“Good food. Dated accommodation. ”

The Dog & Partridge Country Inn Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Swinscoe
Price range: US$6 - US$26
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights and had a good time, although we found it a bit dated and haphazard.
The plus points: the food was very good. We ate in the conservatory restaurant on Friday evening and really enjoyed our meals, I had the prawn and salmon oatcake and my husband the steak and Stilton pie. Veggies were done al dente with generous portions and were delicious. My lemon posset dessert was gorgeous!
We had to leave for a function early on Saturday morning, and the staff were very accommodating - allowing us in to breakfast early on the understanding that it would be continental only. We very much appreciated this and the selection of cereals, toast, pastries etc on offer was extensive. The following morning we had the full English breakfast and again it was very good.

Our accommodation was in a 60s chalet in the grounds. I was initially dismayed when I saw how dated it was but to be fair it was clean and comfy with a good bed, and a refurbished bathroom. The downside was that the walls were thin and we could hear every conversation and movement from the chalet that backed on to ours. We found it hard to relax as a result and would not stay in a chalet like this again.

We didn’t have a special deal and thought it was quite expensive for the quality of accommodation. But we really enjoyed the food!

Reviewed 17 August 2018

We walked to this pub from the campsite just up the road. A treat for our first evening we thought.....unfortunately we were not impressed. We were both tempted by the Staffordshire oatcakes, which were very nice, but the filling was leek, a very over powering Stilton sauce and uncooked (and unpeeled) apple slices. A very strange combination and overpriced for the amount of food on the plate. We beat a hasty retreat back to our tent!

3  Thank Jane C
Reviewed 16 August 2018

Went in August 2018 (2 adults and three kids). Paid around £380 for 2 nights B&B

Good:
Perfect for Alton towers
Great Customer Service
Friendly staff
Large kids play area
Quality kids food
TVs in each room
Family orientated
Steak and Ale Pie very nice
Great breakfast (and well organised)

The Bad
Waiter had a serious BO problem, I had to ask for another server
Room had mold in the bathroom and the bottom of the curtains
Rusty towel rail
Terrible wifi
Veg served with dinner are as bad as I have ever had

Overall, for the money I didnt expect mold and rust in our family room, These are easily fixed and cheap to do. The wifi can be sorted with a BT whole home wifi (again cheap to do). With a bit of tinkering could be great

1  Thank Alex P
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

It’s always difficult who to believe on TripAdvisor, so we took a gamble on eating at the Dog and Partridge. The meal was great. Home cooked, well presented and very tasty. The service was great and we were treated warmly and Brett who served us, couldn’t do enough. Yes, we will most definitely go back when we are back over this way.

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

I came with a group of teachers who has spend the day rambling around Ilam so we were ready for a feast. The menu looked great but unfortunately the food itself was universally disliked by all 17 in the party. I ordered the baked cheese to start which arrived cold, thankfully the staff room it back to be reheated properly. I then had the steak which was essentially expensive gristle. One woman in our party brought her son who was ravenous after a 5 hour hike - he only ate half of his burger because he was so dissatisfied. Another woman in our party told a member of staff that she was unhappy with her meal only to be patronized and told she couldn't possibly dislike her meal because she ate some of it. After a slanging match between herself and said server, they reluctantly agreed to remove her meal from the bill. What a miserable ending to what should have been a lovely day. I would suggest the management retrain their staff - especially the chefs and front facing staff.

4  Thank Nhickox
D&PInn, Owner at The Dog & Partridge Country Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

We have taken your comments on board, but there are two sides to this story, but we are always disappointed when guest are not happy