“Great Lunch”

Price range: US$5 - US$32
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Australian, International, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located just 5 minutes from the heart of Stanthorpe.Experience the rustic charm of the Granite Belt Brewery Restaurant featuring the very best of fresh local produce served with old fashioned country hospitality and of course we have 7 different beers made on-sire. Our chefs are dedicated to creating heart warming meals to satisfy the needs of all diners for all occasions - a romantic dinner for two, family get-together or wedding reception. We can cater for groups of up to 120 people and are fully licensed.Children are also well catered for with the Kids Menu offering all their favourites with healthy options available.The warmth of the homestead decor compliments the rustic, country food perfectly and is a great place to relax after a busy day of wine tasting and sight seeing. There is live entertainment every Saturday evening.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We had a beer paddle which we enjoyed very much, the selection of beers were very flavoursome. We then enjoyed a lovely meal, with good service as well.

Well worth a visit.

Darryl

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went there for my daughter's birthday, big mistake. It started off fine, its a pleasant restaurant and we were seated promptly, got our drinks and starters right away. But then nothing. We waited and waited for our main. After an hour without having a waiter come anywhere near us in the not very busy dining area and having run out of water and drinks long ago I started trying to catch their eye as they wandered past, joyously greeting and chatting leisurely with the family and friends who seemed to make up the bulk of the diners. Eventually we got a waiter who came to clear our plates to find out what had happened to our meals, and finally, about 1 hour 20 minutes after we ordered we got our mains. My daughters burger had half cooked bacon draped across the top and was cold to touch, as was my steak which lay on a pile of soggy cold chips which tasted bitter when I tried them. My wife's calamari was cold and half raw. We got them to cook the bacon a bit longer and bring it back, but when I had a better look at that wretched inedible burger and the slimy raw calamari I decided we didn't want to pay for this. I complained to the front of house manager who kept doubting that we had waited that long and claimed the chefs had been sent congratulatory messages from the diners about how good the steaks were, as if that was supposed to make it all better. To add insult to injury, a table that had seated 1 hour 10 minutes after us got their mains at the same time we did! We ended up having to pay for drinks and entrée, but they graciously waived the bill for the mains, and my daughter left in tears.
Next morning we were both ill. We has both eaten the creamy dip - my wife hadn't and she was fine. Funny coincidence, huh? I think what happened was that our mains had sat there for at least half an hour, possibly longer, before someone could be bothered to serve them. And the attitude of the manager was that it was our problem, not theirs. This place is an abomination and we will never be back.

1  Thank PeterSandgate
happyvr, Owner at Granite Belt Brewery & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Peter,
It is disappointing to receive your negative feedback, especially considering the effort we made to resolve the issues on the night & ensure a pleasant evening for your group.
We always strive to deliver a positive dining experience for our visitors and will always do our very best to rectify any issues. In this instance, not only did we work to accommodate your requests, we did not charge you for any of your groups main meals. It is clear from our communication on the night & your subsequent review, that however hard we tried to make your experience a positive one, this was unlikely.

Kind regards,
Dee Davenport
Owner

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We enjoyed this experience. The food was good and the place has lots of character. They offer good gluten free options. The staff were friendly.

We are really glad you enjoyed your experience with us and thank you for taking the time to write this review.
We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We go to Stanthorpe every year and stay at Happy Valley retreat— which we absolute adore.
Invariably we end up eating at the on-site restaurant, out of laziness and/or an urge to start drinking at 2pm.
I’ve noticed that the menu for the restaurant seems to become less and less enticing every year. The first year we tried the degustation and it was quite enjoyable, the second year we had a steak, which I assume from my previous review I quite enjoyed. But this year, I found the menu to be fairly unappealing. The steak was still on there (as you’d expect), there was fish and chips, an Aussie game burger (which I wasn’t game to try), a Chicken Filo Parcel situation, a Kangaroo and Beef Pot Pie, in addition to a variety of share platters and the beer degustation platter.

I tried the pot pie, and my partner had the steak. I enjoyed my meal. It was a nice pot pie. But it was a bowl of stew covered with a bit of mashed potato and two triangles of puff pastry, that cost over $20. My partner’s Scotch Fillet was perfectly cooked (maybe a tad under medium rare, but she loves a bloody steak, and wasn’t complaining), but was accompanied by a mushroom sauce that was super watery and looked like creamy mushroom soup (but very light on the mushrooms).

As much as I love the retreat, I really do think that the Granite Belt Brewery and Restaurant needs to tweak its menu and incorporate some good gastropub fare: Cheeseburger, ribs, chicken parm, some appetising deep-fried appetisers that will encourage guests to drink more of Geoff’s terrific beer! The venison is a mainstay of the degustation platter, but never seems to be offered on the mains menu. And although I’m not a vegetarian myself, many of my friends are, and the lack of good vegetarian options on the menu is one of the reasons I cannot really recommend the restaurant (while I’m raving on about how much I love the retreat).

So I guess what I’m saying is, I would desperately love the restaurant to be better. I don’t mind that it’s a bit exxy; you pay for the convenience of an on-site restaurant. But I would love to not feel simultaneously ripped off and underwhelmed.

Dear Sammy,
Thank you for your detailed review.
I know that your comments are not all positive, but we really appreciate your honesty and we will use this information to help design our next menu.
On this menu, we have gone with an Aussie Theme, offering a variety of Aussie meats, native fruits, herbs and spices and smoked food using paperbark.
We want to do something different from the other restaurants in the area and offer our tourists an Australian experience.
Our last menus featured burgers and ribs, all the items you spoke about.
We believe this menu offers a good selection of ‘beer friendly’ dishes and a selection of share platters including a game platter with two types of cured venison.
I have shown your review to our chef and he will keep your comments in mind for the next menu.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We wanted a light meal and were pleasantly surprised by the offerings. I had a Pumpkin crepe-type dish which was rich & creamy yet light. 2 of our party enjoyed the Kangaroo & Beef pie and yet another ordered the Calamari which was a huge plate! The dining are is impressive with high ceilings and a lovely deck for summer time dining, overlooking the duck pond.

Thank you so much for your review.
We are delighted you enjoyed your meals and the ambience and hope to see you again in the future.