“Amazing Views”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shelter Cove
The Tides Inn of Shelter Cove
Ranked #3 of 3 Shelter Cove B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Amazing Views”
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I loved my stay at the Tides Inn. The staff were genuinely friendly and helpful. The location was perfect - right on the edge of the ocean and it felt like the edge of the world. From the hotel I could easily go down to the beach and walk around the tide pools or take a short stroll down the street to other spots for seal watching or just a bit further for a longer walk on a secluded beach.

The best part was sleeping with the window open just enough so that I could hear the sound of the waves all night.

My one caution is about the town, not the hotel, that the food options are extremely limited. The hotel's website warned clearly of what to expect from the drive in, but I wish I had been a little better prepared for the lack of dinner choices - only one restaurant in town was open each night I was there. The room had a microwave and fridge, and there are two shops in walking distance that had small food supplies, but I just wish I had planned for this a bit better.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank lemur11215

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I love this place. I went to sleep with the sound of the surf crashing against the rocky shoreline - bliss.

The room was sparkly clean (I almost wondered if the bathroom had ever been used before - it was that clean) and there was a whole pile of pillows. Upon check-in, there was a basket filled with snacks and things for consumption during my stay. There is a DVD player and VCR (?!) in the room along with satellite TV.

Now for the low down. Shelter Cove is a quiet very remote little town that requires a windy 23 miles drive from the 101. Most cell phones do not work here and there is a limited number of things to do. Restaurants are open sporadically and there is no real shopping, etc... so why come here? It is a lovely, relaxing get away.

From the Inn, you can head down to the rocky shore and explore the tide pools at low tide, sit outside your room with a bottle of wine and just enjoy the peaceful sounds of silence.

OH.... if you can't find the ceiling fan control, check along the wall behind lamp shades..mine was on the far wall hiding behind the bedside lamp. :)

I will be staying here again if I make my way back up here. Rooms are around $150 and up.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank SheridanInLA
Toronto
Reviewed 30 June 2010

The Tides Inn provides a comfortable stay in a magical location. We stayed in one of the mini-suites which contained a separate living area with sliding glass doors out to a private balcony in which to enjoy the fantastic view and listen to the sounds of the ocean which is right there. There is plenty of nature to enjoy from the tide pools right below the inn, to the black sand beach a short walk away ... highly recommend hiking this beach.
We ate at the restaurant next door each night; the food was good, service a little brisk. For lunch, there is an excellent tea house in town serving homemade food.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lucky_e
Sequim
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Everything the previous reviewers have said is true! This part of the California Coast is astonishingly beautiful and the Tides Inn is one of the best places to enjoy it. Make sure your brakes are good and use lower gears on the descent down.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Northwestlady
Denver, CO
Reviewed 27 March 2010

We stayed two nights in one of the full suite at the Tides Inn which was VERY comfortable. We stayed in Shelter Cove before driving the Avenue of the Giants. Not sure I would recommend as a "Base" to stay while touring the redwoods since it takes an hour to drive out to the 101. But we really enjoyed our side trip to Shelter Cove and if you have time, would recommend to others.

Restaurant options are limited so I strongly recommend stopping at either of the grocery stores after you exit 101 to get food to prepare in your room. We were glad we did.

Regarding things to do the Tidepooling was spectacular. A tide schedule is available in the office or via the internet. Pay careful attention to the schedule , it's crazy how the areas you are walking in will soon be covered again by the water. And make sure you wear proper foot gear those rocks are slippery. The Black Sands beach is also VERY Beautiful with huge waves crashing on the rocks. Just gorgeous. We also enjoyed stopping at seal rock and looking at the wildlife. There is a notebook in the rooms with interesting info about tidepools and Shelter Cove.

Since lots of people are wondering about cell service, our AT&T IPhones did NOT work for calls, but with the complimentary wifi was able to use email. Our teenage son did find an app where he could still text.

Overall, lovely stay for those who want to get away from it all and relax (that is AFTER the drive over the mountain). And Julie is everything all the other reviewers have said.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
25.9 km away
Dean Creek Resort
Dean Creek Resort
#1 of 1 in Redway

Been to The Tides Inn of Shelter Cove? Share your experiences!