the baby back ribs!”
Review of The German Arms

The German Arms
Ranked #8 of 55 Restaurants in Hahndorf
Cuisines: German, Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2016

Visited this place with family. The attendants were very accommodating. Food servings were large. I couldn't finished one serving on my own and had to share it with more than 1 person. Try the baby back ribs - very tender and large.

Reviewed 8 June 2016

Four of us dropped in on a Saturday for lunch. Nearly full, but we got a table. Walking to the table I noticed there ware some huge plates of food. This was the dish for 2 people and contained a lot of meat. I have the prize winning (?) burger, and it was OK, but jest basic. My wife had a pulled pork roll which also had salad and chips. She asked not to worry about the roll, as she would just leave it. Her meal came out with bread slices instead. My wife ate the food, and at the end of the meal, I looked across and saw that both slices of the bread had mould on them. Not just one spot but many spots. The waiter came to collect our plates and asked if everything was OK. I showed him the mould and he apologise, and took the plate quickly.
There was an offer of a free coffee or desert to my wife, but we needed to go.
I asked for a discount of 10%, and the waiter said he did not have the authority.
At the desk to pay, we asked again, and were given the 10%. Should really have asked for that meal to be free.
Pity that what looks like a good place, can be brought down by attention to detail, and the lack of caring for the customer if something goes wrong.

Reviewed 8 June 2016

Dropped in for lunch while visiting the area. Restaurant was very busy, but we were able to be seated.
Ordered meals for four people. Two meals were very good, one average, and mine was a failure.
I had ordered the Pulled Pork roll and asked them to keep the roll as I would not eat it so it would only be wasted.
When it arrived it had two thick slices of bread on the plate, partially covered with the pork, salad etc on top. I was immediately disappointed as they had used roast pork, not pulled pork. I lifted one piece of bread out of the way and it was very dry. When I had eaten a large majority of the meal, I noticed that the bread slices had several mould spots.
I mentioned this to the waiter when he returned so he could advise the kitchen. He came back and offered coffees for each of us or a dessert to me, but we declined as we don't drink coffees and I didn't want any more food.
My husband suggested a discount may be appropriate but the waiter advised he wasn't authorised to do so. When I went to desk to pay account I asked the waitress there for a discount explaining the situation and she immediately deducted 10%.
A very mixed experience which left a disappointing taint to the outing.

Reviewed 5 June 2016

Not impressed with the Bavarian Brewers Plate, although my friend's lamb shank was tasty. great atmosphere in dining area and lots of diners even though it was mid week.

Reviewed 5 June 2016 via mobile

Went there today for lunch with a group of people, overall disappointed. The staff didn't seam to be at full potential and could tell had abit of attitude.
The food wasn't the best, I had the jager schnitzel (pork), it was dry and if I didn't have the mushroom sauce I wouldn't have been able to eat it, for that and some chips it wasn't worth the money, the presentation was poor, i thought I could do better myself.
I was also curious as to why I paid the same amount of money as a friend next to me who had a chicken schnitzel and she got a side of salad but i wasn't going to make a fuss.
The place is really pretty and relaxed, the fireplace was a really nice touch in the middle of the room on a cold day but not somewhere I'll be recommending to friends for a meal sorry.