“Beautiful food”

Price range: US$6 - US$28
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Anchor Inn is a beautiful vintage coaching inn licenced in 1699 and purchased by Robinson's brewery in 1964. Nestled on the outskirts of the beautiful Peak District village of Tideswell nr Buxton. We offer traditional English home made food 7 days a week from 12 until 9pm. ] Our well stocked bar boasts 4 real ales, 3 draught beers including Birra moretti & Veltins Pilsner, and a fine range of wines and spirits.
Reviewed 18 June 2021

We visited The Anchor for food during a 5 nihht stay in Tideswell. We had been previously disappointed with other pubs in the village so decided to make the short 5 - 10 minute walk out of the village to The Anchor.
We were so glad we did....the food was fantastic to say the least. Everything was cooked to perfection & good sized portions. The menu offered a good selection & the staff were friendly & welcoming.
Upon completementing the chef to the waitress we were informed he is a young local lad, may i say he is real credit to you.
The only negative we have is the drinks are a little pricey but overall a very enjoyable experience & we will certainly visit again next time we're in Tideswell

1  Thank Dogslife1976
CourtneySCC66, General Manager at The Anchor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2021

Thank you so much for coming slightly out of the village to visit us and leave us this positive review. The whole team are absolutely delighted with your lovely comments (especially Jamie the chef ). We look forward to seeing you again sometime in the future.. until then stay safe and well .. Serena Courtney

Write a reviewReviews (492)

Reviewed 9 June 2021

Sticky and grotty, faded decor,dark inside ,food was uninspiring, most off putting is the grotty old ornaments dotted about with cobwebs I noted on the windowsill where we sat, nice place to watch the traffic rumble past outside .

Rick E, Owner at The Anchor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2021

Hello. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. Fortunately there was a vote at The Anchor Inn some days ago where I was elected overwhelmingly to come out of retirement, to answer your ridiculous feedback. It's great to be back.

looking through your history, you seem to fondness for the words "grotty" and "rubbish". I suppose, whilst these words are completely groundless and carry no reasonable explanation of your complaint, they are easy to work with and don't take much imagination when your trying to destroy and establishment. Almost "uninspiring" like our menu. I find it important to point out that there are in fact other ratings than 1 out of 5, and 5 out of 5. Then again, such reviews might require some imagination. Second thoughts, probably best sticking to what you know.

OK. I get it. You don't like our little old pub, but realistically, what was sticky? What about our decor was faded? The beams? The oak panelling? In all honesty, I don't really want my heritage pub to look like a magnolia Barret show home. I get all my "grotty old ornaments" from antiques shops, and that's how I like it. It might not be your cup of tea, but I wouldn't have the first idea about buying commercial tat from IKEA or Wayfair, I'm afraid that's just not what I'm aiming for.

For future reference, if you want to valuate an establishment (regardless of weather you are educated to do so or not), I suggest you review the service, friendliness and professionalism of the team, and quality of the product. This way, establishments might know what (if anything) was wrong with your visit, and might even learn something to improve for the future.

Thank you again for allowing me to respond. It was most enjoyable.
Rick (grotty, rubbish, uninspiring pub landlord)

Reviewed 9 June 2021 via mobile

Great place great staff, very friendly and very helpful, food is spot on, me and my wife hade the burger, definitely one of the best I’ve had, all tasted homemade, the car park is very large so no problem parking. If you are looking for a great meal pop in.

2  Thank eurostarMerseyside
CourtneySCC66, General Manager at The Anchor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2021

Thank you so much for your lovely review and recommendation to future guests. The team here were delighted with your 5 star feedback and comments. We really appreciate you taking time to let us know that you enjoyed your visit with us and very much hope to welcome you back again sometime. In the meantime stay safe and well… Serena Courtney

Reviewed 2 June 2021

Visited this evening couldn’t fault the service, the waitresses were very attentive. We had the jerk pork, pulled pork burger and salt and pepper chicken and really couldn’t have asked for it to be any yummier little wait for food but definitely worth it!

4  Thank 493summerr
CourtneySCC66, General Manager at The Anchor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2021

Thank you so much for this great review of your visit to the Anchor Inn. The team are delighted with your comments and we would love to welcome you back again sometime in the future if you are in the area.. In the meantime stay safe and well.. Serena Courtney

Reviewed 31 May 2021

Due to the pandemic, pubs, pub suppers, good ales, and friendly table service were threatening to become a distant memory. Could the Anchor Inn - still burdened by enforced (and sensible!) anti covid measures still get across some of the magic that makes places like this special?

Yes. Yes it could. Food was delicious, reasonably priced and with a fair few options that elevated it beyond the usual pyhb service excellent (even more so if you were a dog), and

Even tied to Robinsons(?) it still had an excellent range of ale,

Date of visit: May 2021
1  Thank TomathonN
CourtneySCC66, General Manager at The Anchor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2021

Hello and thank you so much for your fabulous feedback. The team here were absolutely delighted to read your comments. We love this little pub so it’s always nice to hear that our guests do too ! Hopefully we can welcome you back again sometime in the future. Stay safe and well ... Serena Courtney