All reviewslovely hotelservice chargepeak districtsuperior roomsingle roombar menuthe ground floorone night staycar parkrooms are comfortablehotel restaurantstaff were welcomingspecial occasionbreakfast was excellentenjoyable staywaiting staffhigh standard
Reviewed 27 May 2018

We stayed in The George for the weekend in a large suite bedroom - like a mini flat with two rooms and a bathroom- beautifully decorated, very comfy bed and everything you need. We ate dinner one night, and also met up with family for lunch - both in the hotel restaurant. Great food, but not cheap, and there is no option of having the lunch menu if you eat in the restaurant - it is only available in the bar/lounge area. The breakfast is also good, although the full breakfast (George's Grill) is not as good as when I stayed a year or so ago. The staff are great, very friendly, and this is a lovely place to stay - with adjacent parking. Only drawbacks are weak wi-fi, no wheelchair accessible toilet, and the sometimes unexpected appearances of the hotel owner who doesn't introduce himself, wears very casual clothes and ambles in to direct the formally suited and booted staff. The George does seem to have a very good atmosphere and happy staff, so it is probably more confusing to the customer!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RosieKateGlasgow
Reviewed 26 May 2018

Visiting Chatsworth house so booked to stay for 2 nights at George Hotel. On arrival greeted by receptionist lovely lady very helpful i had a single room looking out onto the main road - room spacious and very clean particularly liked having an armchair in the room for relaxing separate bathroom with Gilchrist & Soames toiletries very nice touch. Whilst in tbe room it sounded like a very loud motor was running all the time so went back to reception and asked the receptiinist if she could tell me what it was. She came to the room and agreed it was very loud and said she would find out and come back to me which she did very quickly - it was something to do with the water pump and offered to swap my room . The room i was given was av double room very nice and she said that the price would be the same. The bed very comfortable, pillows very good and the linens on the bed very nice too. All in all a very good hotel with excellent staff a credit to the hotel.

Breakfast very good selection of options well presented and everything tasted excellent. Didnt eat in the evening but the restaurant was very busy so must have been very good.

Would defintely stay again

Room Tip: Room 17 absolutely lovely
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights at the George using it as a base for a walking and touring stay in the Peak District. It advertises itself as a superior 3 star hotel and that is exactly what it is. The reception was friendly and efficient. The room was spacious and well appointed if a bit stuffy at night. Opening the windows helped as there is little traffic noise overnight. Housekeeping was also efficient. Closet space was a bit cramped and the coffee making facilities were in the wardrobe!
Breakfasts choices were good and food arrived commendably quickly. The dinner menus were a bit limited and did not change during our stay which meant that by the last night we were struggling to choose something. A daily special would have helped. We had some really well cooked dishes - grilled sea trout and slow cooked beef stand out - but a canelloni of purple potato was perhaps an experiment too far. The wine list was reasonably priced and had a good variety of offerings. Service was attentive but maybe a tad too speedy for a relaxed evening meal - it was possible to be through in less than an hour from sitting down.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and appreciated the efforts of all the staff.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MikeDGlos
Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

It was on a warm spring morning that I turned up at the so called “George”. My bags were airlifted because of my unusual luggage for the equestrian trials but no helipad was provided upon my arrival. “Hot diggety” I thought to myself, but nonetheless I walked on in with a smile and jolly skip in my stride. However, on my way in I saw a horrific sight. Some sheep had been incarcerated in Molton wax! And placed along with some rather garish boulders and a masse fergie v2 9er. This scared the living day lights out of me. Then, to my utter bewilderment, one of the waiters came out and put a whick in the top of one and lit it like a candle.

Overall a nice stay, looks like miss Havisham’s grotto.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Billy_Scranner
Reviewed 14 May 2018

We were going to a wedding close to the George so we chose the hotel purely for location. It turned out to be a super find. Lovely room, friendly efficient staff and great breakfast. Thoroughly recommended.

Stayed: May 2018