“Best steak and ale pie I have ever had”
Review of The Anchor Inn

The Anchor Inn
Ranked #3 of 16 Restaurants in Tideswell
Price range: US$6 - US$21
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Anchor Inn is a beautiful vintage coaching inn licenced in 1699 and purchased by Robinson's brewery in 1964. Nestled on the outskirts of the beautiful Peak District village of Tideswell nr Buxton. We offer traditional English home made food 7 days a week from 12 until 9pm. ] Our well stocked bar boasts 4 real ales, 3 draught beers including Birra moretti & Veltins Pilsner, and a fine range of wines and spirits.
Reviewed 11 May 2019

I have eaten here a few times and the food is always great, the staff friendly and the other patrons chatty. Last time of visiting I had a steak and ale pie, which was the best I have ever had. I would certainly recommend.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank Vaughan B
712RickE, Owner at The Anchor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2019

Hello again.
Thank you so much for such a wonderful review.
I will most certainly inform our new chef of your feedback on his homemade Steak and Ale pie.
Thanks again.
Rick

Write a reviewReviews (471)

Reviewed 15 April 2019

We ate Sunday lunch here yesterday. We have eaten here before and really enjoyed it but today I would have given my plate 5 out of 10. I was disappointed the chicken wasn't sliced, from a whole chicken, it was a chicken portion. It seemed quite sparse for £11 and I really didn't feel like I'd had my money's worth. The chicken wasn't that hot, the roast potatoes burned my mouth (probably been in the microwave) and the only veg were one small piece of cauliflower, some strips of swede and a sea of peas. I would eat here again as its a lovely old cosy pub but not Sunday lunch.

Date of visit: April 2019
3  Thank mitchmags
712RickE, Owner at The Anchor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2019

Hello.
Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your feedback.
As previously mentioned, we had been going through some major staff changes at The Anchor Inn at the time of your visit. This is of course no excuse.

I very much appreciate your decision of being happy to give us another try some day, and I would very much like to treat you and your party to one of our new Sunday roasts. I'm sure that you will find the experience a very different one (for the better of course).

Please feel free to get in touch via our website soon.
I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 14 April 2019 via mobile

Reviews were largely positive and this pub/restaurant high up in the Top 10 for Tideswell area. We were therefore very disappointed when we booked for Sunday lunch earlier today.

Poor service included the barmaid pouring the wrong beer, not knowing her menu “I didn’t know bread & olives were on our menu, must be new” and then telling us that we couldn’t have Sunday roasts because chef had run out of potatoes and veg and it would be “at least a couple of hours until he has cooked some more”. Bear in mind we had pre-booked and it was only 2:15pm!!

We finished our drinks and walked to the George Inn (15mins) where they served a roast all day, we were welcomed despite not booking and got 4 great plates of food - we will be back to the George...but not the Anchor.

Date of visit: April 2019
2  Thank 277neils

Hello there.
I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't have a great visit to our little pub. I'm afraid at the time of your visit, we were just going through some major staff changes that were taking some time to get right. This is of course no excuse what so ever.

I was mortified that day when I was made aware of the kitchen running out of roast dinners at 2:15 PM. This is of course completely ridiculous. I seriously have know idea why our chef at the time considered this as acceptable.

I do hope you can give The Anchor Inn another try one day. It took so long and so much hard work to get such a reputation for high quality home made food, such poor service will most certainly not happen again.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2019

We completely enjoyed our meals was very nice, compliments to the chefs, very friendly bar staff and locals, really good deal.

We will be coming here again “we’ll done guys”

Date of visit: January 2019
712RickE, Owner at The Anchor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2019

Hello.
Thank you ever so much for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2019

Stumbled across the pub thanks to our dodgy SatNav, but I thanked it this time. Nice staff, speedy service, and good filling food. The steak pie was great and the burger was massive. Didn't eat again for about seven hours afterwards!

It's just off the main road but easy to zoom past unless you have an equally dodgy SatNav, with plenty of parking.

Will be back for some treacle sponge when next in the area.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank HawkerFamily
712RickE, Owner at The Anchor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2019

Hello.
Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback. I do hope that your SatNav brings you for another visit again soon.
Thank you for taking the time to review our little pub.