“best indian curries!!! ”
Review of The Mustard Seed

The Mustard Seed
Ranked #36 of 57 Restaurants in Hahndorf
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

visited saturday night for dinner.. wonderful old house restaurant with delicious food.. beautiful indian music and lovely waitresses.. will definetly come back with friends and family. great service with yummy food. must recommend for couples, friends and family.. goat curry and new indian samosas were superb.. thanks for very beautiful evening..

Reviewed 23 July 2016

A welcome sight when almost everything else in Hahndorf was closed on a cold, winter evening. The fires were blazing in a quaint, old cottage and the food was really good and excellent value.

1  Thank GregL2259
Reviewed 6 July 2016

I took my family here just to disappoint them. We had very salty curries. We had to request time and again to get our drinks. The kids didnot like their butter chicken and naan breads. Looks like they are using cheap stuffs to save money. The samosas were frozen at the centre. We couldnot find anything impressive. Even the kids didnot want any dessert. They guessed beforehand what it would be like after tasting and hearing us talk, I think.Where are all those beautiful flavours in the Indian curries?? Not recommended. Please ignore this place if possible. It is worse than the cheap Indian eateries in the CBD.

2  Thank robjohnson1955
Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

The one waiter was not communicating with the kitchen.
Slow service
Had run out of lamb cutlets and we were told of this after a wait.
Place is freezing with one heater which we are sitting under
No atmosphere. Stank of mold and stale curry.
Radio playing in the background.
The papadums were stale.
Hahndorf is good for tourists who will never go back to a restaurant again. Tough luck if you are a local.
The Nepalese delights down the road are far more respectful of their customers. Probably because we go there fortnightly. Big mistake coming here tonight. My partner's choice from the entertainment book.
The waiter saw me typing on tripadviser and gave me an extra helping of white wine
The food came. No plates or side plates.
Rice was dry and old. I picked up the whole lot of rice as a lump and asked for fresh rice. It was provided.
The egg plant dish was all potatoes.
We also ordered aloo gobi. The waiter was trying to convince that they were the same.
George the waiter (manager) then retracted his claim after consulting with the chef and the menu and apologized layer for trying to serve us eggplant which was really potatoes. Food was salty. I know what that usually means
This is the worst experience in SA I have had in two years of living here. I hate for visitors to go away thinking that this is all SA has to offer.

2  Thank drk65
Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

Living locally for the last two years we decided to go here as it was in the fine dining section of the Entertainment Book. From the papadums to the mains food was awful. Stale papadums, rice that was caked to the plate, not at all fluffy. Mains we had were tasteless and salty. And the eggplant dish came out with just potatoes. Service was slow and I counted 9 people in the restaurant. It was also really cold even though they advertise log fires outside. Worst food I have ever had calling into self Indian. Avoid and go to. The Nepalese down the road. Far better service and food.

2  Thank Martin C